Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Are Texans legitimate contenders next year.

Are we legitimate contenders next year.

• No we arent.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Yes we definitely are contenders.

Votes: 65 89.0%
  • I will reserve judgement till after the draft.

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

The Medic01

Waterboy
Everyone take off your homer shoes and really think about it. I will add in our schedule when I find it. And don't just say yes or no actually give s reason. I say yes because while we did have an easy schedule we destroyed the bad teams which is what great teams do. And that last Ravens playoff game when we outplayed them at every position except QB. I think we are legitimate contenders next year even with a tougher schedule.

I have been thinking about this for a little while now.
The Texans will be a legit contender for a few reasons. I'll cite a few reasons regarding the Texans and a few reasons concerning the rest of the league.

Why The Texans feel they should be contenders

1. The Age: Compared to other contenders in the league, this team is young! You would normally think that this may be a problem, but the fact that they went on the run that they did last season, gave them experience!

2. Episode 5: Team Wary Strikes Back! Ok sorry for the Star Wars reference, I couldn't help it. But as we all know, Wade will be back next season. He will be back and all of our defenisve players will have a full offseason under Wade. This will improve the defense greater than what it already is. IF we can re sign Mario on the Defensive side, our defense will be near un stoppable with players like Reed, Barwin, and Mario on the field at the same time!

3. Schaub should return healthy next season. Reports indicate that his rehab is going well, and he should be good to go by the begining of the season. Schaub is the only wild card this team has at the moment. However if Schaub is not ready to go by OTA's or not 100 percent, then T.J. will get all of the work in the off season, so in the case if he does have to start a few games in the regular season, he will be more prepared this season as oppossed to last season, which makes me feel great!

Why the League indicates the Texans will be contenders.

1. Other teams getting older. As I said earlier, the Texans have a young team, while other teams in the AFC are getting older. The Ravens have an aging defense, as do the Steelers. I do not believe the Patriots are as dominant as they once were, and the AFC West is always a mess.

2. Home Schedule. We can easily go undefeated at Home this season. It is possible. We play Tennesse, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Miami, Green Bay, Minnesota, and Baltimore. We already play well at home, I feel like the Baltimore game will be rocking and they won't beat us. Minnesota, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, and Miami will not be good teams next season. Green Bay will be a great game, and I feel like that will be a season defining game.

3. The AFC South will not be competitive. So Even if we do drop a couple at home, I think we can still clinch the south this time around. The only competition will be the Titans, but I am not too sure how they will do next seaons. I honestly think the Texans can pull off a 13-3 record, if everyone remains healthy of course.

I made a post a couple of weeks saying the The Texans will be the next great team of this decade. I firmly believe it because everything is pointing in the right direction for us. My goal for this team is the AFC championship. I think this team can clinch a super bowl berth.

I hope my post wasn't too long. Hope yall enjoy.

Compare the Texans to the top AFC teams:

Bartimore: Defense getting old, offense isn't all that great.
Pitt: Whole team is getting old
Pats: Need to find a defense
Denver: Great defense, need a QB. Tebow isn't going to cut it.
Bengals: QB needs more seasoning, Defense is good but not great.
Jets: Need a better answer at QB, HC needs to regain control.
Chargers: No one knows what team will show up week to week.
Raiders: New ownership, new coaching staff, same lack of 2 deep talent.
Indy: Even if Payton comes back, their D is awful.
Ten: Need an answer at QB, HC needs some seasoning.
Jax: :lol:

I have to see what they do with the offseason. They could screw everything up and lose Myers, Mario and Foster.

They'd be marginal playoff contenders if that happened.

Yes, I think we're contenders. If Schaub is healthy, then we're right back near the top of the AFC.

The schedule looks difficult on paper, but I remember last season's schedule did too before the year started and it ended it up being pretty easy. With the parity in the NFL, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of the teams who look tough actually end up being average or bad.

Contenders for what? Making the playoffs again? Yes we are, even if we lose Mario, Foster and Myers we are still contenders for a playoff spot. This is a very balanced team.

Contenders for playing in the super bowl next year? As long as we keep Foster and Myers and get another wide out, yes. We can lose Mario and still be in the super bowl next year. And I'll say that before free agency and the draft which hopefully makes us stronger.

barring injuries (I know that sounds funny) we should be right back in the thick of things.

Titans had a season better than I thought they would with all that turnover.. They do not have the talent that the Texans have but should be the only one that could hang around in the division right now

EFF it!!! I'm flying to Vegas and "Ima Texan_bill" is gonna throw down $10,000.00 to win it ALL!!!

:truck:
Alright, I'm kidding and will throw down a gentleman's bet (like breakfast or something) with a buddy. Just sayin'!

Contenders for what? Making the playoffs again? Yes we are, even if we lose Mario, Foster and Myers we are still contenders for a playoff spot. This is a very balanced team.

Contenders for playing in the super bowl next year? As long as we keep Foster and Myers and get another wide out, yes. We can lose Mario and still be in the super bowl next year. And I'll say that before free agency and the draft which hopefully makes us stronger.

yep.. I don't know why but I keep thinking that this is a very important draft for the Texans(I know every draft is important) however with all the contracts coming up on key players over the next couple of years, I just keep thinking "we need to knock this draft out of the park again" .. I guess I feel with another good draft, we could become Patiotesque, where we could trade players that are becoming too expensive due to good season and we have to balance the cap out.

I know..weird thinking tonight, maybe fatique is catching up with me after a long week

I think it all depends on our QB situation. We need improved QB play to contend for a superbowl. Simple as that.

I interpret the term "contenders" to mean that it is probable that we would likely be in contention for a certain title. In other words, while a lot of things are possible, only a subset of those are probable.

I think that we will be contenders for the AFCS Division Title.

I think that we are contenders for playoff spot, either by winning the AFCS or via wild card.

I don't believe that we are contenders for the AFC Title or the Super Bowl.

Contenders for what? A playoff spot? Division championship? AFC championship? Superbowl win? Knowing would help me to vote.

it's all about health. if we take this team plus the 2012 draft into next season, we're not only contenders but favorites. foster, schaub, joseph, cushing, brown or any combination of starters is lost for extended time and we're back to the middle of the pack. our key starters are 24-28 years old, it's going to be a while longer before we're not only stout on both ends as we are now (and we are stacked), but also have backups who arent just out of their teens or new to the squad.

Healthy yes and next year I just can't see so many.....nevermind....not going to go there......

Yes, if healthy.

Based upon the information we have at this moment, I don't see how there can be any other answer than yes, of course they are contenders.
Things might change over the course of the off season, but the most recent information available is that the Houston Texans are a playoff team.

It's nice to see more people getting realistic about injuries, for a change.

Yes, Houston is a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl next year. What other team in the NFL has a top five defense (Pass, Run, Overall & Scoring), a top five rushing attack (#2) and a passing game that has been in the top ten when their QB has been healthy?

Everyone take off your homer shoes and really think about it. I will add in our schedule when I find it. And don't just say yes or no actually give s reason. I say yes because while we did have an easy schedule we destroyed the bad teams which is what great teams do. And that last Ravens playoff game when we outplayed them at every position except QB. I think we are legitimate contenders next year even with a tougher schedule.
Contender for what? I say yes to Super Bowl butwe need to make radical moves to better this team. A major move was Wade Phillips canceling the interview. Mario and Foster decisions as well as FA choices and the draft are others. Best off season ever for me.

EFF it!!! I'm flying to Vegas and "Ima Texan_bill" is gonna throw down $10,000.00 to win it ALL!!!

:truck:
Alright, I'm kidding and will throw down a gentleman's bet (like breakfast or something) with a buddy. Just sayin'!
Uh, Bill can you & I talk about that ten grand you just have lying around? Could I be your new favorite charity? I'll sing your praises!. And all those terrible things I ever said about you? Well I could be really, really sorry. Just saying. Not begging. But..if you need begging?

Both the Jets & the Eagles had great seasons 2010 & off-seasons in 2011. Both looked like contenders week 1. Week 5, not so much.

I'm not worried about the draft or FA. In retrospect it appears the Texans handle that aspect of the "business" somewhat better than average.

Are they still hungry? Or do they think they are media darlings?

Are they mentally tough? Or was that some emotional "high"?

I think the Texans are as talented as any team in the league. More talented than most. I think Gary Kubiak does a fine job teaching these boys to play (Wade on the defensive side) & drawing up plays.

I'll be full blown koolaide drunk by August... right now, I'm skeptical.

Uh, Bill can you & I talk about that ten grand you just have lying around? Could I be your new favorite charity? I'll sing your praises!. And all those terrible things I ever said about you? Well I could be really, really sorry. Just saying. Not begging. But..if you need begging?

Badboy...does that bad ass boat that you have ,have a pole on it? :texanbill:

2. Episode 5: Team Wary Strikes Back! Ok sorry for the Star Wars reference, I couldn't help it. But as we all know, Wade will be back next season. He will be back and all of our defenisve players will have a full offseason under Wade. This will improve the defense greater than what it already is. IF we can re sign Mario on the Defensive side, our defense will be near un stoppable with players like Reed, Barwin, and Mario on the field at the same time!
I remember saying something similar after 2009 except I was optimistic about our head-hunter in the secondary (Pollard), improvement from Connor, Quin, & McCain... y'know?
2. Home Schedule. We can easily go undefeated at Home this season. It is possible. We play Tennesse, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Miami, Green Bay, Minnesota, and Baltimore. We already play well at home, I feel like the Baltimore game will be rocking and they won't beat us. Minnesota, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, and Miami will not be good teams next season. Green Bay will be a great game, and I feel like that will be a season defining game.
I don't know if I want to play Green Bay early or late. If we pick up where we left off, we can beat the Packers with a steady run game & stingy defense. I think Miami, Baltimore, & Buffalo will all be good games. I don't think any of them are gimmees. Miami is as talented as SF, the right coach... & that could be a good game.
3. The AFC South will not be competitive. So Even if we do drop a couple at home, I think we can still clinch the south this time around. The only competition will be the Titans, but I am not too sure how they will do next seaons. I honestly think the Texans can pull off a 13-3 record, if everyone remains healthy of course.

I think the Titans are a couple of pieces away. Kenny Brit, a solid defensive draft.... we may need 13 games to win the division.

It takes more than talent, a lot more to win in this league.

Yes, but how else are we to predict who is a contender for next year if we're not going on talent? Going on talent entering this past season everyone (including myself) was predicting the Eagles to win the NFC East and go far into the playoffs, while pretty much writing off the Giants in the process. Having a talented offense and defense should at least make Houston serious contenders.

Yes, but how else are we to predict who is a contender for next year if we're not going on talent? Going on talent entering this past season everyone (including myself) was predicting the Eagles to win the NFC East and go far into the playoffs, while pretty much writing off the Giants in the process. Having a talented offense and defense should at least make Houston serious contenders.

This makes my point. We can't go on talent alone. The Eagles & the Jets are prime examples... the Giants are a very good example in the other direction.

Do you have faith in Kubiak? Do you believe he can "ground" these budding egos & meld them into a team, a championship team?

I had doubts about the Jets the minute they signed Plaxico. Not that I have a problem with Plax, but in my mind, they were adding too much to that team in a short period of time. In just three offseasons, that roster has been turned upside down. And I had no faith in Rex to be able to pull it all together. Now that there is discension in the locker room, I know Rex is not the man to pull it back together, I don't think he's equipped that way.

The Eagles... I know Reid has had a lot of success, but I don't think much of him as a team builder. The key to that team has been the defense & the man who ran that defense isn't there. Again, adding too many personalities to quickly...

So we look at the Texans.

We're not going crazy in FA, you know that. Other than our draft picks we won't be adding any top talent... any dominant personalities. Besides, I think Kubiak does a good (probably great) job of setting expectations & getting personalities working towards that expectation.

What worries me about the Texans is that last year was the first time we saw success not blow out that fire. The first time we could consistently expect to win & actually win.

Does Duane Brown understand he has to play better than he did last season? Does Chris Myers, Eric Winston, Ben Tate, Andre Johnson, James Casey? Is there any player on the defensive side of the ball who thinks they played well enough?

Are they mentally tough? Do they refuse to lose?

It takes more than talent, a lot more to win in this league.
Looking at the adversity this team played through last season should be a strong indicator that the coaches have a good feel for the team and the chemistry is pretty good in the locker room. This team was built with good drafting and, especially last off season, shrewd FA moves and one helluva hire in Phillips. There don't seem to be any primadonna's on the team. I like where we stand there.
My biggest concern is the way Phillips' defenses tend to fall off in the second year. That record has me a bit leery.

I picked no! Because i wanted to troll...

Given your nick we hardly expected logic.
:D

I voted, "wait until after the draft & F/A".
Not just for us but to see how everyone else improved.

Know thy self, know thy enemy.
A thousand battles, a thousand victories.
- Sun Tzu

This makes my point. We can't go on talent alone. The Eagles & the Jets are prime examples... the Giants are a very good example in the other direction.

Do you have faith in Kubiak? Do you believe he can "ground" these budding egos & meld them into a team, a championship team?
So we look at the Texans.

We're not going crazy in FA, you know that. Other than our draft picks we won't be adding any top talent... any dominant personalities. Besides, I think Kubiak does a good (probably great) job of setting expectations & getting personalities working towards that expectation.

What worries me about the Texans is that last year was the first time we saw success not blow out that fire. The first time we could consistently expect to win & actually win.

Does Duane Brown understand he has to play better than he did last season? Does Chris Myers, Eric Winston, Ben Tate, Andre Johnson, James Casey? Is there any player on the defensive side of the ball who thinks they played well enough?

Are they mentally tough? Do they refuse to lose?

If the "Next Man Up" attitude this team showed thru all the injuries and whatnot of this past season doesn't show you that we have a TEAM and not a bunch of divas, I don't know what will.

I don't remember any game that we lost that we were blown out of except for maaaaybe the Carolina game. And I attribute that to the hangover/letdown that came from clinching the division the previous week.

Team Wary has built a team of fighters. As long as they're here, they'll keep "the kids" hungry and focused.

But there's always a chance we lose key pieces in free agency. That unknown is what keeps me from going all in right now.

Honest assessment: I'm pretty nervous about our schedule, and predict the AFC south won't produce a wild-card team. So we're going to have to win the division again for sure, although 10-6 will probably be enough. If we can manage that, then I see us as the no 3 seed again, which will probably see us on the road for a tough divisional game assuming we win our home wild-card game. I'm yet to be convinced that Schaub is quite clutch enough to win a tough road game of that magnitude, so I'm predicting an exit at the same stage next year.

Sure we play in a pretty weak divison. Thts the only reason why we should be in the playoffs for at least the next 2 years

I have to see what they do with the offseason. They could screw everything up and lose Myers, Mario and Foster.

They'd be marginal playoff contenders if that happened.

It would be gross mismanagement to lose all 3. Mario will probably be shopped, but the other two aren't going anywhere. It depends on the NFL new year beginning in March when some people will be cut. Some more money will be freed up.

My guess (hope) is that we will definitely contend for the next SB in 2013.

Honest assessment: I'm pretty nervous about our schedule, and predict the AFC south won't produce a wild-card team. So we're going to have to win the division again for sure, although 10-6 will probably be enough. If we can manage that, then I see us as the no 3 seed again, which will probably see us on the road for a tough divisional game assuming we win our home wild-card game. I'm yet to be convinced that Schaub is quite clu.tch enough to win a tough road game of that magnitude, so I'm predicting an exit at the same stage next year.

Contrary to popular belief Schaub is pretty clutch. And anyways he has never had the supporting cast. I am under the opinion that we go 12-4 and make it to the AFC championship game at least.

Contrary to popular belief Schaub is pretty clutch. And anyways he has never had the supporting cast. I am under the opinion that we go 12-4 and make it to the AFC championship game at least.

I agree with you on Schaub. Though we lost & brain farted at the end of the game, I think the Raiders game, the last two drives were among his best of his career..... & he's had some clutch performances.

What supporting cast did he have in 2012 that he didn't in 2011? The defense sucked...... but there were several games where the offense was in position to win it. There was also the OT game at home vs Baltimore where the offense lost it...... & it was a "Farve" type of pick 6 that ended the game.

Then we have no idea when he'll be ready to play again & at what level.....

I agree with you on Schaub. Though we lost & brain farted at the end of the game, I think the Raiders game, the last two drives were among his best of his career..... & he's had some clutch performances.

What supporting cast did he have in 2012 that he didn't in 2011? The defense sucked...... but there were several games where the offense was in position to win it. There was also the OT game at home vs Baltimore where the offense lost it...... & it was a "Farve" type of pick 6 that ended the game.

Then we have no idea when he'll be ready to play again & at what level.....

Wait what year are you talking about.

Back