Anyone, about Fred Weary...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Scribe, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Scribe

Scribe Rookie

I know he's gotten a chance to start the last few games. Does anyone know how he's performed in that time? I expected him to be more of a contributor out of college and was curious as to why he wasn't seeing more action earlier. Is it lack of strength, technique, quickness/mobility, something else?

Then again, I don't get to see the team much since I live in Ohio and don't have NFL Sunday Ticket. So, it's hard to be in position to evaluate players that well.

2. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

IMO, Weary has performed well enough as a run blocker, but like most of the Texans' OLmen does not move his feet well enough in pass protection.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I agree with AT and I think he would have more value if we played him at Center....but who knows what our coaches are thinking...if they are thinking at all.

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Memory fails but didn't Weary play center in college? I'm not sure where that's coming from but it seems to me like I remember hearing that somewhere.

5. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

From his Texans Bio page...
    COLLEGE: Recruited as guard, then moved to defensive tackle as a redshirt freshman, only to move back to guard the following yearÂ…played center as a junior and guard again as a senior

6. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:twocents: Weary was the highest rated center in 2002 .

7. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Well, it's obviouse why we don't use him there.:cool:

8. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Weary is a serviceable backup but if we want to be a decent team I don't think we should make any plans about starting him anywhere on the OL.

9. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

That's our problem. I think we have an entire squad of serviceable backups and no starters. Throw Milford Brown in there too.

10. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Ive seen him miss blocks on both ends and mis read the blitz. One play Carr got the snap and as soon as he brought his arm back he got plowed (granted it was all Carss fault of course :/ ) but Weary held his hands up in a helpless motion and that scared me. Guy was inactive all year and all of a sudden Casserly is saying he will help us win?

11. touttail

touttail All Pro

Bobby 119C:brickwall

12. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Agreed, Milford Brown, Fred Weary, and Seth Wand all are serviceable backups but not starting-quality OLinemen, not to mention Victor Riley who was our LT for the first part of the year. I'd even put Todd Wade in that group, although we made him one of the top 2-3 highest paid RTs in the NFL despite him never making a Pro Bowl and being quite slow for an OT. I hope we bring in enough OL talent from the draft and free agency that we can bench Wade and the rest of them, even with his $30 million contract. I think Pitts, Wiegert, and maybe Hodgdon (a big maybe) are the only OL we have that are starting quality, and Wiegert is getting old and probably only has one good year left, which coincidentally is also all he has left on his contract so we need to also look for his eventual replacement in addition to bringing in 2-3 starters for next year, and we definitely need a better OL coach.