Are Texans players in organized workouts/practices???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, May 12, 2011.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I'm reading about players from many league teams in organized workouts: Pats, Saints, Jets, etc.

Have not seen anything saying Texans are doing the same?

2. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

Awhile ago there was an article about Schaub organizing the workouts and back when the lockout was lifted and players were "allowed" to workout at the facilities, I remember another article saying that while a few people came to Reliant or wherever they workout that most of the others continued to workout with each other at their designated site

Here's an article: They are working out at Rice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ub-organizes-team-workouts-at-rice-university

3. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

I want to say the Texans were the first to organize workouts but it wasn't really reported on NFLN as they are now for the higher profile teams. Texans get no respect but untill they start winning, what else can you expect?

4. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I get the impression that these workouts at Rice involve just offensive
    personnel ? I think I read that DeMeco Ryans, the unquestioned leader of the defense, is doing his rehab for last years season-ending injury back home in Alabama and without him there's really no one to organize and lead the defensive guys in workouts like Schaub and the offense are doing ?

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I wish MW would stand up and take charge if this is the case. He's supposed to be our best defensive play. I'm glad Cushing hasn't. He might "over train" again.

6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Alot of teams did it around the same time. It isn't about respect, just that is what alot of teams did. Romo has had the Cowboys working out daily. He organizes and has at least 40 players a day showing up. Many teams are and have been doing the same.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I don't think Mario is the type who's inclined to lead in spite of his abilities and value to the defense, and I'm of the opinion that Cushing is not popular enough/held in high enough regard by his teammats to effectively lead them.

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Practice? Practice? It is only Practice and we don't need Practice!

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

While I think it's better than nothing, and I'd be concerned if my team wasn't doing these self-organized workouts, I don't think a player organized practice can come close to the value of what they'd be getting in OTA's and mini-camps.

Does anyone know of an instance where a group of players has hired retired or unemployed NFL coaches to manage and oversee these workouts? I think this would be far more effective than anything these guys can do on their own - regardless of what team we're talking about.

10. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Good idea. Maybe the D can convince $ Bum to come watch a few practices.

:coffee:

11. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Could this be just one of the problems of this team on defense. There is no leader. Just a bunch of individuals playing. You hope Wade brings this to the defense, but they still need some team leaders.