Apology to Matt Schaub

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Trail.Blazr, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Trail.Blazr

Trail.Blazr All Pro

I had no faith in you coming into 2009. I thought you were at best a very good backup, who couldn't play out a full season and would end up being the biggest contributor to any woe's on offense. With our backups being what they were, saw the potential for a dismal year. I was dead wrong!

You rocked the house all season long! Without you, Houston would have struggled to be average at best. I have truly become a fan and hope you have a long career as our perennial pro-bowl quarterback.

2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I was about 50/50 on the guy but was more worried about him holding up all season than anything. I'll give Matty boy a thanks as well though. I thought he had a great season and never understood why he got criticized a lot in here throughout the season.

What impressed me the most about Schaub this year though is that how he was able to take the Texans down the field a few times at the end of games. It didn't get noticed much, because a few of those games were the Chris Brown failures and the missed kicks by the other Brown. Schaub did his part though.

Look forward to seeing what he can do next season.

Props to you for admitting that you were wrong as well. At least it's something that you can feel happy to be wrong about. :thisbig:

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

on the bandwagon, off the bandwagon, on the bandwagon, off the bandwagon guess that's life of message boards :pursefight:

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I think a lot of us were wrong about Schaub, which isn't a surprise. We traded two 2nd round draft choices for someone elses backup QB, and he was injured a lot his first two seasons. I won't apologize for my misgivings about him, but I will certainly admit I was wrong.

Really wrong. LOL. But in situations like this one, it's nice to be wrong. :)

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Ok, one season does not a trend make. I think the NFL is (from a players perspective) all about proving yourself and then next year proving yourself all over again (repeat until you retire) so I want to see him build on this and add to it. Healthy though he did very well. Some brain fart decisions (pick 6) here and there but he did very well overall.

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

My apology to Matt Schaub is that we didn't trade for him sooner. :fingergun:

7. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Good for you for eating crow. I've done it on several occasions over the Mario/Reggie thing. On Matt, I was actually a fan of his when he was still in Atlanta (Yes, I am also a Falcons fan. Look it up.), so I liked the trade from day one.

8. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I was right about Schaub, but I've been wrong about other stuff (DC), so I'll just keep my piehole shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

I was just hopeful he could stay healthy all year and he took a beating and still managed a perfect attendance record. Boy, what a mess if he'd gone down early. I wasn't terribly excited about our chances with him as the season began but looking at the 9-7 record posted I think there was plenty of reasons for that. Schaub had more to do with the nine wins than he did with the losses, IMO. As for the criticism on this board I think that had a lot to do with his impeccably bad timing of his mistakes.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Fixed that for you - Pro Bowl dont mean much these days ....

11. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I fully admit that I owe Matt Schaub an apology.

12. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

My hat is off to all of those that admit when they are wrong. It takes a Big Message Board Poster to admit it.

13. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

It's really a shame they gave up two 2nd round picks, and swapped their first round picks for Shaub, as opposed to just giving up the 1st round pick alone for him. Instead we got 1 DT - Okoye, pick #10 overall - instead of two 2nd rounders in the top 50 picks...

Not that I'm certain the Falcons would have gone for it, but it would probably be more value to the Falcons that way. I think if you're willing to go out and grab a backup QB to make him your franchise QB, you better be certain enough to give up a 1st round pick for him.

14. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

I never doubted him because I was always a big believer in the value of those three years he had in Atlanta. Starting games is essential to a quarterback's development, but I think many fans are too quick to dismiss the important foundation work that gets done behind the scenes. Quarterbacks with the physical tools to be successful in the NFL learn just as much on the practice field and the film room as they do on the Sunday gridiron.

I remember well the criticisms many NFL fans and media experts directed at the Texans when they traded for Schaub. So many geniuses were laughing at the price the organization paid to obtain his rights with the typical braying about the value of that additional second round pick. The argument was familiar to all of us--"omg the Texans offensive line sucks, what are they doing wasting picks on a quarterback?!?!?! And who the hell is Matt Schaub, what has he ever done?"

My response was always the same--what he lacks in game experience he makes up for in three years of practices and training camps. The work he put in likely played a big part in the team's decision to take the risk of trading for him. Why gamble on a rookie qb when you can get a talented young guy who's been studying the game from the sideline?

Many draftniks were critical of the front office for supposedly wasting valuable picks on Schaub instead of using those picks to draft Brady Quinn instead and build the o-line. They were critical of the contract Schaub received and said the Texans were crazy to offer that kind of money to an unproven, third-round draft pick who played backup to Michael Vick. They were wrong.

I'd be lying if I said I thought Schaub would be this good, but I expected him to be an above-average quarterback who could immediately produce for the offense. From the first week of the 2007 season when he went deep to AJ, I knew we had a real NFL quarterback.

15. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

We were 9-7, that qualifies as above average season? I'm confused?

16. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

yes it does!

17. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

8 - 8 = Average
    9 - 7 = Above the average (if only slightly)

18. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

With an apology to matt well deserved, How Good does everyone think he will become?

19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

9-7 is above average, barely, but it is. 8-8 is average. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The Texans are a team that no one in the league can simply dismiss. Progress has been slow, but it has been progress.

Like we've been saying for years now, next year will be the year! LOL

20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

:rolleyes: Yeah right!

If all you (clears throat) "crow-eaters" weren't so damn arrogantly adamant that your original views be expressed as facts rather than opinions . . . then just saying, "Well, I eat crow" might fly.

But that's not what's happening.