Are they listening to the fan? No Williams!

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by pittbull, Apr 19, 2006.

1. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

We all know that the city will be in uproar if the Texans do not select Vince Young, that is a given that is most likely not going to happen. But what if they pass, not only on Young, but Bush, who both project to be unreal NFL players and possibly future Hall of Famers. Young played in the Big 12, faced all adversity and lead his team to a national title! Bush, was the key element in leading his team to 2 national titles, and took home the Heisman trophy, playing against some of the best competition in the land, over the past 3 years. But what about Mario Williams......huh? A 1 year wonder who many project to be like Julius Peppers, but never dominated year after year like Julius, without the help of teammates. Williams, a combine wonder, has teammates that are going to get drafted relatively high on the same side of the ball, along with a fellow DE. This tends to take pressure off of the other great players in college, but not in the pros. Peppers never had this, and dominated the ACC. Williams never dominated games like Peppers and one can only think that he would not be the player Mel Kiper and rest of the draft guru's project him to be. If the Texans were to take Williams and both Young and Bush become everything they have already shown, McNair should just pull a Bud Adams and leave town! The fans will NEVER forgive him! As far as I remember, The Carolina Panthers got blown out by Seattle in the playoffs and Peppers couldn't score a TD! The Steelers did win a Super Bowl with two running backs, Bettis and fast Willie Parker. Could we imagine that it Houston? Davis and Bush in the backfield, thunder and lightning! Point blank, this is about winning titles and taking the best PROVEN players in the draft. Whether it would be Young, Leinart, Bush, Ferguson, or even AJ Hawk for this case, all have proven to be consistent over time and make things happen, as for the Williams, I don't think so. PLEASE GOD, Don't let the Texans take Williams!:brickwall

2. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Overreact much? Carolina got peppers, and WENT to the playoffs. I'll take that over a spectacular 4-12 reggie season any day. If you dont like what they do.....there is a door ya know?

3. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Well, I will probaly get crucified for this, but.....I agree.:twocents: Except the leaving town part...

4. Dean 74

Dean 74 Rookie

roger that!
    -tom

5. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Relax... it's all just negotiating tactics. Bush is the guy.

6. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

"Defense wins championships"...that's the motto. I'm all for drafting Bush though, emphatically!

Trade down sounds good....but only if we had a competent GM that could draft. We don't have that so dowgrading the value we have at #1 overall...it's out of the question IMO. We don't need Casserly screwing up even more the 2005 season we had. We lost terribly and we need some definite compensation for it, and that would be a stud. PLEASE TEXANS don't trade down and give Casserly more shots at the trigger only to shoot blanks!

7. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

Uh, I live here in Houston, A season ticket holder, and would never abandon the Texans, but if McNair takes a DE, in a draft with Texas 'most prized athlete since Roger Clemens, forget about it, he may lose fans to Dallas or people may follow Vince where ever he goes. Lord forbid, Tennessee. If they take Bush, it eases the pain, as many think he will be a legend also, but Williams? No pazzaz, no city buzz, the fans will never forgive the franchie. They chose to keep Carr, which already has ignited a fire (Not myself included), didn't get a tackle in FA, and unless they get 4 extra picks for the #1, would be unreal!

8. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

I agree SB!!!

9. tex

tex Veteran

I like that(Thunder and Lightning) lets just do it.

10. done88

done88 Veteran

This is a negotation ploy. They are going to take reggie and they don't want to pay too much for him. They want Reggie to tell his agent to get realstic real quick before he becomes the second pick and loses millions. The agent will fall in line and we will be chanting Reggie Reggie Reggie here very soon.

11. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

And if Bush can't get the corner (like in the Rose Bowl) and Young can't do in the pros what he did in college; but Williams gets 10+ plus sacks a year and becomes a annual all-pro. Half this MB will be saying "I told you the Texans should have taken him."

I personally am not worried, we are getting a player (whether it is Bush, Young, Williams, Ferguson or Hawk) that is going to help this team for years to come, and that excites me.:yahoo:

12. killeentexan

killeentexan Rookie

So the projections are correct when it comes to Bush and/or Young, but we shouldn't listen to them concerning Williams?

If the Texans take Williams and he helps our defense lead us to the playoffs and the Super Bowl while Bush and/or Young become good NFL players who never quite make it to the next level.....how will the fans react then?

How many other Super Bowl winners had a shared backfield? 2005 Patriots-Dillon; 2004 Patriots-A Smith; 2003 Buccaneers-Pittman; 2002 Patriots-A Smith; 2001 Ravens-Lewis; 2000 Rams-Faulk; 1999 Broncos-Davis; 1998 Broncos-Davis. The only possible RBBC from these teams is Tampa with Pittman/Alstott. History shows Super Bowl teams win it more often then not with one featured back.

No players in the draft are proven at the NFL level. They are all something of a gamble. The history of the league is littered with skill position busts taken in the top few picks, more so then OL/DL busts. Besides, defense wins championships...just ask the Colts

13. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

The uproar will die down if we finish with a winning record.

I want Williams, personally, though I still like Bush for our team a little better.

Bush isn't particularly more proven than Williams; let's not act as if Bush didn't have an all world OL blocking for him and an offensive guru for a HC all these years ...

14. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I thought that if they listened to the fans they would draft VY...oh wait that was last month.:rolleyes:

15. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Start the "Draft Reggie or else" petition.

16. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

If the hype on Mario is true, then he fits a need better than VY or RB. We never have had a bona fide pass rusher.

17. DominickDavisFan76

DominickDavisFan76 Veteran

Ok are we going to get any picks for taking Mario instead of Reggie...
    If we do then I might agree on taking Mario.. if we are just going to use our #1 to take him then I say we take reggie instead.

18. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

This thread is ridiculous. I'd still go back and take Peppers over Carr if we could.

What is this nonsense about city buzz? Who gives a rats tail whether there is city buzz. Defensive players never create the kind of buzz that offensive players do.

If you need to leave town i have :twocents: on your greyhound ticket to nashville.

19. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

houston will draft bush, don't worry about it. the talks with williams are orchestrated to force bush's hand.

and williams isn't a one-year wonder at all. a lot of people had him as their #1 defensive player last year when he wasn't even eligible.

20. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

Yeah, who wants an awesome pass rush?