Arian Foster (season ending back surgery)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by eriadoc, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I haven't heard much chatter about Foster the past couple days, but I have to say my opinion of him has fallen. The past two games he has taken himself out of the game after just four carries and one carry, respectively. I'm sure his hamstring, back, and calf are all really sore, but if they're that bad, he should never have taken an active roster spot. Meanwhile, Tate is out there gutting it up with broken ribs.

People used to ding Mario by saying he didn't try enough. But he went out there and played in the trenches every down against the largest guys on the field with all sorts of injuries. Hell, he played an entire season with plantar fasciitis, which I know personally leaves you crippled. He may not have played particularly well with those maladies, but he went out there.

And what was the general consensus when Colt McCoy pulled himself out of the national championship game? It wasn't that he was a tough gamer, I can tell you that.

WolverineFan likes this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Veteran

In my personal experience, back and leg injuries are way more movement limiting than cracked ribs.

3. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

Can I short his stock?

...any put options out there?

To me, it just feels like he's given up. He's stopped taking football seriously, and he's more invested in his career as a celebrity.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think like others who have come back without healing it has led to further injury and this includes Foster. I would think it is difficult to return in 2 weeks from hamstring and that could have led to back injury. I think I read/heard somewhere that back was hurt "again". Of so, not sure how this is player's fault?

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

As I recall Dr CND predicted compensating injuries for Arian. From about the 2nd half of the 2nd game he looked like his old self, but then injuries again...

6. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I'm torn on this one, as I'm giving Arian the benefit of the doubt here. If he had busted ribs, then I'd expect him to get the shot like Tate did and be out there.

But with Arian and this hamstring of his . . I mentioned to my wife when they announced that he was playing, "Why is he even suiting up so soon, he's just going to tweak it again". They said it was his back this time, but I'm sure it's hammy related.

He did something bad to his hamstring in a workout before training camp, in which I get the feeling needs surgical correction. They're 2-6. Put him on IR and get it done.

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I don't know.. leg muscles and the back are pretty important to a RBs ability to play. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

8. bOODRO87

bOODRO87 Time Consumer

Coach ran him into the ground last year.

9. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

The question I have is how he was cleared to play in the first place. He had only one carry where he wasn't hit too hard and he doesn't play another down. Was he not tested extensively before the game? And this was coming after a game where you had no healthy RB's available.

10. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Maybe so but he had the whole off season and missed all OTA'a and training camp in order to recover.

I think Arian's heart is in other pursuits now.

:coffee:

11. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN All Pro

I think he just flat out quit on the team

12. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

I'm not sure how I feel about this recent run of events, but I do know that I've never been really trusting of him overall. I always thought he had too much weirdo/philosophical douche/etc in him, somewhat similar to what happened to Ricky Williams' running away from football.

I hope it's just injuries, but I've always had this feeling about him.

13. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

I think it's mostly injuries that are holding him back, and it really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who looks at the history of RBs with 400+ touches in their previous year. At this point, I would give Arian at least 4 weeks off, and figure out what we have in guys like Dennis Johnson, who could be our #2 RB next year. I think a 1-2 punch of Foster and Johnson could be enough for the 2014 Texans, and it could reduce our RB priority in the draft. Get Dennis up to speed on pass protections, and he could be a nice, cheap #2.

14. cstyle42

cstyle42 All Pro

Bingo!!! When you got a playcaller like Kubiak and a qb like Schaub it ruins other keys players that have to be twice as great to make up for the weak links BS so I don't even blame Foster. Glad this team is finally forced to address their real issues.

15. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

16. cstyle42

cstyle42 All Pro

I think you already didn't like him to begin with. Can't be serious... what grounds do you have to believe that?

17. tedr

tedr Veteran

I think we should shut him down for the rest of the year, and let him heal up and be ready for 2014. As excited as I am about Keenum, we aren't going to the playoffs this year. As someone stated, we need to see if Johnson is a viable #2 back...I thought he flashed some potential on Sunday night.

18. Tearstain

Tearstain Veteran

I seem to recall his his initial injury in pre season was a result of him over doing the weight training in the gym.

Is this what a person does when they don't care about playing?

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

This is how I perceive it, as well. RBs are known to have short NFL lives due to the nature of the position and the workload put on them.

Dude is human and his body will reflect the wear and tear put on it.

I cannot judge the man's heart or say that I know what he's thinking. But, he sure ran his ass off after getting paid, and that is usually somewhat of an indicator into the insight of a player's mentality.

And I agree with Dutch on putting a fork in this season and let Foster some time to heal. I think the guy still has some football left in him, so no use wasting it on this season.

20. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN All Pro

I based it on his attitude and body language. Dont know why his back didnt get aggravated during practice, Gary always said he had a good day, etc. And the whole team luncheon incident made him look like a real Jerk off in my eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.