Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Are the Texans now considered contenders?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Bwhahaha me either but you can best believe Belichick and Brady will keep him in check. While enjoying the fruits it might produce at the end of the year. Mainly the Superbowl trophy
So this may just be me reading to much into it but can’t help but wonder if this was planned. Brown has been saying all along he doesn’t need the money and I can see a guy like that wanting a ring more than a pay check. He had no say in where Steelers sent him but when Raiders released him all bets were off. Then in less than a day he has an offer from the Pats that he signs without any drama at all?

Yeah I call shenanigans.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
So this may just be me reading to much into it but can’t help but wonder if this was planned. Brown has been saying all along he doesn’t need the money and I can see a guy like that wanting a ring more than a pay check. He had no say in where Steelers sent him but when Raiders released him all bets were off. Then in less than a day he has an offer from the Pats that he signs without any drama at all?

Yeah I call shenanigans.
I watched him on Hard Knocks, simply not smart enough to orchestrate a birthday party much less what you suggest. I don't think we face him in December, he won't make it that long

Texansballer74

The Marine

Yeah I call shenanigans.

For a split minute I thought the same thing. But I don't think this was planned out like that. Right now he has filed a grievance towards both the Steelers and Raiders. So maverick you can best believe he wanted those millions.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
For a split minute I thought the same thing. But I don't think this was planned out like that. Right now he has filed a grievance towards both the Steelers and Raiders. So maverick you can best believe he wanted those millions.
I thought it was the union that filed on his behalf? Doesn't matter anyway, filing costs him nothing and certainly the Pat's aren't going to be upset if he screws over another team. Brown may not have the brain power to pull this off but what about his agent or even BB?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The Texans have proven they are not ready for "prime time" yet. This is just one of those things that until you actually do it, reason for doubt has to be there considering their history.

Texans post season success is still in the category of "I'll believe it when I see it".
So what are they ….

I don't expect they beat either of those teams at home , on the road or on a neutral field.

Its not so much a talent issue either , its a coaching issue ….

What's this "if". Reality check. We don't play KC until week 6 and we don't play NE until week 12.

Both teams are top level. So, I'll put odds at 50-50. With the improvements made this off season, we finally have in place the team which can go toe to toe with any team.
Take the homer glasses off and tell me you believe this team has a reasonable shot to knock off either of those top quality teams when history has shown they are so poorly coached and that literally every "big game" or nationally televised game the result is the same - They lay an egg.

I give them a 30% chance of beating either of them on the Texans field and half that on a neutral or hostile field.

Those teams are just better and better coached.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
So what are they ….

I don't expect they beat either of those teams at home , on the road or on a neutral field.

The Texans are not a bad team, but they are an average team. Half the NFL is composed of average teams, the other half divided between mostly bad and a few really good teams. Which means it shouldn't be surprising when the Texans keep going 9-7 and dropping out of the playoffs early as long as their schedule isn't horribly difficult.

We've been blaming OB and the Texans organization above him. Now this year it's on OB alone, which will tell us what? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect it'll be more of the same. I'm open to pleasant surprises, but expecting more of the same.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The Texans are not a bad team, but they are an average team. Half the NFL is composed of average teams, the other half divided between mostly bad and a few really good teams. Which means it shouldn't be surprising when the Texans keep going 9-7 and dropping out of the playoffs early as long as their schedule isn't horribly difficult.

We've been blaming OB and the Texans organization above him. Now this year it's on OB alone, which will tell us what? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect it'll be more of the same. I'm open to pleasant surprises, but expecting more of the same.

An "average team".

Is an average team in the NFL a true contender ? I don't think so.

Average teams have wont it all ….. but they are the exception to the rule.

The Pats have been to 9 Superb Owls since the Texans came into the league.

To be the best you have to beat the best and the Texans haven't proven capable of that - when it counts.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So what are they ….

Take the homer glasses off and tell me you believe this team has a reasonable shot to knock off either of those top quality teams when history has shown they are so poorly coached and that literally every "big game" or nationally televised game the result is the same - They lay an egg.

I give them a 30% chance of beating either of them on the Texans field and half that on a neutral or hostile field.

Those teams are just better and better coached.
Much to early to call KC an elite team. Reid didn’t have any better a record in KC than BoB did till last year. That’s not defending O’Brien that’s just fact. This year we will see what kind of QB they really have in Mahomes because it’s his sophomore year and teams have film on him now. Watson could have had just as good a rookie year if not for injury.

An "average team".

Is an average team in the NFL a true contender ? I don't think so.

Average teams have wont it all ….. but they are the exception to the rule.

The Pats have been to 9 Superb Owls since the Texans came into the league.

To be the best you have to beat the best and the Texans haven't proven capable of that - when it counts.
The Pats are what everyone compares to and it makes sense but at the same time they are a horrible comparisons because they have Brady and frankly I don’t think we will ever see another QB like Brady. Te not just his talent but his woe attitude. Can you see Brees or Rogers or Mahomes or, he’ll, even Watson saying “Let’s change my contract so I get less money this year so you can sign some new players.”

Brady cares much more about wins than he does about dollars but then he has an advantage most don’t. For most NFL players they are the biggest source of money, for Brady his money is the family play money.

Really you don’t hear about teams being above average till the post season when the talking heads start hyping them up. I heard nothing about Seattle till they hit the playoffs and then it was boom squad this and boom squad that. All people talked about with Denver is how bad Manning looked till they started really winning on defense alone.

mws

Rookie
Much to early to call KC an elite team. Reid didn’t have any better a record in KC than BoB did till last year. That’s not defending O’Brien that’s just fact. This year we will see what kind of QB they really have in Mahomes because it’s his sophomore year and teams have film on him now. Watson could have had just as good a rookie year if not for injury.

The Pats are what everyone compares to and it makes sense but at the same time they are a horrible comparisons because they have Brady and frankly I don’t think we will ever see another QB like Brady. Te not just his talent but his woe attitude. Can you see Brees or Rogers or Mahomes or, he’ll, even Watson saying “Let’s change my contract so I get less money this year so you can sign some new players.”

Brady cares much more about wins than he does about dollars but then he has an advantage most don’t. For most NFL players they are the biggest source of money, for Brady his money is the family play money.

Really you don’t hear about teams being above average till the post season when the talking heads start hyping them up. I heard nothing about Seattle till they hit the playoffs and then it was boom squad this and boom squad that. All people talked about with Denver is how bad Manning looked till they started really winning on defense alone.
They are actually pretty close but I would give the edge to Reid. He made the playoffs more than O'Brian and had a much better regular season record. He also beat O'Brian in the 2015 wild card game. O'Brian does have one more divisional title and a better playoff win percentage.

Andy Reid's first five years with the Chiefs:

Regular Season
53/27 .662

Playoff Record
1/4 .200

2 Division Titles
Made it to Divisional Round twice.
Made playoffs 4 out of 5 years.

---------------------------------------

Bill OBrian's first five years with the Texans:

Regular Season
42/38 .525

Playoff Record
1/3 .250

3 Division Titles
Made it to Divisional Round once.
Made playoffs 3 out of 5 years.

For O'Brian to keep pace he has to go to the Championship this year like Reid did in his sixth year.

As far as Denver goes what about 2013 when they went to the super bowl & Manning won MVP. That year he threw 55 touchdown passes and a league-record 5,477 yards. The Broncos also scored an NFL record 606 points. I don't remember anybody talking about their defense that year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If you’re the Raiders he didn’t make it that far. Steelers must be laughing their asses off. On the plus side boys we are no longer the laughing stock of the NFL!

Go Raiders! :bravo::splits:
Steelers probably are p!ssed that AB ended up in Foxboro. They turned down a 1st rd pick from the Pats for AB. They traded AB to the Raiders specifically to keep him away from the Pats, because the Steelers didn't want to have to face a fired up AB and Brady in the playoffs.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Steelers probably are p!ssed that AB ended up in Foxboro. They turned down a 1st rd pick from the Pats for AB. They traded AB to the Raiders specifically to keep him away from the Pats, because the Steelers didn't want to have to face a fired up AB and Brady in the playoffs.
Steelers ain't going to have to worry about facing the Patriots in the playoffs anytime soon.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

You have an MVP ….

Even a gimpy Mahomes looks like an MVP against a pretty solid Jax defense.

That dude is the real deal and will only get better.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
He needs to take fewer hits or could get a shot on his shoulder but dude can ball. That attempt at a no look cost him a TD too, so a little too much flair, but the game the kid has is amazing

Mangler

Toro de España
You have an MVP ….

Even a gimpy Mahomes looks like an MVP against a pretty solid Jax defense.

That dude is the real deal and will only get better.
Thanks to Reid for scheming up an offense that caters to him. It’d be way different if Mahomes was having the EP system shoved down his throat while playing behind tissue paper for an o-line. Mahomes will continue to develop into one hell of a QB!

76Texan

Hall of Fame

It's a mistake to think that the Broncos could have won without Manning.
He managed through MANY drops by the receivers and persevered, a true sign of a champion.
You can't take it from him.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
It's a mistake to think that the Broncos could have won without Manning.
He managed through MANY drops by the receivers and persevered, a true sign of a champion.
You can't take it from him.
Not about taking anything away from him but Manning has a absolutely horrible season. He was literally the worst QB in the NFL that year and yeah the defense saved his ass and the season a lot.

Thanks to Reid for scheming up an offense that caters to him. It’d be way different if Mahomes was having the EP system shoved down his throat while playing behind tissue paper for an o-line. Mahomes will continue to develop into one hell of a QB!
It's such a crazy concept for a coach to put his players in the best position to succeed. I wonder why Bill hasn't thought about trying that? The one time he did try that (Watson's rookie year), they happened to score 30+ every about every game.