Any of you gonna admit to owing DW4 an apology?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jun 1, 2018.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If it only worked that way.

Most guys take a full yr to recover from an ACL injury. Both physically and mentally. Watson's recovery followed this timeline.

CnD can speak to this much better than I can.

BTW, I agree with you if you are saying BOB should play his starters more in the preseason.

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The talent wasn't there in FA last yr.

I wanted them to sign both Solder and Norwell. They chose to go the backup route for different reasons.

If the Pats let Brown go then Gaine should be talking to his agent immediately. Tampering be damned. Brown is from Texas and doesn't have a sick kid so there shouldn't be the same issues bringing Brown to Kirby that there was with Solder.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I did too and though they both had bad years, I'm sure they were probably better than Davenport/Kelemente

4. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ty-nsekhe/7636

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/chris-hubbard/8051

I mean, how hard is it to improve on Davenport?
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/julien-davenport/11885

5. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

6. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Kelemete was ranked 57th at Guard and Fulton 61st.

I'm sure there were better FAs.
    Norwell was one.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

True

I give Rankin the benefit of the doubt as he was a rookie coming off of foot surgery. I expect him to be alot better next yr.

You've pointed out what I expected before the season started, the backup FA signing plan was a failure. Hopefully Trent Brown is signed in FA and a couple of OL are drafted high. If this happens and Rankin comes around they can have a Colts type turnaround on the OL. Then we will get a chance to see Watson really grow as a QB.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  8. Fred

Fred Hall of Fame

Reading comprehension is your friend. My post directly addressed almost everything in your post except the part about your fear of heights. OK - DW4 is probably stronger than you physically, mentally, and definitely emotionally. And he has recovered from an ACL before.

I get my information from seeing hundreds of players return from injuries. Some come out like a house on fire from the first snap. Some are tentative all year. But about 3 games is typical, you don't need a degree in sports injuries to see that. And as it turns out, 3 games was about right for Watson. But it doesn't matter if it is exactly 3 games. He needed more reps, and BOB screwed the pooch.

As for the throwing him in the deep end - he played him full time once the regular season started. I guess you think that was wrong too. And no, I wouldn't complain if BOB tried to have the team prepared to play in the regular season, even if an unfortunate injury occurred. Even steelb agrees with that.

That BOB doesn't think it is his job to win games is a QUOTE from him! "Why didn't you call a timeout (to help your team win the Patriots game)?" "THAT'S NOT MY JOB." I wouldn't have believed it myself, but he said it. So if you have a problem with that, take it up with him not me.

I don't have any hate for BOB, just disappointment that he's not that good and that he shows no improvement 5 years in. The best games under him have been with QBs who don't know his system yet. Keenum came in and had a couple of good games early. Even Mallett had a good game, Weeden had a couple. Watson was very dynamic in 2017. I hoped BOB had learned how to use Watson's skill set. Nope He just hadn't coached him up yet. This year very few moving pockets or rollouts - lots of "drop straight back behind a bad OL and let the pass rush collapse in on your fixed position". He wants to turn Watson into Tom Savage.

Yeah, BOB probably knows thousands more details about football than we do. But he doesn't seem able to grasp the big picture as well as the average fan.

TheKDog likes this.
  9. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Yeah if you are going to go with personal insults then clearly you aren't worth talking too. And no I didn't bother to read anything past that.

steelbtexan likes this.
  10. Fred

Fred Hall of Fame

And... you just made my point.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Some people are very content living life as A-Holes.

It's a learned trait.

CWTexansFan and maverick512000 like this.
  12. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Wrong on so many accounts. For 1, Cant see how you can say BoB screwed the pooch considering that even had BoB played him more in the preseason, he likely isn't getting 3 full games worth of reps. Furthermore, Even if he did give him a full 3 games worth of reps, we all know that training camp to preseason is one speed & preseason to regular season is yet a higher speed.

2nd, your quote is just flat out wrong...He never said it wasn't his job to "win games"...that's your add on.

Also, The rules favor qbs when they're in the pocket. Rolling them outside the tackle box opens them up to all sorts of things where these new rules don't necessarily protect them. Furthermore, you cant base a whole damn passing offense around moving & rolling the pocket..not long term anyway. BoB could've used it a little more, but it was used close to about the clip it should've been used.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

As Cosell pointed out, you can't expected an OL to become consistent in protection when your QB is often leaving the pocket.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Not to mention the injuries & the shuffling. I could be wrong, but I think 4 games was our longest streak of starting the same 5 guys.

Mr teX, Texas Jake and JB like this.
  15. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Can't expect a QB to stay in the pocket when the OL can't block anyone. Cosell mentioned that as well

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

And that displays his bias. He likes pocket statues.

He's good but he has biases too.

Carr Bombed, Mr teX and ObsiWan like this.
  17. Fred

Fred Hall of Fame

Better than being a Dumb-A, which apparently is an unlearned trait.

18. Fred

Fred Hall of Fame

You can't expect the QB to stay in the pocket when the OL can't block. With an intentionally moving pocket the QB is not "leaving the pocket" so the OL has a better chance of becoming consistent.

19. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Cosell said the OL is terrible and one of the worst in the league (in a nicer way) and that Watson has a tendency to run out of the pocket. I think those are both true.

I think Watson's main issue though is sometimes his accuracy can be inconsistent.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Watson had the highest intermediate completion % in the league, his supposed inaccurate range. Everyone misses a few.

FuzzyLogic, CWTexansFan and JB like this.