Are Texans sitting on their hands again?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TripleTap, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

I don't think anyone is arguing to destroy the cap, or to be the biggest fa winner either - getting involved, while having a salary cap surplus and a rookie qb contract, is worth a bit of debate though.

CWTexansFan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  2. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

What is about some people around here that reading more than a paragraph is so hard.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  3. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Can't speak for everyone, but I'm at work. Beyond that though, I'm willing to bet the same message that is delivered with 10,000 words can be equally, and more digestibly, delivered in far less. It's a message board, not a final exam.

Sincerely though bud, do you. Just offering a throwaway suggestion.

sixfour likes this.
  4. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

I'm at work to and if this reminds you of a final exam then your final exams were much shorter than mine were. Seriously though I use as much as I feel is needed to adequately get my points across. Sometimes that's a sentence and sometimes its a page. If its to long for you or you don't want to read them then don't. I find it just as annoying when people throw out short little posts that seem to mean nothing and add very little to the discussion.

ObsiWan and CWTexansFan like this.
  5. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Whatever..

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Tbh while reading the thread I skipped over it too.

Mollywhopper likes this.
  7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Just curious, was there anyone in particular you were looking for?

I was hoping for Bell but knew it wasn't going to happen. When news broke we were trying to land Earl Thomas I bought it & let my emotions get the best of me.

I liked the idea of Cole Beasley til I saw the price tag & figured we better stay out of that market.

Anyone in particular you had your eye on?

8. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

State of the Texans@SOTTexans

Episode 4.1: New League Year Kicks Off and The #Texans are Sitting in the Weeds https://footballmaven.io/texans/news/episode-4-1-new-league-year-kicks-off-and-the-texans-are-sitting-in-the-weeds-521vCIZE506Mf18WZ17Xqg/ … via @SOTTexans

10:40 AM - Mar 14, 2019

"Brian Gaine not their first choice"
    Packers GM first choice that was hired while in a meeting with BOB
    Texans are shopping "In the clearance section of Goodwill"
    Hard to justify paying Blackson 4M per.
    Ripped into Texans for dumping KJo and then turning around and bringing in Verrett for a visit.

Texansballer74 likes this.
  9. santo

santo Hall of Fame

Tevin Coleman at least, and maybe a second tier OL guy.

I didn't much for the top guys but I wouldn't have mind Bell. I knew that one was a long shot of happening here.

10. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

The reason why he schemed/plotted to get rid of Smith. He wants total control like Belichick

santo likes this.

11. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

The reason why he schemed/plotted to get rid of Smith. He wants total control like Belichick

Come on Maverick it's not that serious huh. Lol

12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Yeah I'm gonna listen to radio dudes over crennel. I have been critical of the org but the Crennel knows what he's doing and he didn't want KJ back.

As far as Gaine not being first choice, then he was second because they didn't really interview anyone else outside of Rooney rule

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  13. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

I just can't not watch. I'm too much of a fan of the game in general to not watch. And, I have Deandre Hopkins in a keeper fantasy league so if nothing else I'll watch him do his thing every Sunday. I just thought we as a team were really close, and with a few really smart additions and a solid draft we could be a team that sees itself in the AFC championship game. After the way this free agency went (is going), I think we moved back towards a middle of the pack team while teams like the Browns who have aggressive and smart GM's went from the laughing stock to legitimate contenders for the next decade. It's just frustrating to see. We were right there. I can't say that now. We haven't gotten better.

14. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Keep it Movin!

Eagles

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You talking about me skimming over a diatribe and after the 1st couple of paragraphs then skipping to the last paragraph while I'm working. I dont know what to tell you I have to prioritize things or get phone calls I've got to answer etc... if that offends you well.....

CWTexansFan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I guess if you read BS again & again, you start to believe it's true & start making up your own BS.

It's ok. Not your fault. There was someone here campaigning such drivel & our minds can only resis so much. Eventually, we all break.

But... let's bring it back to reality. BO'b, dastardly though he is, didn't scheme cancer & death on Mrs. Rick Smith.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

The Houston Texans lose out in negotiations to the Tennessee Titans for offensive lineman Rodger Saffold.

Looks like the Texans were chasing a guard.

Max likes this.
  18. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Beasely would be a nice piece for this offense and yes he got overpaid, but sometimes you have to pay a little more than you should for a few players here and there. No team has a perfect deal on every player. Some players they have nightmare deals, some are bargains, and other are fair market rate deals.

The only safety worth the money was Collins. The rest got way overpaid and won't be worth it. (The ones that got big contracts.) Earl Thomas will likely be the worst one after those injuries he's had. No way he's worth that much. Tyron Mathiew isn't either.

Bell?? Jets will hate that contract in two years. I'd never pay big money to a RB.

Texans really need a slot receiver. Jared Cook is available and might be a nice TE addition.

What I'd have done is traded Clowney as long as I got pretty good compensation, and I'd be packaging everything possible for Olineman around the league. I'd knock on Arizona's door and see if they still would be interested in moving Patrick Peterson. I would have picked up Kareem Hunt as a free agent the first chance I had. Browns got a huge steal and a bargain there. I wanted Brown early on at OT, but once I saw how much money he was going to get I was out of that one. Way to much money for a one year wonder.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

That would take forward thinking and spending $$$$.

Those aren't hallmarks of the Texans org.

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Where did you see $56Mil in guarantees?
    RotoWorld says $40 mil in guarantees....
    LINK

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Trey Flowers' contract with the Lions is worth $90 million over five seasons.
    According to Pelissero, the deal includes $40 million guaranteed. When it was announced on Monday, the deal was expected to be worth $16-$17 million per season, but Flowers ended up at $18 million per year when it was said and done. The deal makes him the top-paid defensive end in the league outside of DeMarcus Lawrence, who is set to play under the franchise tag, and puts him behind just Khalil Mack and Von Miller among edge rushers.

From what I've heard, the franchise tag on Clowney is $15.9 mil. Talking yearly salaries, that's in the ball park, so now it's a matter of contract length and what the guaranteed part will be. Unfortunately, the word is the two sides may not be close (right now) on those pieces of the contract.

Personally, I hate the thought of giving up proven commodities for "maybes" in the draft. So I'm not a fan of trade talk.