Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

"Are we REALLY playoff material yet?!"

I understand it isn't years in the league, but in this particular instance Schaub was already in this system for his prior years in the league and while there is no substitute for starting, having practiced and being coached on the system for three years has to be a leg up over starting cold.

I see where you are coming from.

I was just trying to make the point that the longer the quarterbacks are in the system, the easier it will be on them. The less you have to think, the more athletic you can be.

Which should just be a no-duh sort of statement, but I brought up the Shanahan Sr. thing because he was so emphatic that the Denver-style system really takes 3 years for a quarterback to master its nuances.

In sum, more time with system = better.

But as to the subject of this thread, no team knows from year to year if they are playoff able. Hence offseason hope.

As I said, depending on what stats you look at. Check out the Football Outsiders stats:

30th overall on defense
27th against the pass
29th against the rush
And it shows that the defense was consistent, consistently bad.

These are defensive efficiency ranks. I am guessing they are so bad because the Texans were bad about giving up the big play and getting turnovers.

Of course, it didn't help that the offense kept turning the ball over themselves and keeping the defense on the field.

But just with my eyeball viewing of the team, what feeling should you get when your team is on defense?

You should have that feeling that your team is going to crush the other team.

That's the feeling you have when you are watching a good defensive team.

It is dispiriting to be yelling your * off for the defense, and watch them not get off the field on third down. Or cringe every time the ball is thrown. I want this team to get to the point where I really enjoy watching the defense. The Denver game was fun watching the defense.

This is why I do not understand people blasting this draft at all. Now granted I think this draft will not show a whole lot this year as some drafts might but I honestly believe drafts are for the continued success or the reaching of success of a franchise.

With how bad the Texans were against the run we need the big fat boy in the middle and most of us think that has been accomplished. Big play up top has been an issue because of Petey "Wait For Me" Faggins. So drafting a CB that has size, speed and is not affraid to hit but needs some technique is not a bad thing. He should be the nickle by week 9 versus the Vickings at the very least. LB is very hard for me to figure out honestly and evaluate so I will leave that to others. I will say we need more sacks and pressures from there and we should be able to do more than just wait to make the tackle with them. The defense has been so bland and so WTF I understand fully of needing more players on the side of the ball, but it has to be balanced drafts or you wind up like Chicago has for years with nothing to show for it. Granted the ravens did win a Super Bowl, but with that defense and if they had just any type of passing game they should have been able to win at the very least two SB. The bend but don't break defense is emloyed by several teams and it is heart wrenching to watch. Hopefully as we get more athletic they play calling will reflect that.

Now I did not forget about Slaton. We still need playmakers on offense. Slaton is a change of pace back, a threat to catch out of the backfield. He should have the speed and the moves to really do some damage. I am not looking for a single back to get the 1500 + yards or be the 300 carry guy because that speels disasster and a career to go as Shaun Alexanders did falls off quickly. Now granted Tomlinson has ben doing it since he got in the league but it is very evident that it has become a two back league as to substain players for the long haul versus the short term.

Now I did not forget about Slaton. We still need playmakers on offense. Slaton is a change of pace back, a threat to catch out of the backfield. He should have the speed and the moves to really do some damage. I am not looking for a single back to get the 1500 + yards or be the 300 carry guy because that speels disasster and a career to go as Shaun Alexanders did falls off quickly. Now granted Tomlinson has ben doing it since he got in the league but it is very evident that it has become a two back league as to substain players for the long haul versus the short term.

Just curious... Why do you assume he is a 3rd down back guy and not an every down back - occasionally spelled by someone else??

He averaged a hair under 20 rushes per game at WVU?

300 rushes in the NFL equates to 18.75 carries per game.. (20>18.75)

(as someone has mentioned before) His height is comparable to that of Emmit Smith's or Marshall Faulk's. ( He may need to add a little weight but he's only about 15 pounds lighter than Faulk).

As much as the numbers support your statement ..... the guy always seems to make a play when it matters most ....:headhurts:

Collins made the huge throw, and we fumbled away any chance in Tenn. We are truly better off if he plays than if he sits. The run he made was great, but not wholly legit. Carr stunk the field up there, and last year was more about his people than him. I just think if he goes out, they have a better chance. Just my .02

Just curious... Why do you assume he is a 3rd down back guy and not an every down back - occasionally spelled by someone else??

He averaged a hair under 20 rushes per game at WVU?

300 rushes in the NFL equates to 18.75 carries per game.. (20>18.75)

(as someone has mentioned before) His height is comparable to that of Emmit Smith's or Marshall Faulk's. ( He may need to add a little weight but he's only about 15 pounds lighter than Faulk).

For this upcoming year it is no assumption, it is an educated guess, based on whom we have on the roster plus his size and speed, and the abilities he can contribute in certain areas.

As far as what they did in college translating into the NFL ..... I give you Reggie Bust and Mike Vick redux.

For this upcoming year it is no assumption, it is an educated guess, based on whom we have on the roster plus his size and speed, and the abilities he can contribute in certain areas.

As far as what they did in college translating into the NFL ..... I give you Reggie Bust and Mike Vick redux.

Okay, so you were referring to his rookie year and not necessarily beyond that? I can accept that....

Okay, so you were referring to his rookie year and not necessarily beyond that? I can accept that....

That's the way I see it playing out. IMO, we need to get him on the field this year because of his speed and agility. Which is something we've severely lacked at the position. I do think it'll be on a limited basis his rookie season, but not only on 3rd down situations. I think he'd be exceptional in the running plays that Walter ran last season. I think one was a mis-direction pitch to get Walter outside in the open which Slaton should be better at.

I think Slaton needs to add a few lbs before he's given the full time job, if ever.

:texflag:

That's the way I see it playing out. IMO, we need to get him on the field this year because of his speed and agility. Which is something we've severely lacked at the position. I do think it'll be on a limited basis his rookie season, but not only on 3rd down situations. I think he'd be exceptional in the running plays that Walter ran last season. I think one was a mis-direction pitch to get Walter outside in the open which Slaton should be better at.

I think Slaton needs to add a few lbs before he's given the full time job, if ever.

:texflag:

If the history of the Shanahan Broncos in any indication, there is really no predicting who will eventually be the primary back in their system.

Basically, it ended up being who was the healthiest best guy going.

Certainly, his history in college suggests that he can be a productive back when given opportunties.

Back