Asomugha and Houston all about money

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, May 16, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

From ESPN:

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

You know, teams are not allowed to talk the players right now. But there isn't anything stopping John Clayton from talking to the players or the agent. Instead of writing bullshit like this, why don't he talk to Asomugha & find out if anyone talked to him that one day the stay was lifted, or what he would consider his ideal situation, or if Houston is even a consideration.

We won't be the only team offering Nmandi money, & if a chance to play for a championship is one of his requirements, we can drop this right now.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

4. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

As much as I'm against going over the Cap even for sure things, I really think it would send a message and I hope we try like hell (See Avatar). Hell it would sure fire up the fan base. McNair would sell about 100,000 Jerseys the first week!!!!!

Aren't Aso and Dre good friends, come on Dre get him to sign!!!!!!!!

Aso strikes me as a guy who will have plenty of good years left in him even if he's 30. If they can strike a deal, combined with Wade coming in I think this team would finally have the confidence to feel like they could take anyone on every Sunday with out wondering if the Offense comes out of the gate hot.

If I was still lucky enough to live in Houston, I'd be holding a picket sign in front of Reliant every night until FA ends. (When ever it finally starts!!!)

5. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

sign aso and cromartie!!!! CHAMPIONSHIIIPPPP hahahha :hurrah:

6. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Honestly, how successfully do DBs make transitions?

Remember when nate clements was expected to be the next best thing? Is he doing well in SF? (Im curious, I dont know)

Sometimes FAs are products of a system. I'm worried about breaking the bank if he doesn't perform

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

No they wont be the only team to make him an offer , but if you fix the back end of this defense you have a team that can win it all .... and signing Aso does just that , fixes the back end while making the rest of the guys around him better.

8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

The highest profile FA's of 2009 & 2010 were Albert Haynesworth and Julius Peppers respectively. Neither the Redskins, nor the Bears had finished above .500 the previous season. Washingon's cumulative record the three seasons prior to Haynesworth signing was 22-26. Chicago's was 23-28 (just like the Texans currently).

I'm guessing that teams more likely to play for a championship were interested in their services, but they both ended up with teams very few people considered serious contenders.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Not exactly. A lot of people were talking about Clements & Samuel raping desperate teams.

They are/were about as good as Cromartie, not worth the money they got. Like Dunta, he's not a bad corner.... maybe even above average. But not worth elite money.

FA gets teams in a bad situation. When the market is weak, weak teams get desperate and over spend, which puts them into the a tail spin that is difficult to get out of.... look at San Fran.

FA is almost as bad as the draft. Even if you're average, if you are the best thing on the market, you get paid like a future hall of famer.... look at Winslow in TB.

If the best FA on the market is a LB, or a Safety, or a WR (Steve Smith) I'd rather put my money there, than in an overpriced Corner.

Speaking of Cromartie.

Aso is worth the money, so is Joseph.. & the argument can be made for Grimes. Other than that, I would pass on the "next best CB"

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't think so. Haynesworth wasn't going anywhere but Washington. Everybody else knew he was in it for the money. Playing his ass off in a contract year.... always finding a reason to not be on the field otherwise.

Peppers was on the downside of his career.

Neither situation compares to Nmandi. Nmandi is only going to get better over the next 5 years or so & he's played lights out from day one.

11. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Peppers did great last season for being on the downside of his career.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

He sure did. Chicago rolled the dice & it worked out for them.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Who else was bidding for the services of Julius Peppers?

13. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

He also had double-digit sacks and pro-bowl appearances in the two seasons immediately preceding his signing with Chicago.

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Didn't he sign a seven year deal?

15. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Samuel has been good on the Eagles since he left the Pats. Bailey was pretty good in Denver and I know Woodson has been alright on the Packers. Deon was good everywhere he went (except the last place, I forget which team that was).

I think Aso would be good just because he's been good for years, and the Raiders front 7 isn't exactly a QB pressure machine. Not saying it's a for sure thing, but it's about as close as you can get.

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I think the Ravens were the last team for Deon six years ago.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Then I'll say it. Nnamdi Asomugha is a sure thing. And there's a lot of smoke concerning Nnamdi and Houston.

Will the Texans have to offer Asomugha more $$$ than any other team? Yes. And I don't have a problem with that. The players in the most demand should earn the most money.

18. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Exactly.

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Its hard to imagine Bob outbidding Jerry. I'll have to see it to believe it :shades:

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

At some point in his life, McNair had to spend money to make money. Hopefully, Phillips can sell Aso or Cromartie through to pry that wallet open.