Anyone else getting sick of teams going up and down ...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hookem Horns, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

... and the Texans just stuck in neutral season after season after season temporada tras temporada tras temporada, etc etc?? This is obviously due to our complacent owner and his "stay the course, let's not make waves" mentality. Wasn't he saying at the end of last season that bringing in a new coach would mean "starting over again" and would further delay winning??

Let's see .. San Francisco 49ers anyone? I remember an aweful Niners club coming to Reliant a couple of seasons ago with Singletary at the helm. So did firing him and bringing in a new guy delay winning? HELL no, it obviously delayed losing.

Lions anyone?? 0-16 to 5-1 in how many seasons?? Yet the Texans are still hovering around .500 year after year after year tras año tras año.

It's like freakin' forever GROUNDHOG DAY around here!

[​IMG]

2. TheDream34

TheDream34 Veteran

The worst part about it is that Kubiak could keep his job going 8-8 because that will probably win the division. And winning the division will probably make McNair keep Kubiak for another 2 to 3 years. :toropalm:

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Let's wait a few more weeks before we decide who's in neutral and who's running away.

It's still too early to jump to the conclusion you have.

4. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

TBO i would rather have season full of

7-9 8-8 9-7

then be Just bad all the time

5. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

At least if you are occasionally bad you get high high draft picks.

6. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Lions and Bills (along with the Texans) are the only teams not to make playoffs since the Texans have existed.

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

That could very well be changing this year for the Lions and the Bills. I wonder about the Texans though.

8. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

To Kubiak's credit...we didn't go .500 last year...so we do have some downs...

steelbtexan and Kaiser Toro like this.

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

:lol:

You're on a roll this morning Stan. To bad I can't rep you twice.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The 49ers last appearance was 2002. Those three teams are the teams I've been using to gauge the Texans. Those are the only three that have similar histories imo. When you haven't been winning as long as those teams have been, it's difficult to turn things around.

Because it isn't just what is happening on the field, or what's happening on the sideline. The cancer goes deeper than that... all the way to ownership.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Got him

Vey funny stuff, sad but funny.

12. Blake

Blake MMQB

I dont think backing into the playoffs and a round 1 exit will get Kubiak another year. McNair expects to have a competitive team this year and an 8-8 division win + round 1 loss = time for a change.

To be honest I expect the Texans to rip off 5 straight right here and have a strangle hold on the division. 10-11 wins depending on if we can sweep the Titans.

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

This is what drove me into the whole draft process. For one, the year the Texans expansion franchise began the talent pool was pitiful so virtually all those picks were wasted not to mention their supplemental portion. Then they hired the wrong people putting them in charge of building the programs. Best change came after new regime with a solid 2006 draft from a very deep pool of talent. Then they cycled downward with too many coaching & internal changes, followed with confusion over evaluating talent. Enter Wade Phillips & he seemed to bring continuity, perspective & much better overall draft focused on defense. Then major injury's to Andre, Mario, knicks to Foster, Schaub & a revolving door in secondary has spelled doom once again. Now it seems Texans lack overall chemistry/motivation a sense another season is slipping by them (same as the fans) & other teams sense this too. So they seize opportunity, make key plays that swing momentum, keeping Texans down.

14. BigWig

BigWig Bigimus Wigimus

Vinny likes this.
  15. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

What happens if we go 8-8 or 9-7 and win a couple in the playoffs and lose in AFC champ game?

Does Kubiak stay?

His regular season sucked and we back into playoffs due to outside circumstances but go deep into the playoffs. What to do, what to do???

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

He sounds a little doom & gloom to me.
    This statement in particular is way off. Even if we lose, we don't need any help from anyone, not yet. We have a rematch with the Titans, we win that one & a loss here is nullified.

The Titans have already lost to Jacksonville. If we split with the Titans, sweep Jacksonville & the Colts, we win the tie breaker.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Before the Rams became the greatest show on turf, there was a season back in like 1994 or 1995 where they started out 5-0 and then went on to be 5-11. I don't know if this happens to either of the teams you used as examples but things like this happen.

18. Blake

Blake MMQB

I take it you are not a fan of being in the AFC Championship game?

If Kubiak can win 2 playoff games and lose to the other best team in the AFC, would you really want to get rid of him? That is similar to the Chargers firing Marty when he went 14-2.

19. silentassassin

silentassassin Veteran

On your first point, who knows if he still feels that way? I'm sure the injuries and setbacks they've suffered this season might have tempered his expectations a little.

For your second point, I'm with you there. They're certainly capable of reeling off those wins, but the issue is trust. I can't trust them to do that as a fan until they actually go out and do it. They don't get the benefit of the doubt—even with an easy schedule—like other teams would.

:koolaid:

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

Kubiak is expected to get the job done. If he cant win just because he has an injured star for a few weeks then he is in the wrong profession. Good coaches get the job done regardless.

thunderkyss likes this.