AP Article-New-look Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Link: New-look Texans seeking new-look results.

Texan Asylum likes this.
  2. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Another good read TC. Thanks for the post!

3. Texansfan36

Texansfan36 Veteran

Great read. Thanks TC!!

Go Texans!!!:mario: :yahoo: :fireball: :bowser:

4. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Thanks TC.

5. Scooter

Scooter Funky

good stuff. mckinney will likely be at RG however with pitts at LG.

6. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I caught that too. It is good to hear that the competition will be fierce on the OL. We need a cohesive unit on the field this fall. I think we will suprise a lot of people this year, we have had a great offseason.

7. Scooter

Scooter Funky

agreed, there's nothing better going into training camp than legitimate competition for a starting position. however, these reports of "all 5 of our linemen are out of position" are very exaggerated. flanagan is going to be playing center under a mike sherman offense. pitts has been playing LG for the past 2 years, and mckinney saw time at RG last year and played guard with the colts. weigert has seen time at RT and wand has started almost a full season at LT. these guys are light on experience for the most part obviously, however it's not the musical chairs situation that many reporters would lead us to believe.

Runner likes this.
  8. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

here us what he said..."faces the unenviable task of turning around a team that sunk to the NFL's worst record ", let me see 2-14 not good but surely not as bad as 1-15 or 0-16, which I recall many people saying they felt Texans would not win a game. To counterpoint Mr. Happyface, I would recall Carolina Panthers of 2001 going 1-15 and a scant two years later going 11-5 in 2003 and playing in Super Bowl :francis:

9. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

When the "fierce competition for the o-line positions" topic is brought up, the discussion usually turns to tackles around here. Does anybody want to discuss the odds of Weary beating out McKinney for right guard?

10. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

It's unclear what combination of players the Texans will line up to protect Carr, but the unit will be anchored by veteran Steve McKinney at left guard. They added tackle Ephraim Salaam in free agency and gargantuan tackles Eric Winston of Miami and Charles Spencer from Pittsburgh in the third round of the draft. Winston is 6-7, 307, and Spencer is 6-5, 352.

I'm a bit suprised Mike Flanagan wasn't mentioned here. That is who I am counting on to anchor this line.

11. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I'm taking the bolded statement with a grain of salt, since it's an AP article. I was just wondering what the people on the board thought. I'm not sure that McKinneys performance in the past years, albeit at out of position at center, guarantees him a "lock".

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think it meant the worst record last season...which we did have.

13. CenTexNative

CenTexNative Veteran

Good stuff. Thanks for the update

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i dont want mckinney on this team, and i've made that perfectly clear for years. mckinney is NOT any good ... his feet are fine, but his hands and decision making are fubar'd, both of which are too late in his career to correct. as for weary, he's been disappointing even as a backup IMO (BUT, he's servicable for the price). however i'm in full agreement with texanspride that the acquisition of flanagan is too far under the radar. a probowler anchoring the worst offensive line in NFL history, under his transferred (and very successful) head coach, and using arguably the most productive scheme in NFL history ... this should be the focus of the pundits. we have the worst possible unit, and the largest possible gain in place, however they're overshadowed by a 33 year old receiver and a rookie DE (both of which i love, but we're talking about the texans). my head hurts.

even if both of our draft picks are busts (not likely), we're twice the line we've ever been because of coaching alone. wand is one of the smartest and most physically gifted linemen we'll see. pitts is solid anywhere on the line. flanagan's a probowler. weigert & mckinney are bad, but they're servicable and can hold up until our rookies and/or free agents can take over. if even one of our draft picks can start next season, we're in position to jump from the worst line ever into one of the top 15. the ripple effect from this change is obvious to even novice fans. better blocking means both better passing and running games. these mean more time on offense and less on defense. this means a more refreshed defense and better pass rush ... combined with a focus on a dominant defensive line and we've become the jaguars on defense, and the broncos on offense. WOW. it ALL starts in the trenches and the broncos have learned this ... the texans are on our way because we're leaning on the lines. i've been a fan my entire life and i've NEVER been more excited about a football team.

Hardcore Texan and Kaiser Toro like this.
  15. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Yea, it has been a exciting offseason.

That's a positive article about the Texans? Amazing.

16. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

When they wiped out the depth chart on the web site, I took it to mean NOBODY has a lock.

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

This particular AP contributor happens to be female.

How is that article "good stuff?" (from a newsiness perspective) To me, the article reads like a general summary overview that could have been penned in May or June. It does hit on the salient offseason talking points that make it suitable for the intended readership I guess - a national audience that is not as familiar with each and every little detail about the Texans as we are -- or maybe those who went on a two month cruise to a desert island with no cell phones, tv, or internet and are just now getting back and need a quick catch up. On second thought, any semi-positive article about the Texans in a national outlet is a good thing.

They shuffle guys around, yes, but McKinney anchoring the line at LG is probably news to Chester...

18. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

EVERY year some team has worst record in that season, but it is an AP article so he didn't have to make sense. god I miss UPI

19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Aren't we expecting Pitts at LG and McKinney at RG? McKinney at LG would be a bit up of a shock to me. But then again, lets get the best guys on the field and light up the scoreboard.

20. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

I can't wait for the season to begin. Good read TC. I'm not expecting all that much from the team.... just 8 - 8. That's fair. The bare minimum, 7 - 9.