Anyone seen this Story ? about Wade Phillips

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CyberTexan, Dec 15, 2005.

1. CyberTexan

CyberTexan Veteran

has anyone seen this story and NFL dot com :
    SON OF A BUM

Now that Dan Reeves has been hired as a consultant for Houston, look for the Texans to grant a head-coaching interview to San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

Reeves and Phillips began working together in the 1980s in Denver, and each has a high opinion of the other. Reeves will be involved in the Texans' search for a head coach, and Phillips is anxious to become a head coach again, as he was in Buffalo.

A job in Houston, near where he grew up and has spent a considerable amount of time, would be the ideal fit for him. There is no job in football that Phillips would want more. And now that Reeves is in Houston, Phillips will have a staunch supporter in what was his long-shot attempt to land the job he covets.

heres the link http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9098421

I personally love the idea of having Bum Junior here in houston and it would get the Ticket sales back up as well

if anyone already posted this I apologize for the repeat

2. slyfox68

slyfox68 Veteran

Ditto here. Maybe that Son of a Bum can finish what his Paw started and kick that son of a gun door in for a Houston Pro Football team!:redtowel:

3. bigcarlos

bigcarlos Veteran

I would hope he does become our coach:yahoo:

4. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

You guys are letting nostalgia cloud your judgement. Would you still be thinking of him if his lastname wasn't Phillips?

He was not a very good HC in Buffalo, what makes you think he would do well here?

5. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

agreed, I want him in to way to be our HC. MAYBE as a DC, but only because he is familiar with the 3-4. He has not been very sucessful with it though.

6. CyberTexan

CyberTexan Veteran

well as far as his head coaching in Buffalo in 1998 he went 10 and 6 , in 99 he went 11 and 5 , and in 2000 he went 8 and 8 so nobody said he was the total answer but nobody will try harder than he will sense he will have even more reason to kep this job being from the houston area .

7. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

im curious as to who tought our OLBs to read and react instead of just rush the passer. it can create problems in some situations but im sure the possitives outweigh the negatives

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Did he do a bad job in Buffalo? He finished 10-6, 11-5, and 8-8 while starting Doug Flutie and then Rob Johnson at QB. He didn't have Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. Nor did he have even Travis Henry to carry the ball.

Personally I find it kind of odd that they fired him after an 8-8 season. The team didn't get over .500 for another 4 years after he left. I think they pulled the trigger too soon on Wade and (If I was Bob McNair) I'd be interested in at least talking to him even if his last name wasn't Phillips. He's been a head coach before and he's won more than he's lost. Plus he coaches a heck of a 3-4 defense (which we have been assembling the personnel to play since day one).

I'd definitely give him a fair shot at the job.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Now that is a dirty Avatar and should be respected. Wade Phillips name as HC should not be pondered without the effect of the late John Butler's influence upon that decade.

10. cap1

cap1 All Pro

I personally would like the Texans to bring in an Offensive minded coach. If Wade Phillips does happen to get the head coaching job who could become the OC?

11. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

ive said it a number of times.. but id like to see Al Saunders from KC.

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I'd be OK with Phillips, but no way he should be the favorite. Also, how are we gonna feel when ANOTHER Phillips gets fired. Eventually, these things tend to happen, I mean even if it's many years away.

13. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Well if Phillips works well for us... I think he will have a pretty cushy job. McNair has said that he wants stability. He wants us to be like the Steelers.. keeping the same coaching staff for years upon years upon years... if Phillips brings this team around and we do well... I think he can expect to be here for Cowher-like durations.

14. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Phillips should be able to finally get our 3-4 defense working.

15. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

...owner told Wade to fire a certain Coach-Wade refused and was 'toast'

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Well, granted you can say that what the owner says goes and I'd side with him if we were talking about Vic Fangio in a heartbeat. What I'm curious about is what kind of owner has an axe to grind with an assistant coach following a 29-19 run in three years? It's not like the team was losing or playing like the Houston Texans. That was three years of equal to or over .500 football.

17. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

here is what I worry about hiring Wade as HC. Who is gonna be the DC? We have seen what Wade can do with a defense... but then.. we have seen what Capers can do with a defense as well.. and look what Fangio did to ours.

I hope that Wade would bring in someone who knows as much about running HIS defense as he does.

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Wade is one of the guys I'd like to see come here. Heck, if you look at Bum Phillips (his dad) record it was only 23 - 19 his first three years coaching the Oilers. Bum went 10-4 then 5-9 and 8-6 before the team took off and battled the Steelers in back to back AFC Championships. Bum would have been fired by this message board when he went 5-9 and we would have never had the Luv ya blue era that was to follow.

I've posted this before but I will throw it down again...

http://www.chargers.com/team/coachbio_phillips.cfm

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Wade has shown an ability to lead a team, but his success was never out of the shadow of GM John Butler in Buffalo and San Diego.

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

That's that they said about Belichick to Parcells as they ran him out of Cleveland.