Anyone else concerned about Offense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by The Medic01, Dec 19, 2011.

1. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

We are only averaging 17.5 ppg with Yates which isn't great. If our running game doesn't get going in all the playoff games we're in trouble. what do you think can running game and defense get us far in the playoffs?

2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I've been concerned about our offense from the moment Schaub was listed as being gone for the season. Anyone who wasn't, was completely fooling themselves.

3. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Yes. It's very concerning. We haven't scored over 20 points in the last 4 games. That's worrisome. The Jaguars game I can understand since Leinart going down was completely unexpected. But the last 3 just make me nervous. Especially yesterday's game. We were able to drive the ball well enough to score, but since Schaub went down we've been settling for FG's way too much. If we don't score over 20 against the Colts and Titans, then we could be in big trouble.

4. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

not much to fear as a defense with nothing on the outside and a 3rd string qb making decisions. hopefully dre will come back ready to rock n roll

5. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

^^^^
    THIS!
    In spades.

6. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

I am not concerned about Atlanta. We over achieved. Bengals, we came out flat and came back to win. We are the better team.

Coming out flat and playing from multiple scores from behind is starting to concern me. Bengals and Carolina. And our recent inability to put up big points is concerning.

Now the Falcons and Bengals are better than the teams we had been playing - tampa, the browns, and others are considerable drop offs compared to the Falcons and Bengals.

But we played like crap yesterday. Team was flat. We were playing from multiple scores behind so our game plan was jacked up. All the players had some suckage yesterday. Foster fumbled, yates interceptions, offenseive line penalties, defense got embarrassed, Rackers missed fg, etc. That's a game we should have won. Turnovers are changing the pace of the game. We are beginning to show our key players that are out are being missed. But that doesn't mean we should limit our expectations. We can still win and win big.

The next two games we need to win by a few scores. We need TDs. We need to show our offense is explosive against indy and Tennessee and win with conviction. They are still the same teams we blew out. I want to see us score mid twenties to thirty points. If that doesn't happen, I will get majorly concerned about losing our first game in the playoffs. Wildcard or the bye. Right now it is more of a minor concern when I put things in perspective.

7. Kthx

Kthx All Pro

I have been concerned about our offense even when Schaub was in. Our lack of a #2 WR is really killing us I think.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I'm concerned... I'm concerned with all those people that were ready to discard Schaub because TJ was the second coming of Brady....

That said, TJ "can" run this offense, but not nearly at the level that Schaub can. To say otherwise is ludicrous.

9. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Showing vanilla O the next two games.

Kubes is putting in a special O for TJ, making use of his 'better than Schaub' athletic abilities .

Gonna suprise everyone in the playoffs with previously unseen offensive plays.

Championship!:trophy:

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

:coffee:

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I knew there would be a time when the defense would struggle & our offense was going to have to step up & win the game.

Watching Matt Schaub this year did not instill a lot of confidence that they would be able to.

The defense looked suspect vs Cincinnati & I was quite impressed to see Tj & them boys on Kirby get it done & come home with a win. Against a quality opponent.

They couldn't get it done in back to back games.

We all knew this, this is no surprise. But I think we all, (secretly, or deep down) want this team to have the #1 seed & are disappointed that it won't happen.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yates has to win against Tennessee by a score of at least 41-7. :jk:

thunderkyss likes this.
  12. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

If you're down to your 3rd string rookie QB, of course you have to be concerned. Those thinking we wouldn't miss a beat is a bit too optimistic.

Once Schaub went down, we all of a sudden became a defensive team. We need our defense to win games. The offense needs to simply score about 14-17 points, eat up a lot of clock, and DON'T turn the ball over! Then let the defense do its thing. We almost lost the Bengals game because of turnovers, and we did lose the Panthers game because of turnovers.

13. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Hopefully TJ can grow over the next two games and we can lean on the run game in the playoffs, with solid D play it's possible. But I think we go over 20 vs. indy and get back on track.

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

TJ has to do better than 41-7. Schaub did it on the road, TJ will be at home. :winky:

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I believe when Schaub was put on IR, many of us recalled the current win streak we were on had more to do with the run game & the defense. None of that was going to change, so we thought.

We felt Leinart was going to turn the keys on to this Maserati & enjoy the ride. When he went down, we were looking at the same situation. We (or at least I) didn't think we would have to lean on the young'n to win a game for us.

That plan was canned when the defense slept through the first half of the Cincinnati game & the kid came through.

Carolina was thought to be the toughest offense we would face before the post-season & they did not disappoint. We got through the game healthy, but without the win. So what.

We got to see what would happen if we had to lean on Tj.... most of us didn't like what we saw. I thought it was a mixed bag.

I still think Kubiak is an offensive guru & will come up with a game plan over the next 6 weeks that will give us a chance to win every game.

no pressure.

:trophy:

Oh yeah, I forgot. Tj was supposed to have Aj to help him out.

16. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Thanks for this post. MSR, but very well thought out and explained. I have been really concerned with the last two wins, and when I expressed that some of the newer members have been very offensive about their opposing point of view. Its nice to see some of the veteran members keep their cool about their opinions, it helps to keep people on the opposite side in perspective of everything not being so bad, since I don't have to worry about defending my 'fanhood' because I have a different opinion. Thanks.

thunderkyss likes this.
  17. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I've been concerned the second I heard Schaub was done.

18. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Don't forget us veteran members that still don't know what we're talkin' about. :rake:

19. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

This!

20. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I think Yates did well for a rookie who hadn't seen much action.

The only major mistake was his first INT (but it was also a good undeneath zone D by the LB getting proper depth - unlike what we often saw with our LBs under Richard Smith.)

His second INT, I think JJones needed to come back to the ball (also, it was another good defensive call by their D, switching from a 3 deep/ 4 under to 3 deep/ 5 under).

We dropped 3 balls (OD, JJones, BJohnson).
    On another pass, BJohnson also needed to come back for the ball (it was more than enough for a first down, and there was a safety deep).
    Tate's 10-yd catch was nullified by a penalty.
    Walter went out of bound on a catch (Yates likely didn't see it???)
    OD almost caught a ball that was slightly whort due to pressure.
    The pass to Dreessen in the left corner was just high (but it was good location - the action was quick, not sure if Yates had time to locate JJoned underneath... maybe he did, but wanted to go for theTD anyway.)

I feel pretty confident that with time, the game will slow down a little more for Yates.

I think he can get the job done.
    He just needs to continue to practice and improve everything little by little.
    I believe he's ahead of the curve, JMHO!