Are we really better than 14 teams?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Apr 13, 2009.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Just a question I was thinking about.

1. Are we better than the 14 teams we draft behind?

2. Are we more talented than the 14 teams we draft behind?

Detroit Lions
    St Louis Rams
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Seattle Seahawks
    Cleveland Browns
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Oakland Raiders
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Green Bay Packers
    San Francisco 49ers
    Buffalo Bills
    Denver Broncos
    Washington Redskins
    New Orleans Saints

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

In 08, yes. I think we were better than some of the teams that are behind us too. Just to name a few.

Jets
    Bears
    Buccs
    Probably the Fins too

3. Polo

Polo Guest

I'd say yeah...

4. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

The Seahawks with a healthy Matt Hasselbeck could beat us. Of course, with a healthy Matt Schaub, we have a pretty good shot at 31 of 32 teams.

5. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Well, some of them yes on both. Some of them yes on one. Some of them no on either.

Like Detroit. I think we're better than Detroit and we have more talent on the roster. Same with Kansas City.

But I'd have a hard time saying that we're better or more talented than Washington or New Orleans.

All that said, I'd like our chances playing any of those teams.

6. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I think we are better than most now. I never go into a Sunday during football season KNOWING the Texans are going to lose. This is the year for us to prove it to the rest of the world now.

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'd say that with a defense that was twice as good as our own (say right at or just below 10th overall) we're a real threat to go deep in the playoffs. Our defense is our Achilles heal and we've basically been playing without one for the last three years under Kubiak.

Give us a defense between 10th and 15th (closer to 10th hopefully) and we're a force. That's odd to say but it's the truth.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

What he said. A decent defense and we are a threat any Sunday.

9. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

I would say we are not necessarily more talented than all of those teams, but yes, i would say we are better. Not only was our record better, but we played in the AFC South.

We might not be better than New Orleans, Buffalo or Cleveland. It depends on which Browns team shows up.

10. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

With Shannahan calling the plays on offense, I think we can go the Indianapolis Colts route and just outscore everyone.

11. D_Money85

D_Money85 TEXAN4LIFE

Any thing can happen any Given Sunday

TimeKiller likes this.
  12. CharloTex

CharloTex All Pro

Let me guess, are the Houston Texans the 32nd team we don't have a good chance to beat? :shades:

13. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    win a supa bowl and drive off in a hyundai

I think this is a team with it's arrow pointed up. If a couple pieces were added on defense this is going to be a team other teams look at and just know, we're in for a hell of a game playing those Houston Texans!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

We are not a bad team like we used to be. We have to be taken seriously these days. Not that we can consistently beat good teams yet, but if those good teams are not having a good day, we can take 'em.

It is my hope that starting this year we finally graduate from the average to the above average. Or higher. Higher would be nice. :D

15. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

are you talking 10-15 based on points allowed or total yards allowed? Tenn. had the 7th ranked defense, but gave up fewer points than the 3rd ranked defense of Philly.

scant little difference between the 10th-15th ranked d's in terms of yards allowed.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

16. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

I'm the biggest homer on this board... a real rah rah guy. So naturally I say yes. We're definately a top 18 team in the league.

Ok now seriously.

YES.

I think, going into the draft... for the first time in our history, the list of teams better than us is shorter than the list of teams that we're better than.

NE
    INDY
    TENN
    PITT
    SD
    DAL
    NYG
    PHIL
    ATL

That's the list that strikes me. ARI had a good run, but come play in the AFC SOUTH and I think you have a different year. Problem is that two of the teams better than us are in our division.

That is a 2 second look at the teams. But before even looking at the team I thought we were 12ish... I wouldn't have a problem if you put us at 14 or 10 really... but I think thats about right.

Wow, spec never thought he'd see the day.

Mike

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Depends on which version of the Texans shows up.

The Texans that play the home games are definitely better than all those teams.

The road team/charity ball (tip of the hat to Mike Singletary) version of the Texans probably aren't better than all those teams. Specifically, the Niners, Saints, Redskins, and even the Bills would worry me if we were playing them on the road with the Texans offense that give the ball away 2-3 times/game

thunderkyss likes this.
  18. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

Actually, we beat ourselves more often than other teams do by stupid mistakes. Turnovers, blown coverages, sloppy routes, bad assignments, trying to make a heroic 1st down by jumping over the defenders..

The way we truly improve and become as good as or better than the other teams is to not beat ourselves first, and then the rest will fall into place.

thunderkyss likes this.
  19. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

This BRILLIANT, GREAT LOOKING, AMAZING guy posted something about ranking defenses one time. I'll just quote him because I think I'm all of the above :D:tiphat:

thunderkyss likes this.
  20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I think we're better than 22-24 teams frankly. More than that, IMO, only Pittsburgh, NYGiants, and New England strike me as teams that are going to be (likely)significantly better than the Texans. Otherwise, I'd put us in a group of teams like:
    Indy
    Tenn
    SD
    Phillie
    Carolina
    Arizona
    Baltimore
    Dallas

So, I'm on record, clearly I expect to see the Texans in the playoffs.