Are Kickers Football players?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TheTim5125, Feb 10, 2005.

1. TheTim5125

TheTim5125 Veteran

I say yes, there's a lot of pressure being a kicker. Game winning kicks, Coffin punts, deep kick offs. Football is a team sport and a kicker is part of the team. Who is the NFL leading scorer? a kicker... we need these guys. What do you think?

2. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

I think they play on a football team.
    therefore are football players.

But thats just me, using my silly logic.

3. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

A field goal kickers stress level is definitley higher than that of a punter. But they all have to contribute on special teams, including tackles-some pretty, most not so much.

4. jagfan29

jagfan29 Rookie

They are players to me.They have pressure on them to win games,and save games with a tackle on occasion.plus i bet they are in better physical shape than other sports...cough....golf.lol

5. They are about as much a football player as one of the guys on the side of the tennis court that picks up the balls are tennis pros. Please, they are overglorified. They get way to much attention just like a relief pitcher does when he throws a few pitches to end a ball game. They should even wear helmets, its useless. They don't hardly wear any pads and the facemask it thing tampon, errr i mean bar across the face. If we didn't have kickers I wouldn't miss them.

6. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

Could you pick a worse example?

7. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Yea, I guess the Patriots REALLY hate kickers!!

8. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Our kicker is one helluva athlete and football player. He was an All-State QB at Southlake Carroll. He is a guy willing (to a fault sometimes) to stick his head in there and make a tackle on returns. He didn't stop being a football player all of a sudden when he became a kicker.

Less athletic types like Martin Gramatica and jerks like Vanderjagt reinforce the stereotype.

9. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

The Lions kicker if he gets lined up, will actually try and lay people out on occasion.

Which Chris Speilman shamelessly takes credit for teaching him how to do.

:coolb:

Also who is that guy that Punts/Kicks and does KR for the Dolphins?
    I would say he is a football player.

Kickers occasionally are asked to chase and tackle guys on kickoffs.

There are guys on a football team who have 1 job. Run into the wedge. Snap the football. Hold the ball on the kickoff.

They are the pawns.
    But they are still peices to the game.
    If it were something any person could do, there would be more people trying to do it. And alot more would be very good at it.

10. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

I'll second that! Kris Brown has shown many times that he isn't afraid to lay people out.

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

To me, more than anything else football is a contact sport (like in "physical"
    contact). There's just one category of team members who aren't intended to
    participate in the contact. Draw your conclusions from that.

12. dan7

dan7 Veteran

Yes...I consider kickers to be football players.....

13. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I think you can answer this two ways - Are kickers football players. No question about that. Ummm, let's see. They are on a football field, wearing football clothing, and hemet, and are listed on a football roster. I think this qualifies them as a football player.

Now, a seperate question is are they athletes? Well, many are good athletes, including our own Kris Brown. Others are probably not anywhere near the same class of ahtlete as the other players on the field, but that doesn't mean they are not valuable. One could argue that they are the most important player on the field, bar none, including the QB. They have to be in overall good shape, and in good health to do what they do. I feel they do qualify as athletes, more so than your average golfer, but not as much as the other athletes on the field with them. None of that makes them less valuable though.

14. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

They are football players but they are not part of the team. They are the tax auditors, hall monitors, internal affairs of the team, basically the outcasts on the team.

15. jagualex

jagualex Rookie

I think that all of us are more apt to say that yes they are because we are simpathetic to them and they are the closest to being like us...physically i mean

16. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Speak for yourself. I'm closer to a lineman (6'3", 280 lbs.) than a kicker.

17. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I think you're thinking of Wes Welker. He started out as a KR for the Chargers, but they let him go and he signed with the Dolphins at a similiar position. He did the place kicking duties for the 'Phins for one game I think before they brought in another kicker. He is a WR by trade, but he faired pretty well kicking some XP for the Dolphins.

Well I'm 6'3" and about 250 so I'm either a MLB or perhaps a TE that could add a few pounds.

18. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

ok, maybe you didn't know Vady also played a little WR in college.

19. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I didn't say he wasn't an athlete. I said he was a jerk.

20. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I played OT and DT in high school. I had a bit of talent but was sorely lacking in quickness and speed. I had good lower body strength, but I was a late developer in terms of my upper body.