Arnie wants 2 teams in LA

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Errant Hothy, May 2, 2006.

1. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

After meeting with a group of NFL owners, Schwarzenegger said he was there to make sure "we're getting not only one NFL team to the Los Angeles area, Southern California, but to actually get two teams. That's why I came. Why limit it?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2430018

Oh boy. Havn't we learned that LA cannot support an NFL team?

2. swisher

swisher Old School

The entire state of Texas has two teams, and he thinks the city of Los Angeles deserves two?

3. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

4. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

This is LA we're talking about. Not the smartest city in the world.

5. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I've heard rumors the Chargers might move to LA.

6. Eyeguy

Eyeguy Veteran

7. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

L.A. already has pro-football team...:rolleyes:
    Just ask Reggie Bush and USC...:stirpot:

8. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I just will never understand why the NFL pushes so hard to get a team where no one cares if they have it. The NFL is as successful as it's ever been WITHOUT a team in LA. Greedy bastards!

9. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

We kinda talked about this in a different thread and I still don't have the exact numbers yet on the current CBA, however here is an old article that explains the old system

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/12-14cba.htm

That means it is good for everyone to have a team in the LA market. It is in the NFL's best interest to have a team in LA to increase the value of their TV deals ( that sends money to all 32 teams ).

I can't help you with what is going on right now because I haven't seen the new CBA details... however I am guessing that part of what pushed the deal through is a general agreement behind closed doors that the tide will rise by moving some yachts ( language that owners can understand ).

This is why "I" think we are seeing a 'hot' push to put something in L.A.

again
    note that it is only an opinion and just speculation without seeing the current CBA

10. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Judging from the look on that guy's face on Friday night when he found out we agreed to terms with Mario....I don't buy it for a second.

11. Hawg

Hawg Rookie

CAL EE FORN EE A- Arnie

12. nflnutswife

nflnutswife Hall of Fame

Is it really possible for California to have 5 NFL teams? Aren't there some kind of restrictions? I know my parents (Socal residents) won't want a team because right now they get several games televised instead of the local team.

Right now there are two very large construction sites developing in the Anaheim area. One indicated it's a new Disney adventure. but the other they tore down a landmark arena (melodyland)? It can certainly handle a stadium. (parking. . .?) :stirpot:

13. Bullpen Drew

Bullpen Drew All Pro

Chuck Norris IS a football team....

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Arnold is just being "over the top" for the media. It's what he does and I imagine that by now it comes as naturally to him as picking up a barbell. It doesn't mean anything and the NFL would never put two teams in the L.A.

They weren't all that happy about it when it happened the first time. One team is fine and they will support that team enough to make it work. They like football in L.A. just fine. They just will not go out of their way to bring the pro game back.

If the league and the state get together to engineer a situation to put pro football there then it will be watched. Apparently the NFL has decided that a team in L.A. is important enough to make it happen.

15. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

Well, if SD moves to LA, and NO moves to LA, I guess there could be two teams in LA.

Orange County is the site for a "new" LA team. The Coliseum is the site for another NFL team.

I guess it is all up to which owner will pony up the dough to move into the newer Orange County site.

I could see why Bush would want to move to LA and play in the Colliseum, but I do not think Benson wants that.

I remember talk that AZ and MIN would move. You can scratch AZ, and I guess MIN could always move to SA.

16. Bullpen Drew

Bullpen Drew All Pro

Red McCombs sold the team.....