April 28, 2006

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HoustonFrog, Nov 13, 2008.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Sorry but I found it funny when doing my usual board scanning that April 28, 2006 was the most users ever on this board at the same time. Around 9 pm. 1,493 users. What happened that day?We signed Williams over Bush..lol. Just found it interesting.

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I remember a few folks at work that were actually emotionally upset to the point they almost couldn't concentrate on their jobs. This was all they could talk about.

I wasn't on this board at the time, it must have been maddness! LOL

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

It was so annoying. We were flooded with Reggie Bush highlights and like 10 insightful posters out of 5,000 morons, including myself, actually liked Mario.

4. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Ya you really couldnt get through to anyone at the time.

5. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Ha ha I wish I would have been around for that.

6. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

No you don't. It was a troll attack the likes of which I'd never seen. I still have flashbacks to this day. My wife has had to sleep in the guest room ever since.

The horrah....

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I can't possibly imagine over a thousand registered users on here at once all pissed off at the draft. Wow. Were Purple Hearts handed out to the mods afterwards? LOL

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I avoided this place like the plague. In fact that weekend I drank. I drank heavily.

9. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

That was a bad day on here. People, including myself, were about to explode with frustration and anger.

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I guess I was one of the "morons". I thought that Mario was a workout warrior, and Bush was at worst going to be a Brian Westbrook. It's funny because hindsight is 20/20. So, if Bush was the second coming and Mario was a bust, would 5,000 of us have been insightful, and 10 of you morons, or do you have some kind of crystal ball the rest of us don't?

GP likes this.
  11. GP

GP Go Texans!

Good post.

The issue over Mario vs. Reggie was a difficult one. You had a running back who was electrifying and did crazy stuff on the field, and you had a physical specimen in Mario who was graded out higher than Julius Peppers for a lot of scouts.

I fell into the group that was in-between: I was shocked that we didn't select Bush, concerned about Mario for a few reasons, but glad that we didn't select Vince Young. I was a wait-and-see sort of guy. For me, there was just such shock that the Texans FO weathered the hype storm that ensued up until draft day. Was shocking that they had that much discipline in the midst of so much hype in the media.

Looking back at the Texans offense (with AJ being the only true weapon at the time) it's hard to say you wouldn't want a potential game-changing RB who could split out wide and do other various things (return kicks).

12. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

I believe I was one of the 10 who wasn't having a complete mental meltdown, IIRC...
    do I get a special prize? :stirpot:

13. Texan_Bill

Any prize you might have been awarded, floated away with your balloon... :whistle:

14. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Is there ever a weekend that you don't drink "heavily"?

15. Texan_Bill

Yes....... hang on, I'm thinking.

May have to go back to you. ;)

16. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Both Bush and Williams are turning out to be good players

I dont think, in retrospect, it was unfair to label MW as a potential workout warrier. If it walks, talks, and looks like a duck...

I guess sometimes it turns out to be a chicken

17. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Or a goose.

18. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I was one of the folks that was actually rooting for Mario over Vince Young and Bush. I viewed vince as a lackluster QB that didnt have the drive and intelligence to be an elite QB. Bush, I was put off by the recent revelations about the shady dealings he had been involved in, and I felt that he was too small to be the kind of runningback that we needed on the team.

My list had Mario at the top, followed by Dbrick..and then a tradedown.

Anyway.. all I really remember from those days was that 75% of people were outraged.. 20% were trying to be optimistic.. 4% just didnt want to talk about it.. and 1% were happy but afraid to say it :D.

We also had alot of people from other teams come around to tell us we were stupid, and get in a few hyucks on our behalf.

19. Bob McNair

Bob McNair Veteran

In hindsight, we seem to have gotten the best player of the first three players taken and Tennessee seems to have gotten the worst.

But someday instead of being vindicated because we took the best player in the draft I would rather be the team who took the player who melts down in his third year and can't beat out a 40 year old journeyman with the only undefeated team in the league and a 4 game division lead halfway through the season. We "won" the draft, I'd prefer to win football games.

20. IMA TEXAN

IMA TEXAN Rookie

In hindsight, we seem to have gotten the best player of the first three players taken and Tennessee seems to have gotten the worst.

But someday instead of being vindicated because we took the best player in the draft I would rather be the team who took the player who melts down in his third year and can't beat out a 40 year old journeyman with the only undefeated team in the league and a 4 game division lead halfway through the season. We "won" the draft, I'd prefer to win football games.