Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Anybody Worried Our Good Talent We Do Have May Leave?

TexansR#1

Practice Squad
Do yall think the talent we do have will ask for a trade becuase they dont want to be on a losing team anymore?

TexansR#1 said:
Do yall think the talent we do have will ask for a trade becuase they dont want to be on a losing team anymore?

No because in the NFL it is so hard to trade a high profile players due to the salary cap and besides this year this team was going in the right direction.

If the higher ups on the organization stay with what they said 4 years ago about the 4 - 5 year plan then Capers will be fired and will have new coachs next year and a new start.

They said it was a 5 year plan. Not a 4 year plan. Not a 4-5 year plan. They said it was a 5 year plan from the very beginning.

And I hate to bring absolutely shocking unbearably bad news to the "Fire Capers" club, but . . . (make sure you're sitting down now, OK?) . . .

. . . next year is year 5.:thud: :shocked

Marcus said:
They said it was a 5 year plan. Not a 4 year plan. Not a 4-5 year plan. They said it was a 5 year plan from the very beginning.

And I hate to bring absolutely shocking unbearably bad news to the "Fire Capers" club, but . . . (make sure you're sitting down now, OK?) . . .

haha, spilled my coffee again, damn you! :)

But wait! As was previously stated somewhere on this board - year 1 was the year pre-play when Capers was coach, but just getting ready or whatever he was doing - doesn't that count? It works for me!

Capers is gone. I am not part of the fire Capers or Casserly club, but due to the product put out on the field they will be let go. Casserly might be able to save his job, but not likely. I would not be suprised if Capers and his staff are gone and Casserly hangs on for two more years.

The only high profile trade that I can think of right now will be T.O. getting shipped to some desperate team. Maybe us.

The trading period is over and we won't pursue TO in any case. Bob McNair has already stated he doesn't want Men with poor character.

Vinny dont get me wrong I dont want him, but as said by Jaws on ESPN. He will land with a desperate team, it just so happens that we are one of the deperate teams this year. Everyone knows the trading period ends Week 6 big man.

T.O. can't be traded until the offseason. They could release him but it looks like Philadelphia is going to pay him not to suit up after his 4 game suspension. Just like K. Johnson was treated with Tampa. If for some reason they do release him I am guessing he would get picked up by Green Bay or Miami. I hope the Texans wouldn't even consider him.

I'm more worried that we have good talent sitting on the bench. Would anyone like to have Marlon McCree back right now? He only beat Thomas Davis out and is easily playing better than Coleman or Brown.

Marcus said:

When you take a quantum leap backwards, timelines tend to lose years.

wags said:
I'm more worried that we have good talent sitting on the bench. Would anyone like to have Marlon McCree back right now? He only beat Thomas Davis out and is easily playing better than Coleman or Brown.

I never understood letting McCree go. He made some mistakes, but he played with fire--something sorely lacking at the FS position for the Texans.

Who cares the good talent we have right now arent good enough anyways, the only good talent that i can see on this team are Dunta Robinson, and Andre Johnson, the defensive line has shown some life over the last 2 games, besides that the team stinks, The line backing core needs to be replaced, the secondary (with the exception of Robinson) needs to be over hauled, there safetys can't tackle, there offensive line---well we all know the problem there, so ya that sums it up....

I do not think we all 22 starters could start on half of the other NFL teams. However, I do think we are beginning to see some serviceable back ups or package type guys which will translate into solid depth next year.

With a speculative change in the staff/front office it wil be interesting to see what type of free agency drag we will see from the new regime.

TexansR#1 said:

It will be interesting to see if the few talented players we have stick around during their free agency period if the team doesn't make any changes or begins to improve. Doesn't matter if it's year 4, 5 or 10...

infantrycak said:
I never understood letting McCree go. He made some mistakes, but he played with fire--something sorely lacking at the FS position for the Texans.
Just another in a long line of players we had under our nose and didn't evaluate well.

Marcus said:

. . . next year is year 5

Who, exactly, is "they"? idonno:

I've asked Jeeves, searched on Google, and read countless stories from media types that perpetuate this mythical "5 year plan".

But, finding the words "5 year plan" from the mouths of Capers or Casserly has been elusive, at best.

See, year 5 doesn't magically just *happen*. Years 1-4 have a direct influence on what happens in year 5. Players, attitudes, personel decisions, salary cap management, etc., all effect the potential of the next year. I'm sure you already know these things.

Football teams do not operate in a vacuum. So I ask, what do you see on this 1-7 team - the Team That Dom Built - that directly leads to a WINNING season next year?

8-8 next year is NOT good enough to fulfill the 5 year plan destiny! We were almost a .500 team last year! :hmmm:

No magic dust, no voodoo rituals, no amount of positive fan karma....I'm asking what will it take for the rest of this season into next, to go from 1-7 to 9-7 (or better) next year? :confused:

TexansR#1 said:

The only players I would be really concerned with as far as wanting to leave are AJ, DRob, and maybe DD. But if a player wants to jump ship because of a couple of bad seasons instead of wanting to stay and build on the talented youth we DO have, I'm not sure if I would want them around anyway. I can understand with being frustrated with the last couple of seasons, but I am not too fond of just giving up.

that's why i respect players like , LT who no matter what he team goes thru you never hear anything about he wanting to be traded or anything like that.. That's a REAL gladiator right there..

Buffi2 said:
But wait! As was previously stated somewhere on this board - year 1 was the year pre-play when Capers was coach, but just getting ready or whatever he was doing - doesn't that count? It works for me!

To the OP - Good question - Alot of players may wash out after this year and a change in staff. We have a handful of Marquee guys and some undervalued talent that needs experience, but alot of people on this team would be backups on other teams. Obviously the staff has "under" graded some talent too and weve certainly lacked without them, but I look for a LOT of changes in this team and staff during the 2006 Off-season - Much like I stated in this years Off-season when the changes needed to be made were not addressed by this current staff.

My keepers are:

On Offense: Carr, Johnson, Davis, Hodgedon, Pitts, Morency, Mathis, Gaffney, Armstrong, Wells, Bruener, Ragone, Norris
On Defense are : Drob, CCBrown, Wong, Payne, TJ, FAggins,
ST: Kris Brown, Stanley

Unfortunately I know we have contract money out to a host of other players on this team, but these are the guys I would move forward with and a new staff. Will be interesting to se how close we are when the time comes and they start the off-season just how many guys are still around next year and then the following year esp with no CBA in place currently in the NFL between players and owners for the future.

Dunno why I have to keep explaining this to folks - All of this info is listed in the "Texans Timeline" on the main webpage. It is the 5th year of the franchise allready people. Casserly is going into year 6 of this "Texans" organization. This is year 5 for the Coaching staff already. Not sure of the TOA but I can bet Dom's contract should expire in Jan if its a 5 year plan.

Seasons :
2000-2001 - Hiring Cass and organizing the team
2001-2002 - Hired Capers, Palmer, Fangio and rest of staff - Scouts players - November 5th - first player workouts
2002-2003 - First team season
2003-2004 - Second Team Season
2004-2005 - Third Team Season
2005-2006 - 4th Team Season

And all of this well the first year doesnt count biz I think is bull - When you look at a contract it usually states from X day to X day. 5 years ends in January for Dom and the gang by my clock. :goodnight

No Babin or Peek? I'd keep 'em too; imagine them + good coaching.

I can't see any of our "talent" leaving, although I wish there was a way we could get rid of some players without taking a cap hit :(

Jerry said:
No Babin or Peek? I'd keep 'em too; imagine them + good coaching.

I can't see any of our "talent" leaving, although I wish there was a way we could get rid of some players without taking a cap hit :(

Actually neither player has impressed me much. Both have conditioning issues and neither plays smart football very well. Peek has on and off games - many mroe off than on. As talents I think we over-paid for both of them and I never would have traded up for Babin. He's a tweener who has produced very little other than tattoos. Both players are second string right now for a reason and I would bring in alot of competition at LB to compete and see just how much they want a job. Because honestly right now - Ive seen both plaeyrs Mouths move alot more than their bodies have on game day.

U4ikrob said:
To the OP - Good question - Alot of players may wash out after this year and a change in staff. We have a handful of Marquee guys and some undervalued talent that needs experience, but alot of people on this team would be backups on other teams. Obviously the staff has "under" graded some talent too and weve certainly lacked without them, but I look for a LOT of changes in this team and staff during the 2006 Off-season - Much like I stated in this years Off-season when the changes needed to be made were not addressed by this current staff.

My keepers are:

On Offense: Carr, Johnson, Davis, Hodgedon, Pitts, Morency, Mathis, Gaffney, Armstrong, Wells, Bruener, Ragone, Norris

Perhaps Robbaire Smith? no way you keep faggins without keeping p-buch. alos think that wong, peek (if used correctly) and babin are worth keeping. I think we got ripped off on the greenwood deal, but he is here for a while. We definatley need a new FS and more importantly, some man coverage and maybe a blitz or two!!!

U4ikrob said:

My keepers are:

Unfortunately I know we have contract money out to a host of other players on this team, but these are the guys I would move forward with and a new staff. Will be interesting to se how close we are when the time comes and they start the off-season just how many guys are still around next year and then the following year esp with no CBA in place currently in the NFL between players and owners for the future.

Dunno why I have to keep explaining this to folks - All of this info is listed in the "Texans Timeline" on the main webpage. It is the 5th year of the franchise allready people. Casserly is going into year 6 of this "Texans" organization. This is year 5 for the Coaching staff already. Not sure of the TOA but I can bet Dom's contract should expire in Jan if its a 5 year plan.

Seasons :
2000-2001 - Hiring Cass and organizing the team
2001-2002 - Hired Capers, Palmer, Fangio and rest of staff - Scouts players - November 5th - first player workouts
2002-2003 - First team season
2003-2004 - Second Team Season
2004-2005 - Third Team Season
2005-2006 - 4th Team Season

And all of this well the first year doesnt count biz I think is bull - When you look at a contract it usually states from X day to X day. 5 years ends in January for Dom and the gang by my clock. :goodnight

dont really think the first two count as seasons, but whatever...

run-david-run said:
dont really think the first two count as seasons, but whatever...

I understand your point - Since i'm not Dom and dont have his contract to get details from I'll speculate that if Dom's contract is for 5 years that ends in January.

What I cant understand is how you can ignore player scouting and training in Doms first year [2001] as not counting as being employed as coach of the team. I know he was "Hired" and paid as the coach and if i'm signing a guy to a contract that first year definitely would have been part of the contract deal - Palyers or no players - hes still an employee and Coach of the Texans. Granted he didnt have alot of players to coach or work with, but he had to scout talent, and held camps in Nov and December. Will be interesting to see what kind of deal he actually did sign and if at the end of this season there is a contract buyout or if he is "Let go". My hunch is the latter.

As for Robaire Smith - I didnt include him because I would like to see him produce more on the D-line. He can stop a run, but has little upfield push asa d-line guy and think we could bring in FA and other talent to compete at all positions at this point and would like to see all players whom havent shown up this year or stand out to have to compete in camp for a job.

U4ikrob said:
Actually neither player has impressed me much. Both have conditioning issues and neither plays smart football very well. Peek has on and off games - many mroe off than on. As talents I think we over-paid for both of them and I never would have traded up for Babin. He's a tweener who has produced very little other than tattoos. Both players are second string right now for a reason and I would bring in alot of competition at LB to compete and see just how much they want a job. Because honestly right now - Ive seen both plaeyrs Mouths move alot more than their bodies have on game day.

Overpaid for Peek? He was a 3rd round draft pick and projected as a 3rd round draft pick. How did they pay too much for him? By the way, he has started every game this year so what's up with 2nd string?

infantrycak said:
Overpaid for Peek? He was a 3rd round draft pick and projected as a 3rd round draft pick. How did they pay too much for him? By the way, he has started every game this year so what's up with 2nd string?

Ahh good catch I was thinking of Babin when I wrote that - not Peek - lol my bad. Peek had other "Off-field" problems that made me want to look at others is why I was commenting.

Coach C. said:
Vinny dont get me wrong I dont want him, but as said by Jaws on ESPN. He will land with a desperate team, it just so happens that we are one of the deperate teams this year. Everyone knows the trading period ends Week 6 big man.

we passed desperate about 2 losses ago. we are now finished for this year. to could only help ruin next years draft. then by next year he would be board and start causing trouble.

Not to defend Peek but this last game he really didn't get a lot of chance to gain sacks because of our soft zone defense. We really didn't blitz all the much, if at all.

U4ikrob said:
Ahh good catch I was thinking of Babin when I wrote that - not Peek - lol my bad. Peek had other "Off-field" problems that made me want to look at others is why I was commenting.

Off field problems? If you consider his lawyers screwing up his child support payments and him already making up for the mistake of not watching his money more closely, then i guess you can call him a person with off field problems. If you watch the games he is very close to multiple sacks but the zone secondary is so bad he has maybe 2 secs to get to the QB most plays so no one will make many plays with that time. When things get turned around with the Defensive scheme and they dump the 3-4 cover 2 debacle he will prove his worth.

TexansR#1 said:

Unless we become the laughing stock of the league season after season (Bengals), than there's nothing to worry about. Why? Because players still get a big fat paycheck at the end of the day. Do we see Chicago's really good linebacker (sorry forgot his name) gripe? Do we see Detroit's WRs gripe? I don't see players boycotting our team anytime soon. Despite our record, I think this organization is too 1st class for that.

U4ikrob said:
He's a tweener who has produced very little other than tattoos. Both players are second string right now for a reason and I would bring in alot of competition at LB to compete and see just how much they want a job. Because honestly right now - Ive seen both plaeyrs Mouths move alot more than their bodies have on game day.

Have you noticed the trend that all of our players with big Tattos have problems making plays? First Stevens now Babin....

BigBull17 said:
Have you noticed the trend that all of our players with big Tattos have problems making plays? First Stevens now Babin....

Works too if you replace tattoos with trucks and plays with.. uhm... :)

TexansR#1 said:

Even though it was a five year plan, McNair has stated that the teams needs to continue to progress. It is obvious this team is not progressing anymore so I believe a change will be in order next year.

I also believe our talent will stay as long as a change is made because it shows that the organization is committed to winning. If no change is made, I could see frustration levels reaching their limits and some players asking for a change of scenery.

I think you are starting to see the effect of our horrible coaching staff on the players. Most feel that Sharper and Glenn were run out of town by the Texans. I tend to feel that it was a mutual parting. Glenn was smart enough to realize that the five year plan here was not going to turn out very well. With a limited time in the NFL, I can see why he would want to get out of town. Most older players will prefer to get to a playoff team.

If the Texans, bring in a new and improved coaching staff, I feel that retaining players and getting free agents will happen. This organization is a top five revenue producing team (for now). So, we are not like the cash strapped Saints and Cardinals of the world. The other piece is to demonstrate a commitment to winning, which will hopefully happen when Capers and crew are shown the door sooner than later.

bigTEXan8 said:
I don't think anyone will seek a trade, but I do think someone will hold-out for more money because they want to get paid big money if they are going to play with a loser.

When was the last time that happened? More specifically when was the last time a non-probowl player with cruddy stats (as any Texan will be this year) held out in that fashion?

Back