Anyone Care to Re-visit the Babin-for-Boulware Trade?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tulip, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Thinking of Morency/Gado got me thinking about Rick's Smith's latest player-for-player trade.

How's that working out for us?

I understand that the Texans were short-handed at safety. And they were a little stacked at the tweener DE/OLB position.

However, and I believe this held true for the Morency/Gado trade as well - that you aren't going to get more help out of a guy who wasn't in training camp with you. So why trade the guy who was? I think this has been especially noticeable with Boulware, who has rarely showed his face outside of special teams.

However, I concede that it's quite possible that Babin could have spent a great number of game days inactive, a la Shantee Orr. So he could have just been wasting a roster spot.

Thoughts? My TV is on the fritz and my new one is too heavy for me to take out of the box, so I need some entertainment this evening.

2. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

I believe the trade was a wash and I don't think babin has done much in Seattle... so, meh.

But for what it's worth, I think Babin would have produced more here than boulware has.

3. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I dont think Babin has played for the Hawks yet

4. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

So if Babin hasn't contributed for the Seahawks and Boulware hasn't contributed for the Texans, it seems like it was a negative trade for both teams.

5. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Except for the fact that Boulware has contributed to the Texans.

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

7. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

I assume you are referring to special teams play. He did cause a fumble early on on a kick return I believe. It also seems that when good things happen on ST, he's usually right there. So, yeah, I would agree Boulware has contributed. (except against the Colts)

8. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Boulware also blocked an XP or a FG I think.

9. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

So at this point last year, Babin's stats for the Texans were better than they are this year for the Seahawks and Boulware's were better for the Seahawks than they are this year for the Texans.

I'm thinking that training camp is a good thing.

10. adam

adam Guero

Babin hasn't produced a whole lot in Seattle. With that said, watching Dallas Clark abuse Boulware just about sums it up for me. I would have kept Babin.

11. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Tulip just wondering what the point of all of this is. The Guy wasn't kevin Green, was never going to be Kevin Green and we don't run the 3-4 anymore. The guy had hit his ceiling. What we spent to get him, that there thingy was a bust. The sooner he was out the door the sooner the team could lick it's wounds. the fact that we got anything at all for him was a positive for me.

12. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

we lost so far.. anyone who says 'oh neither has produced so its a draw' is kidding themselves.. babin would be contributing alot more to us than boulware is

13. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

How would Babin have contributed?

He was likely to see the field about as much as Shantee Orr has, and that hasn't been enough to do much. He isn't seeing the field in Seattle, a team who runs a system more suited to his playing style and a team that stil needs D-line help.

I'll just add Babin to the overrated former Texans list, he can keep Morency company on it.

14. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

because hes a much better de than orr so he
    1) would see the field more
    2) would be making more impact than orr

he isnt seeing the field in seattle because tapp is a very good pass rusher.. stay in denial if you want but we lost on both the babin and morency trades

15. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

So you think Babin would see the field more over Mario Williams, Anthony Weaver, ND Kalu, or Earl Cochran? Sorry as a 4-3 DE Babin would not beat out any of those four. Just like he cannot crack the line-up in Seattle.

As for the Morency trade, we traded a scrub for a another scrub. Green Bay has been so impressed with Morency's play that they the went and traded a draft pick, soemthing that is more valuable then Gado or Morency, for Ryan Grant. Yup, Morency must sure be lighting it up in Green Bay. Atleast we didn't give up a draft pick to get Gado.

16. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

the Texans lost on both draft picks, different regime, Kubiak/Smith are in still clean-up mode.

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Clark abuses lots of safeties, you shouldn't hold that against him.

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Babin was traded so that we could shore up a snake-bitten FS position. If you guys remember, Glenn Earl and Jason Simmons both hurt themselves (Season-ending too, if I remember right) in pre-season. We had too many DE's at the time, and I believe that Jason Babin was just the odd man out.

Boulware has contributed some, but did get badly burned by Dallas Clark. Jason Babin hasn't made it onto the field more than a handful of times. If that. He's just there to be insurance for Tapp going down. He was just a victim of a team needing to grab one position at the expense of another. If he had performed better in his time here, he probably wouldn't have had to worry about such a situation happening.

I see the trade as just a blip on the radar of this season, and I'm really just indifferent as the results haven't impacted anybody so far.

19. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Boulware, I believe, was more than an attempt to plug a hole this year. I think they like him and see him as someone who can beat out Glenn Earl at SS. Babin was gone after this year, regardless. So, I'd say the can't be graded yet.

20. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

hey i never said morency was great but hes a good bit better than gado.. you cant hold the fact that GB got a pretty good rb in addition to him as a reason the trade was good for us...

anyway its not really worth arguing cos it seems you have it in your head the texans can do no wrong and have to justify that despite the reality.. thats alright but we did lose on both trades- were they huge franchise- changing loses? no but it still would be nice if we hadn't made them...

we've done ok on most of the big decisions so far, namely

mario V vince V reggie
    schaub
    amobi