Anyone else ready to crown the Patriots already?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by MorKnolle, Jan 14, 2007.

1. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Going into the weekend I really thought the winner of the Patriots/Chargers game would be the eventual champ, and after this set of games I have to say I believe that as much as ever now. The Patriots easily have the most balanced team left, they have a ton of playoff experience, and they are playing very good defense right now. I'd love to see Peyton Manning finally win a Super Bowl and I despise the Patriots franchise, but Peyton is already struggling as of late anyways and he always has problems against 3-4 defenses, especially the Patriots. The Chiefs and Ravens both have a pretty badly one-sided offense that the Colts defense could concentrate on, but the Pats have shown the ability to win games all year long either passing the ball a bunch, running the ball a bunch, or a combination thereof. Here's a look at the offensive and defensive ranks of the remaining teams during the regular season:

Patriots - 11th total offense, 7th scoring offense, 6th total defense, 2nd scoring defense
    Colts - 3rd total offense, T-2nd scoring offense, 21st total defense, 23rd scoring defense
    Saints - 1st total offense, 5th scoring offense, 11th total defense, 13th scoring defense
    Bears - 15th total offense, T-2nd scoring offense, 5th total defense, 3rd scoring defense

I composed a thread back before the draft comparing the last 20 Super Bowl winners, and in the last 20 years the worst scoring defense to win the Super Bowl was ranked 8th during that season, and the average league rank among those winners was 3.6, so if you want to follow that pattern the Saints and Colts won't win the big game. Add in that the Patriots have plenty of experience winning in the playoffs in winning three of the last five Super Bowls whereas the Saints just won their 2nd playoff game ever, the first since the 2000 season, and the Bears just had their first playoff win since the 1994 season, and although the Colts have had very successful regular seasons this is just the 2nd time in Manning's career that they've made it to the AFC championship game, for that matter coming into this season Peyton was only 3-6 in the playoffs for his career.

As much as it pains me to say so, I think they Patriots are too complete of a team and are playing too well right now to be beat. The Colts have managed to win two playoff games despite Peyton Manning so far and I expect his struggles will continue and likely get worse next week, and the Patriots are too good of a team for the Colts to beat without Maning putting up a career day. I don't think either NFC teams can hang with them, but then again on any given Sunday anything can happen, just not looking likely at this point.

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Brady , Bruschi , Vrable , and Seymour are some winning dudes when it counts . I think that they rub off on the new guys and continue to regenerate year after year .

3. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think the Colts are going to go to the Super Bowl this year.

4. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

Don't the colts play in the the dome this time around?

If so....don't count them out. Even Then i think Manning will be game for this one.

5. GanadoUHCoog

GanadoUHCoog Rookie

I'm rooting for Colts vs. Saints

6. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I was waiting for that.

:)

Vinny likes this.
  7. Rex King

Rex King Veteran

I like Brady. I'm just steadying myself for a week of ESPN riding his and Belicheck's jock for the next week, though. I might end up putting my foot through the TV.

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I'm rooting for the Colts. Don't tell anyone I said that.

9. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I'm really pulling for Manning to get 'over the hump' and cure his post-season ills.

I'm also waiting for the refs to start calling the Pats for Illegal contact, interference, unsportsmanlike conduct, late hits, etc. like every OTHER team in the league. It's no longer funny to me when the announcers are reviewing a play where there was CONSTANT contact on the receiver the whole play and they don't bother to mention it...just because it's the Pats.

10. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I thought the Chargers gave that game away, so I'm not as confident in the Pats. Defensively, the Colts have exploded in the play-offs. Since the game is not being played on a frozen tundra, the Colts have a very real shot at winning this one and going to their first superbowl.

In the NFC, the Bears are struggling on defense. For a while there, it looked like the Hawks would beat them. The Saints are looking very solid to me.

I'm seeing it Saints - Colts.

11. real

real Guest

Didn't they lose to the Steelers at home last year ?

12. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

The Colts are playing better D lately.

13. OrangeCountyTexansFan

OrangeCountyTexansFan Veteran

AMEN!

14. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I think the Pats will win, so yes...I'm ready to crown them...

But I have a feeling Viniateri is gonna get some sweet revenge, too. :shades:

15. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I've been waiting years to see those calls against the Pats, I've given up on hoping that it will actually happen. Just one more reason why I think the Pats are going to win now.

I agree, I think the Chargers did give the game away but I think they were the superior team by a decent margin. I think the Bears are the only team with a good enough defense to stop the Patriots but I don't trust Rex Grossman to have two more good enough games to win the Super Bowl. The Colts defense certainly has played better in the playoffs, but the Chiefs offense was only ranked 16th in yards and 15th in scoring and the Ravens offense was only ranked 17th in yards and tied for 12th in scoring, so the Colts didn't shut down elite offenses. The Patriots are a much more balanced offense than either the Chiefs or Ravens and are more talented overall, so I don't think the Colts defense will have as much success. The Colts offense has struggled during the playoffs, and they always have problems figuring out the Patriots defense. If I was a betting man my money would definitely be on the Patriots.

That would be a fitting end to the game, as much as I hate to say it I'd like to see Manning win a Super Bowl, would much rather see that than see Tom Brady win his 4th.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I go along with the crowd that says the Chargers lost it more than
    the Pats won it. Neveretheless, the Pats almost always end up on top so
    they must be doing something right.
    Sunday "IN" Indy for the AFC championship should be entertaining. We'll see.

17. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

I picked the Ravens and Bears in the Super Bowl so what the hell do I know? :)

18. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

i don't know about everyone else, but i am. SD blew numerous opportunities to break that game wide open & they failed. given the history of Brady vs. Manning, I'd be really surprised if the Colts win. I want to see Manning win one cause i hate to see guys that good get robbed of that joy.....................unless he's facing the texans

19. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

I do not support premature crowning!

:aikido:

20. GoPats

GoPats Veteran

Isn't this kind of an inherent contradiction? If Vinatieri gets his revenge, his team won't lose. I'm confused.