Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Are the receivers set?

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was reading Profootballtalk.com's ranking of Detroit and they mentioned the POSSIBILITY of maybe Charles Rogers and/or Mike Williams getting the boot. Both are former #1 picks and loaded with that talent word and that potential word. Both were also in a system even worse than ours, or maybe their QB was worse than ours. What would you guys think of the Texans picking up one of them if they got cut? This is purely speculation and, frankly, we needed another thread started.

We don't need them right now, IMO. But it'd be nice to have one or the other for a post Eric Moulds Texans squad.

That's a lot of talent to pass up is why I started the thread. I'm not sure about our #3 receiver and either one of these guys would be a #1 on 95% of the teams in this league. Walters has talent but is he a better option than those two? Mathis is far from being a proven receiver at this level, Armstrong gets some serious consideration...

DocBar said:
That's a lot of talent to pass up is why I started the thread. I'm not sure about our #3 receiver and either one of these guys would be a #1 on 95% of the teams in this league. Walters has talent but is he a better option than those two? Mathis is far from being a proven receiver at this level, Armstrong gets some serious consideration...

IMO if they were all that, Detroit wouldn't even consider giving either the boot, especially with Martz as the OC. And if they were able to be a #1 somewhere else, why would they want to come here and be a #3?

texan279 said:
IMO if they were all that, Detroit wouldn't even consider giving either the boot, especially with Martz as the OC. And if they were able to be a #1 somewhere else, why would they want to come here and be a #3?

To win a championship, DUH

carter08 said:
To win a championship, DUH

2-14

Players arent going to look to the Texans to win Champoinships when they finish 2-14 ...... If they are willing to take less or be a smaller part of the offense for the opportunity to win it all they would look to teams such as the Pats , Steelers , Seahawks , Panthers and Dolts ...... the Texans are at or near the bottom of that list until they put together a couple of winning / play-off seasons .

texan279 said:

My thought exactly, if Charles Rogers didn't have the injury history/concerns that he does then I'd think about him, Mike Williams doesn't seem to have any kind of decent attitude right now and he's built more like a TE at the moment anyways.

MorKnolle said:
My thought exactly, if Charles Rogers didn't have the injury history/concerns that he does then I'd think about him, Mike Williams doesn't seem to have any kind of decent attitude right now and he's built more like a TE at the moment anyways.

I remember Casserly talking around Mike Williams some. At the pre-draft luncheon at the time, he was talking about how the media types like some guys WAAAAY more than NFL people do. That it isn't enough for a guy to be good in college, that you have to project out whether he can fit a role in the NFL. He talk around how maybe Mike Williams was one of these guys--not quite fast enough to be a highly drafted receiver but not big enough to be a proper TE. That maybe he couldn't live up to the hype.

Texans_Chick said:
I remember Casserly talking around Mike Williams some. At the pre-draft luncheon at the time, he was talking about how the media types like some guys WAAAAY more than NFL people do. That it isn't enough for a guy to be good in college, that you have to project out whether he can fit a role in the NFL. He talk around how maybe Mike Williams was one of these guys--not quite fast enough to be a highly drafted receiver but not big enough to be a proper TE. That maybe he couldn't live up to the hype.

TC, sounds like another Billy Miller type.

If both of these receivers are this bad, and Harrington is gone....Why does Matt Millen still have a job with the Lions. Why isn't he head of scouting for Casserly's NFL office?

DocBar said:
If both of these receivers are this bad, and Harrington is gone....Why does Matt Millen still have a job with the Lions. Why isn't he head of scouting for Casserly's NFL office?

I kinda like Millen as the Lions GM , Its nice to have someone to laugh at .:tease:

Texans_Chick said:
Williams was one of those guys where opinions on his chance of success in the NFL were all over the place. But I remember a lot of guys said he just didn't have the speed or moves to play in the NFL as a WR. And as far as him playing at TE, he had no experience blocking on the los against big DL & LBs. But he had some fans to. And of course, the USC hype machine had his rep
pumped sky high. Sounds familiar.

Williams has from day one been considered lazy and not willing to do what the coaches have asked of him.

As far as Rogers, back to back collar bone fractures, after which he has played noticeably tentative. Confidence is something that is perceived to be lacking in his play now. He has shown a big problem getting off the LOS and gaining separation. If this is not enough, add a marijuana habit. Last year he was suspended for 4 games due to testing positive for the 3rd time. Lastly, he has made it well known with a very bad attitude that he was drafted to be THE #1 receiver. Unfortunately, the presence of Roy Williams and the new Lions scheme, the ball is going to be widely distributed............making his attitude that much worse..........Under the circumstances, there will be few teams that will try to obtain him as a #1 reciever..........unless, of course, he's been sharing their bong all along........I think the Texans pass the bong on this one.

At least we're not talking about you know who and you know what.
I'm going leave the play by play serious stuff to others better suited for it. Me and my Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder posting habits are gonna stick with color commentary from here on out.

I personally think that Rogers and Williams will be both have long careers as pretty good complementary recievers in the NFL. Unfortunately, some team will fall in love their measurables/hype and pay them like a number 1 reciever hoping the "Change of Scenery" will help these guys mature and become what they are capable of becoming. That team will be disappointed and I truly hope it isn't us.

AFD1717 said:
I personally think that Rogers and Williams will be both have long careers as pretty good complementary recievers in the NFL. Unfortunately, some team will fall in love their measurables/hype and pay them like a number 1 reciever hoping the "Change of Scenery" will help these guys mature and become what they are capable of becoming. That team will be disappointed and I truly hope it isn't us.
Did you even SEE the links I posted????

DocBar said:
Did you even SEE the links I posted????

Well, there's SEEING the links and then there's actually clicking on the links and then there's clicking on the links and actually reading the stuff.

Can anyone who has been to the OTA's comment on the half baked idea of Joppru lining up as a WR? I cannot recall the last time I have seen him run a route (probably draft day) nor recall the evaluation of his speed and route running.

Any team that would sign Corey Bradford, in my estimation, doesn't know beans about what a WR is, and is supposed to do. All potential, and no DO. Of course, now that I think about it, that pretty well Describes Williams and Rogers too.

I would'nt like to have Charles Rodgers, I like the Nice guys we have on the Texans and wouldnt want someone who is a bad a guy and gets suspended for four games on a violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy unless he has been amazing and is worth the risk of that but Hes been nothing but a bust so far.

Kaiser Toro said:
Can anyone who has been to the OTA's comment on the half baked idea of Joppru lining up as a WR? I cannot recall the last time I have seen him run a route (probably draft day) nor recall the evaluation of his speed and route running.

I didn't see it when I was there. I thought Joppru was weighing in the 250 range, don't see him lining up outside as a WR.

The only Williams from the Lions I'd take would be Roy Williams, however, that will never happen! We should be just fine with the group of guys we have now, so lets just see how this season cotinues to a point where at least, we See Progress Continously!

texan279 said:

Those were my thoughts exactly. I agree with you. These guys are young, injury after injury. If you cannot make it on the Lions, there is just something wrong with that. like you said especially with Martz as the OC. He loves his WRs. I think there has to be something deeper here. Plus these guys were #1 picks and what makes you think they are going to "settle" for #3 money.

The Lions aren't giving up Mike Williams...That would be crazy...Maybe Charles Rogers...And for all those who are saying if they were all that they wouldn't be giving them up....That argument is so LUDAcris im not gonna touch it...

I don't want either one of those overrated losers on our team. There have been so many times that I have head how lazy both of those guys are and how difficult they both were to work with. NO THANKS!!!

I think if you really look at the WR corps around the league this corp has to be in the top ten as far as threats on the field (long, short, and otherwise)

With Moulds and AJ on the outside and Walter in the slot and the #4 WR will be no slouch either, and the tight ends as well. Carr has to be really excited about what the Texans have put around him.

On many teams you usually will see a drop off of talent after the #1 and #2 WR. and if one of them happens to get injured, "Screwed". I have experienced that first hand.

One year our WR corp consisted of Bobby Wade, Justin Gage, bernard Barrian... Are you SCARED yet? neither were any of the other defenses we faced.

I really believe the Texans will go 10-6 this year. This is with the assumption that the Offesive line gels together and the defensive line with the depth can hold up in the 4 th quarter where several games were lost last season.

These guys looks like they're total busts, at least for Detroit. If you're a WR and not hyped about Martz coming in as the OC of the team, than I think you're going to have problems. Both these guys are total busts for Detroit and it is so pathetic to see them bust their 1st picks on WRs 2 years in a row. Even the 49ers are at least trying to get better. The Lions just suck.

Texans_Chick said:

That was my feeling on the guy. Vinny and I went round and round on this guy when he came out. He really liked him, I really didn't.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard or know where Vinny is?

xtruroyaltyx said:
The Lions aren't giving up Mike Williams...That would be crazy...Maybe Charles Rogers...And for all those who are saying if they were all that they wouldn't be giving them up....That argument is so LUDAcris im not gonna touch it...

Teams commonly "give up" on disruptive talent (Williams) and perennial walking wounded (Rogers), especially when they are not showing signs of their supposed potential when given a chance.

Unlike Williams and Williams who have evidently been given their chance, Joppru is much the exception. He has essentially not been able to show his abilities or inabilities to perform on the field. And the Texans obviously felt that, when weighing what the $ losses would be if he were released against his potential, at least to this point Joppru could still be a positive factor in the grand plan.

CloakNNNdagger said:
Teams commonly "give up" on disruptive talent (Williams) and perennial walking wounded (Rogers), especially when they are not showing signs of their supposed potential when given a chance.

Well seeing that they took Willams in the first round, and he's only had one year and they have changed coaches....I don't think he is going anywhere... And I know teams give up on players....Duh...I just dont think too many teams give up on players after one year...

from www.kffl.com

Lions | Rogers doesn't get on the field Wednesday
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:23:50 -0700

Steve Pate, of The Oakland Press, reports Detroit Lions WR Charles Rogers did not see the field Wednesday, Aug. 2, as the team did 15-minute walkthrough. Rogers stood on the sideline and watched the other receivers. Rogers said no one alerted him of a possible demotion.

DocBar said:
At least we're not talking about you know who and you know what.
I'm going leave the play by play serious stuff to others better suited for it. Me and my Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder posting habits are gonna stick with color commentary from here on out.
Ain't it great to post something and then get shredded? You can always say, "I actually agree with the oppsite of what I said. I was just trying to start a dialogue." HAHAHAH!:whip:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4085323.html

Walter seems like a perfect fit for Texans
By JOHN MCCLAIN

When Gary Kubiak was hired as the Texans' coach, he took one look at
the wide receivers and realized he needed reinforcements.

The Texans made two moves in the offseason to fortify the position. One
(the trade for Eric Moulds) got a lot of attention because Moulds
averaged 1,000 yards over the last eight seasons.

The other, the signing of Kevin Walter, hardly created a blip on the
radar screen when compared with Moulds' deal.

But as they enter the second week of camp, the coaches can't say enough
good things about Walter, who left Cincinnati as a restricted free
agent when the Texans gave him a $2 million signing bonus that the
Bengals refused to match.

Now the Bengals wish they had Walter back.

"I'd hope they would miss me, because I worked real hard there," Walter
said. "I like to think I improved every season I played for the
Bengals."

Complementary receiver

Walter, 25, is 6-3, 215. He's expected to be third receiver behind
Moulds and Andre Johnson. In three-receiver formations, Walter
primarily will line up in the slot between Moulds and Johnson.

"I watched Eric when I was growing up," said Walter, a Libertyville,
Ill., native who played at Eastern Michigan. "Now I'm learning from
him.

"I look at Andre and I see an incredible athlete. He's big and fast and
talented and just works so hard."

Walter was an outstanding special teams player for the Bengals. He had
his best season as a receiver in 2005, when he caught 19 passes for 211
yards and a touchdown.

"I love this offense and how it fits me," Walter said. "They're moving
me around, and I'm learning new concepts.

"We want to run the ball well, of course, but we're going to take some
shots down the field to try to keep the defense off balance."

Walter knows what he brings to the table.

"I always play hard," he said. "I think I've got playmaking ability.
I'll block for the running back. I take pride in my blocking.

"My goal here is to get better every practice and learn everything the
coaches want. I'm all about winning, and I'll do anything to win. I'll
play outside and in the slot. Last year, I even played in the backfield
a little bit. I was a utility man. That's a role I'm happy to play."

The total package

Walter's coach is Kyle Shanahan, who has been blessed with size and
speed at the position. Shanahan likes coaching a player as eager to
learn as Walter is.

"He's fearless," Shanahan said. "He loves to run down the field and hit
people. He loves to block.

"Kevin can run every route. He's got good feet for a receiver of his
size. He explodes off the line and out of his break. He's got the kind
of playmaking ability we're trying to take advantage of."

john.mcclain@chron.com

Brought to you by the HoustonChronicle.com

If the Lions were dissatisfied with Rogers and M. Williams, then I'd say it probably had more to do with the lockerroom and the mindset than the actually talent. Rogers has been injury prone and hasn't developed much because of that. Williams was a rookie last year and rookie receivers typically don't show nearly as much as they do in years 2 and 3. The Lions cutting ties so soon with Williams would just be baffling on all levels. I could see cutting ties with Rogers, though.

That said, I'd rather have Rogers on the Texans than Williams. We already have two big strong receivers. Rogers, if healthy and mentally sound, has the talent to be a very good slot guy in our offense.

TransplantTexan1 said:
If the Lions were dissatisfied with Rogers and M. Williams, then I'd say it probably had more to do with the lockerroom and the mindset than the actually talent. Rogers has been injury prone and hasn't developed much because of that. Williams was a rookie last year and rookie receivers typically don't show nearly as much as they do in years 2 and 3. The Lions cutting ties so soon with Williams would just be baffling on all levels. I could see cutting ties with Rogers, though.

That said, I'd rather have Rogers on the Texans than Williams. We already have two big strong receivers. Rogers, if healthy and mentally sound, has the talent to be a very good slot guy in our offense.

You already have that in Walters right now.

Back