Article - Is Leinart better than you think by Bill Barnwell

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansBull, Nov 15, 2011.

1. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/9741/is-matt-leinart-better-than-you-think

I think this is fairly accurate in the fact that noone knows how Leinart is going to play when he starts. Its a problem of a former head coach that may not have given him a fair shake, the fact he hasn't played that much, and the questions about leadership, confidence, and commitment.

When we see how he plays but I am optimistic with the weapons and scheme he has to make him better than he actually is. Kubes will be tested as the QB Guru.

2. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Good read and interesting viewpoint. He seems to like the system here and working under Kubes as he turned down the job in Seattle. He just needs be a "game manager" and build his confindence. He's got the supporting cast. I think we still can go 3-3 over our next 6. Here's to hoping he's ready to play and can do so effectively, in his words this is what he has been waiting for, so we shall see.

I couldn't help but snicker at this snippet:

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Arizona Matt----> Immature. Party life. Broken collar bone. Kurt Warner

Houston Matt -----> Humbled, matured, and decided to sign as a back-up here as opposed to starting in Seatle with Pete Carroll, so that he could continue to develop with Kubiak's system.

I like Matt's chances.

*EDIT*

I'm not suggesting that he will be the second coming of Johnny Unitas, but he won't be Johnny Utah, either.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

He was making poor reads in the preseason from what I could gather. He has all the tools, but we'll see what he can do with them now.

5. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

That's the great equalizer right there. It's up to him.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

Good read.

I've been having these awesome visions of Leinart becoming the top ten pick he was drafted as and flourishing in our system.

I actually think he has a chance to be really good in our system...especially if he can get a little confidence...

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

No sexbox for Leinart. :tiphat:

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

he has got to be better than sanchez? right ? I Hope :splits:

time will tell
    :cow:

9. dave2005

dave2005 Rookie

Leinart show us why you won the Heisman

10. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

Do you think that had anything to do with him playing with the 2nd team? And if you are talking about when he was playing with the 1st team, don't you think that is too small of a sample size to judge?

I'm not doubting that he was making poor reads and/or still will make poor reads.

11. Kgbmedic

Kgbmedic M1 Tanker

I can only hope that my expectation of Matt is lived up too. Not that he knows me, but I expect him to do just what every other player on our team has done. Stepped In and Stepped up.

I like the Next Man up mentality this team has exhibited many times over. It is infectious, I believe that he too has been infected, and will perform above expectations. This will only make the story sweeter once we have made it.

12. Vinny

not finding the open guy is on him I'd assume. It was a no practice preseason though. I'm looking forward to seeing Leinart to tell the truth.

Schaub has been very average all year, but I think he may have been injured for a while. John McClain said that Leinart and Schaub were splitting snaps earlier before this injury (interview below). McClain said Leinart was taking HALF the reps with the first team for an entire month. First I've heard of this. BTW, Schaub's contract ends this season...he is a UFA at the end of the year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/15/pft-live-can-leinart-keep-texans-on-top/

thanks to feebleminded for giving me the heads up on this

13. ChrisG

ChrisG Road Fan

I would love for him to play good and show promise. Im not expecting a verteran skill level. Just show some promise and maybe give schaub some competition in a few years.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I have to admit that the idea has been nibbling at the edge of my mind, too.

Maybe he just needed some time to sit and reflect and get his head screwed on right.

15. Vinny

Schaub's contract is up at the EOY....would make an interesting situation.

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yeah, do you re-sign the guy who's led the league in passing and played well for you for years or do you go with the guy who won a Super Bowl for you.

Decisions, decisions...

:cow:

17. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I bet that cow makes a sweet little milk shake.

18. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Yeah, Kubiak scaled back what he was asking him to do from the Saints game to the 49ers game and he played better. Also oline issues.

As y'all may recall, he was playing behind a garbage line due to a lot of injuries--guys who were backup backups, never really played much together. Pass rush was in his kitchen quickly. I was afraid he was going to get killed.

Vinny likes this.
  19. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

I don't get it when people say he has all the tools. He has poor arm strength and on top of that he's a lefty. Not too many of the good qb in the nfl are lefty's. We just have to hope his decision making had gotten better. In Kubiaks system there's always a place where the ball can go. Especially since we have a dominate running game it should be even more open for Lienart to throw to hopefully. So I'm not expecting an Aaron Rodgers performance, just a couple of dinks and dunks that grab 6 to 7 yards a completions.

20. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I don't think this ends well - but I hope like hell I am wrong.

What he might have better than Schaub? A slightly better arm, and slightly better mobility (damning with faint praise). Might be a harder "take down" by a rusher as he is built better and is a bit more athletic. I like his release point a bit better - more overhanded than Matt S more sidearmed delivery - so potentially fewer batter balls.

Worse? To me, mentally Matt S is light years ahead of Matt L. Leinart never really seems to know where he is going with the ball, and the guy has to be wide open or he won't throw it....making him a statue back there. You think Schaub holds the ball too long...just wait! He is indesive as hell. Sacks are fixing to go up - way up imo. He also seems to rarely test the secondary deep, or even in the medium range. How many balls has he thrown here beyond 10-15 yards...and that is pushing it. It's ALL dink and dunk.

His accuracy is lousy. Schaub has been medicore this year in his accuracy, probably his worst year - but Leinert would be extremely lucky to be anywhere near as accurate as Schaub at his worst. Not exactly what you are looking for.

He has a long windup and a very slow release. He is so indecisve I don't see where it matters about his better arm slot and he just has this long wind up like he is Nolan Ryan. Interceptions are fixing to go way up, leading to higher scores by the opposition as the D will be put into way more bad spots due to turnovers and increased punting.

Schaub has total command of the offense and just has it together between his ears. When the ball is snapped, Schaub knows exactly where he wants to go, goes thru his progressions, "Generally" doesn't make bone-headed throws (yes he makes some like all QB's not named the top 3) has learned to protect the ball better, and is willing to throw it into the cheap seats instead of throwing a pick. Leinart as a QB is just dumb. Sorry, he is. Might be a smart person, but his football/QB IQ is borderline retarded.

If I was a student assigned a homework assignment to draw up the charastericstics of a great QB, and I turned in Schaub and Leinart as my report to turn in, I would get a B turning in my Schaub homework, and a D+ turning in my Leinart homework.

I wish I could be more postive. I'm trying hard. But I just don't see it myself. If the Texans are to go anywhere, Leinart has to be our Trent Dilfer - in other words, just get out of the way and don't screw up and make things worse. If he does that, we have a fighting chance. If he is a screw-up, we have zero chance of doing anything.