Article About Texans and their draft.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Here's an AP article worth reading. In part...

I thought it was 50/50 that Spencer would be able to start the season, not 50/50 that he could play at all.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Have to be careful with this kind of reporting. Kubiak made the 50/50 comment a couple months ago but it keeps getting reported as new and restated rather than quoted.

3. Texans_Chick

Yuppers. McClain said on the radio that the number was better than 50/50 lately. Lance Z mentioned that the stuff he had heard is that even if he does play, it will take a year to determine if he has an arthritic condition in the knee.

Ultimately, I don't think really anything has changed with the story as they have said since the end of last season:

1. They've said they aren't going to count on any injured players as being alright. If they are, it will be gravy.

2. They are going to take the BPA and not reach for need.

3. They were going to use the offseason to make it less necessary to reach for need and to create depth.

4. Spencer's injury is a serious one and an unusual one for a football player. (Makes it particularly hard to project recovery time). It is going to take time to see how he will be able to play.

4. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I'm a realist who likes to keep a lid on his expectations. Therefor my hope and also most optimistic expectation is that Spencer has finished rehab and is fit and ready to seriously compete for a starting position on the OLine in Summer training camp. And that's the training camp of 2008, not this year.

Runner likes this.
  5. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I do think they have done just that. They have added depth, not a stud or star player, just depth. The one thing that has always got me about articles is that they use a quote from a person but you hardly ever see the question that was possed to get the quote, why is that??

Runner likes this.
  6. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

The smart move is to act as if Spencer will be on IR this upcoming season.

7. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I think they are gradually breaking the news to the fan base.

8. feebleminded

feebleminded .

View attachment 225

9. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I know. Sorry.

10. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

even if spencer isn't ready i hope we dont draft levi.

11. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

No worries. We got I-65 to replace him...and Salaam - he did REALLY well last year (my eyes still don't agree, but the fanbase assures me he is a terrific player)...

12. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I think its easy for Kubes to say that we will take the best player available this year because we have a lot of needs. In a few years, hopefully, he wonÂ’t be able to say that any more. Also, there seems to be a lot of players who could easily be considered No. 10 talent. I think Kubes and Smith have a very big decision in front of them.

13. Da_General

Da_General Obnoxious Musician

I agree, but only to a point. What if the BPA is a MLB or QB? Do we draft a position that's not an upgrade over what we already have?

BPAOIWNTUTP

(Best Player Available Only If We Need To Upgrade That Position)

14. CrunkTex

CrunkTex Balllllllin

No matter who the Texans draft, I think we should make him apologize to the fans for future underperformance at his introduction press conference. That way we'll be elated when he's only a modest bust and not a Travis Johnson-esque bust.

15. False Start

False Start On # 69

Taking the BPA seems to be the smart thing to do IMO . With as many needs the team has they need an upgrade at every position . There isn't one position on this team that I can honestly say that they are "set" at . Unless there is a trade down scenario that gives a 15-20 pick , a second rounder this year , and maybe a conditional second rounder next year , that would be cool .

16. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

That's a dumb thing to say. I don't think there will be many players that will be busts in the top 10 of this draft. I hope we don't draft Brown or Branch though. I all reality though, we never should have moved back to draft TJ. That was a bust in itself. I think we should have pursued Brown or Baron at tackle.

17. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

It was just sarcasm, shaft! :shades:

18. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I know 76, but it wasn't the least bit funny... :bat:

19. Texans_Chick

You know what.......

I might not want QB, but if Patrick Willis was the BPA at #10 and there is no great trade offer, I would be absolutely fine with them picking him with that pick.

20. Da_General

Da_General Obnoxious Musician

Good example. But that leads us off on the tangent of who gets to move outside...him or DeMeco...pretty good problem to have if it comes to that. I just chose that position because it's obvious after last year that we've got a pretty darn good MLB right now and there are other positions of more importance. Just about all of them, actually.

Honest truth, and I've not said anything up to this point...I'd most like to see us take a lineman...EITHER line...whichever is the BPA. All of the best teams throughout history have had either strong Olines or Dlines or both. Sorry to run out yet another cliche', but the game is usually won or lost in the trenches.