Any way we can keep Wells?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by phan1, Jan 16, 2006.

1. phan1

phan1 All Pro

Well, if we do draft Bush (which is I think the most likely scenario right now IMO), I'd hate to see Wells leave. He's been really great for us and it would be nice to keep him. We could move him to fullback can't we?

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I like Wells, but I'd let him go before I'd give up Moran Norris.

3. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

We can drop Hollings. Wells is depth at both HB and FB..as well as a big special teams contributor.. if we can keep him, we will. Id say we would even keep him over Morency if we had to make the decision. Luckily we dont.

4. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Word.

5. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I like Wells, he does a great job backing up DD and is a really good special teams player.

6. Frills

Frills Veteran

If they weren't ignorant and extended DD last offseason, I'd keep Wells and cut DD.

Kinda odd how CC said that they waited on Carr's extension because there was no rush on it (on 610 around week 10-11), yet they had DD under contract and extended him.

Wells, Norris and Morency are the only backs we have that should be in the NFL.

7. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Unless Wells gets a very good offer from another team I think he'll be back. His work ethic and special teams play has gained the respect of teammates and even the old coaches. The new coaches should be able to see his contributions as well.

8. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

Wells is a very good player to me. He needs to be resigned if possible. Should cost much.

9. Frills

Frills Veteran

FYP

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I like players who show that they can get better. I like players who can develop other facets of the game to make themselves more valuable to the team. He counted 662k against the cap last year. I think a 10-15% raise is the right thing to do in the event we make it work from a cap perspective. Hollings will count 699k against the cap in 2006, this will be what Wells' team should be worried about. Norris in my opinion is going no where.

11. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Wells will be back and Kubiak will move him to fullback. Wells does not like this because he wants to make TB money. I believe the Texans will pay him low level TB money and move him to FB. Kubiak's offense utilizes the FB in the run and pass very well, once Wells gets acquainted with the offense I think he will like it because he will have more opportunities to contribute than he had last season.

12. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Agreed, I'd keep Davis, Wells, Morency, and Norris and drop Hollings.

13. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Wells is cheap right now and would be a cheap re-sign, assuming he is not pursued too much in the FA (since I believe he is going to be a FA this year).

We have a lot of RBs, but he is a hard worker and I wouldn't mind him coming back.

14. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think all the things we like about Wells will get him signed somewhere else. Last year his market wasn't good but considering all he does now, and how serviceable he's been he should catch on somewhere else.

15. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But you may consider changing your signature if that's the way you feel.

16. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

this is either the funniest sarcastic joke on the board, or the most ignorant one I have read this year. :stirpot:

Wells isn't good enough to hold DD's jock strap. DD was signed because he is well worth the money and as a 4th round pick was well underpaid for a starting RB. Wells lost the starting job and has been steadily sinking into the abyss of non-contributor since. I laugh at the 'Wells is a great special team player also'. Having watching him in person he is neither great nor even above average on special teams.

Wells is a FA now and you don't see many teams, including the Texans, rushing to sign him for a reason, IMHO. That would be because he is quite simply average to below average, depending on what position you put him at.

17. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

DD was a 4th round pick. I think Wells is a good back who does not have the shiftiness of DD. However, Wells is almost always health, whereas, DD will generally miss at least 4 games a year.

18. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

Look for Wells to be resigned to a 3-4 year deal worth about 2.5-3.5M all told. That is including signing bonuses. With this type of deal we can allocate so that his cap hit is not much more than what it is now and he will still be making more cash. He will sign it to stay here and no one will just open up the checkbook for him at RB.

19. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

You all know we are going to take Bush #1,so that means we will probably shop DD,expect Hollings to be cut or be put on practice Squad,and as far as Wells or Norris I think it will come down to who is the best blocker and who can pick up the BLITZ!!!What do ya"ll think of picking up TO for a 3rd RD pick,maybe he learned his lesson and can be a positive force.:spy:

20. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i don't know if wells would even want to re-sign with us...if we really are pursueing reggie bush like the papers say what reason is there for him to re-sign with us when teams like the packers, saints, cards, raiders, 49ers, steelers, and eagles will all be in the market for a strong power back with some decent speed