Arian Foster and the NCAA

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texasfan101, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Texasfan101

Texasfan101 Rookie

2. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Arian's publicist strikes again.

3. pissknocker

pissknocker Veteran

HAHAHA more like his stalker.

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

It all makes sense now, the Texans cut Eric Winston so that Foster can be first-string media spotlight guy. :)

5. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I've never believed that College Players should be paid. They are getting room, board, in most cases a 6 figure educatio, and in most large program they give the players tons of team appareal.

However I never really thought about the fact they can't have a job, which makes it tough to do things outside of school. I would support a small stipend, maybe a tiered system. Say 10,000-20,000 a year, semething similar to what a college kid makes working part time. I do think that any long term injuries caused by practice or games should be paid for not just immediate treatment. I have no idea how that works as of now.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I think this is someone from the Texans...

The Mods know who it is.

:hide:

7. majestrate

majestrate All Pro

I think the NFL needs to move to a farm-type system. And college football as it's now known needs to be pulled from the colleges and rebranded into some minor league football organization that runs the farm system. Schools can align themselves with farm teams, and they earn a percentage of ticket sales, and are paid for any athlete that is attending that school. Let the teams rent the college stadiums.

Lots of holes to fill in that idea, and no way it would ever happen, but at least then you don't have scholarships going to student athletes who really don't care about the academics and want to stick around just long enough to become draft eligible.

8. Rey

Rey Guest

College players should be paid something.

Yes they are on scholarship and are getting "paid" in that way, but the difference between college athlete and Sally Sue that is attending on an academic scholarship is that the athlete is helping to directly generate some kind of revenue for the school. Add in the fact that it's pretty much impossible to have a pt job AND football require year round dedication and I think it's a no brainer that college athletes should be paid something.

I think that a certain percentage of the money that an athletic program makes should go to the athletes. And put a cap on the amount of money they can make for the really lucrative programs. Not anything crazy...Just enough for a guy to save up and buy a used car if he wanted to...Or take a girl out on the weekends...or whatever...

9. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Too unbalancing, you have to think these guys are walking away some of them with 250k-350k in college tution/board/fees free and clear.

10. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't understand the point in that?

I do agree that they should have some kind of real farm system...The practice squad isn't enough IMO.

11. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

There's a good reason they aren't allowed to get a job, it's because they spend so many hours at practice and preparing for games that a 20 hour a week job would only hinder their ability to attempt to be a good student. In lieu of doing so, the schools are well within their rights to give thousands of dollars worth of assistance in all sorts of forms to the 'student' athletes. Arian is BSing about this for some reason, or he's just not very educated on the topic. There's just no way he went to UT and didn't get a slice of this big ol' money pie. Although I would imagine athletes look at free money completely differently than those who actually had to get a real job to pay for college, books and living expenses.

Here's a great article detailing Arkansas player compensations from a person who used to :

http://www.holyturf.com/2011/05/football-players-receive-17000-annually-in-cash-all-within-ncaa-rules/

12. Rey

Rey Guest

That 250K number seems kind of high, but my point is that they are collectively generating more money for the school than what they are costing them...

13. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I would like to see what the margins are for major and mid level programs. It's easy to say that the colleges make tons of money, I'm guessing they do but what the take home so to speak as there are costs to run a program.

To say that the NCAA is a Billion Dollar Business, well so is GM, but they're bankrupt and lose money. The stadiums cost money, the staffs cost money, the equipment and facilities cost money, the scholarships technically have a cost associated with them. People always tend to look at the really big number, and don't look into the specifics. If after all the expenses say a major program like Texas "makes" several million dollars could you split that probably.

NCAA Roster limits are 70 I believe. So say you pay each player $30k, thats $2,100,000, thats a lot of coin. Also add in the fact that a lot on the roster don't even get full rides, so do they deserve cash, if not thats starts to get pretty tricky.

I tell you what though, this is one of the most dividing topics I have ever talked about with other folks. Politics and Religion are easier to discuss than college athletics.

14. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

most likely it's someone from Bleacher Report, trying desperately to get YouTube clicks.

15. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

My mind is changed.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

See I'm not even saying it should be 30k.

I'm thinking more in the 1k - 5k per year range. Half each semester. Maybe not even that much.

And I think everyone on the team Should get the same amount. Scholarship or not. Kickers, long snappers, red shirts. Everyone.

When I played ball in school we weren't even supposed to get overpayment checks that a lot of the other students got. They made a "mistake" and gave us some money once but other than that nada. You had to apply for stipends and stuff. That first year was tough. 17, No car, 10 hour drive away from home, just the change mom and dad could send.

Woulda be nice to have a little extra change just to be a bit more comfortable.

17. majestrate

majestrate All Pro

I guess collegiate ball is fine, but I don't believe it should be the road to professional sports. And that should be corrected. If someone wants to go to school, but doesn't have the money, and is athletic enough to play in a farm system, then they can use that to put themselves through school, instead of schools wasting scholarships on people that are only there to bide their time until the NFL comes calling, or their NCAA eligibilty is up.

18. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

They are working 20+ hours per week. I think they should be paid just like any other student who works 20+ hours at school. Thus I say they should be paid on a per hour basis. For example, when i was in undergrad, I worked 25 hours per week in the Chemistry Department's Computer Labs. I earned $8 an hour and was paid every 2 weeks. That seems like a very reasonable wage for college athletes.

19. Rey

Rey Guest

I see what you're saying now, but I don't see schools giving up their athletic programs. That's not going to happen.

But I think what you're saying is a bigger problem in basketball than football.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Really? So when folks on tennis, skiing or golf scholarships spend time charging for lessons it doesn't impair their educational experience but if a football player does then it is a threat. The inconsistency is stark. There should be one rule.