Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Any of you gonna admit to owing DW4 an apology?

Reading comprehension is your friend. My post directly addressed almost everything in your post except the part about your fear of heights. OK - DW4 is probably stronger than you physically, mentally, and definitely emotionally. And he has recovered from an ACL before.

I get my information from seeing hundreds of players return from injuries. Some come out like a house on fire from the first snap. Some are tentative all year. But about 3 games is typical, you don't need a degree in sports injuries to see that. And as it turns out, 3 games was about right for Watson. But it doesn't matter if it is exactly 3 games. He needed more reps, and BOB screwed the pooch.

As for the throwing him in the deep end - he played him full time once the regular season started. I guess you think that was wrong too. And no, I wouldn't complain if BOB tried to have the team prepared to play in the regular season, even if an unfortunate injury occurred. Even steelb agrees with that.

That BOB doesn't think it is his job to win games is a QUOTE from him! "Why didn't you call a timeout (to help your team win the Patriots game)?" "THAT'S NOT MY JOB." I wouldn't have believed it myself, but he said it. So if you have a problem with that, take it up with him not me.

I don't have any hate for BOB, just disappointment that he's not that good and that he shows no improvement 5 years in. The best games under him have been with QBs who don't know his system yet. Keenum came in and had a couple of good games early. Even Mallett had a good game, Weeden had a couple. Watson was very dynamic in 2017. I hoped BOB had learned how to use Watson's skill set. Nope He just hadn't coached him up yet. This year very few moving pockets or rollouts - lots of "drop straight back behind a bad OL and let the pass rush collapse in on your fixed position". He wants to turn Watson into Tom Savage.

Yeah, BOB probably knows thousands more details about football than we do. But he doesn't seem able to grasp the big picture as well as the average fan.

Wrong on so many accounts. For 1, Cant see how you can say BoB screwed the pooch considering that even had BoB played him more in the preseason, he likely isn't getting 3 full games worth of reps. Furthermore, Even if he did give him a full 3 games worth of reps, we all know that training camp to preseason is one speed & preseason to regular season is yet a higher speed.

2nd, your quote is just flat out wrong...He never said it wasn't his job to "win games"...that's your add on.

Also, The rules favor qbs when they're in the pocket. Rolling them outside the tackle box opens them up to all sorts of things where these new rules don't necessarily protect them. Furthermore, you cant base a whole damn passing offense around moving & rolling the pocket..not long term anyway. BoB could've used it a little more, but it was used close to about the clip it should've been used.

Last edited:
As Cosell pointed out, you can't expected an OL to become consistent in protection when your QB is often leaving the pocket.
You can't expect the QB to stay in the pocket when the OL can't block. With an intentionally moving pocket the QB is not "leaving the pocket" so the OL has a better chance of becoming consistent.

Cosell said the OL is terrible and one of the worst in the league (in a nicer way) and that Watson has a tendency to run out of the pocket. I think those are both true.

I think Watson's main issue though is sometimes his accuracy can be inconsistent.

Watson had the highest intermediate completion % in the league, his supposed inaccurate range. Everyone misses a few.

Better than being a Dumb-A, which apparently is an unlearned trait.

There's the difference between us right here. I have empathy for people. You just seem to enjoy being an A-Hole.

Let's try our best and I know this will be difficult for you,

Get this thread back on track. What a dumbass thought.

Something like this, I dont owe Watson an apology.

I'm still not sure what the reason for an apology ever was. People had doubts, that's understandable considering how many "sure fire" QBs have been busts once they hit the NFL. Really understandable for the Texans since QB has been one of our most changed positions. Some wanted Mahomes or even Trubisky instead of him, again nothing to apologize for. Mahomes is another great QB and even Trubisky looks like he is starting to find his grove though maybe not as quick or smoothly as Watson and Mahomes. I think any of the three would have been good and I'm happy with which one we got.

And, JB said, Watson doesn't owe us one. He was brought in to be our franchise QB and we paid a heavy draft price for him. So far he seems to be doing exactly what he was brought in to do and the picks were well spent. He had a bad game against the colts, it happens, but its very telling that his bad game was rare enough to be note worthy. With our past QBs a good game was what was so rare we were talking about it.

Cosell said the OL is terrible and one of the worst in the league (in a nicer way) and that Watson has a tendency to run out of the pocket. I think those are both true.

I think Watson's main issue though is sometimes his accuracy can be inconsistent.

Which tends to happen when you're unsettled back there & can't/won't set your feet.

Hopefully the new QB coach can correct some of these issues
The best remedy is to just get better protection. But even as the protection improves, he's going to have to learn to trust the protection -- probably similar to learning to trust his knee. Yes, I would hope coaching will help w/ this as he watches film of himself bailing when stepping up or over would have been best. But the protection has to improve ASAP or he's going to develop tendencies that are going to be real difficult to fix and he won't develop into the qb he's capable of. I'm intentionally not saying that W's going to get ruined -- because I think we just saw what W's version of 'ruined' is behind last year's OL and it's pretty damn good. He just needs to get really comfortable in the pocket behind a good OL to take it to the next level.

Not to put any more blame on Watson, but I'd love to know how well he's making calls at the line. I know there are times where he just doesn't see a blitzer, but I mean the regular plays where it almost looks blocked.

The best remedy is to just get better protection. But even as the protection improves, he's going to have to learn to trust the protection -- probably similar to learning to trust his knee. Yes, I would hope coaching will help w/ this as he watches film of himself bailing when stepping up or over would have been best. But the protection has to improve ASAP or he's going to develop tendencies that are going to be real difficult to fix and he won't develop into the qb he's capable of. I'm intentionally not saying that W's going to get ruined -- because I think we just saw what W's version of 'ruined' is behind last year's OL and it's pretty damn good. He just needs to get really comfortable in the pocket behind a good OL to take it to the next level.

Exactly what I'm worried about other than injuries

Punch and counter punch.
We see it all the time.
A rookie QB comes unto the league, has a sensational rookie season, then regresses as teams have tape and work them out.
This 2019 season will be the real litmus test as to his ability as a QB.
If he really is going to be top tier in this league, then he will bounce back as he in turn figures out a way, in cohouts with his coach, to release the clamps opposing defenses put on him in his sophomore season.
I personally expect him to do so, and the coach will also have a hand in this as he works with Gaine in making ways through off season acquisitions to make it so.
Yes, he can work on getting rid of the ball faster but I definitely see FO improving his oline with two aims in mind - getting him more time in the pocket, but also to get him an outlet with a stronger running game.
A good line will figure strongly in these pursuits so I cannot see Texans neglecting this important aspect this offseason.
I wont be surprised to see a strong back brought in to compete with at least Alfred Blue.

Punch and counter punch.
We see it all the time.
A rookie QB comes unto the league, has a sensational rookie season, then regresses as teams have tape and work them out.
This 2019 season will be the real litmus test as to his ability as a QB.
If he really is going to be top tier in this league, then he will bounce back as he in turn figures out a way, in cohouts with his coach, to release the clamps opposing defenses put on him in his sophomore season.
I personally expect him to do so, and the coach will also have a hand in this as he works with Gaine in making ways through off season acquisitions to make it so.
Yes, he can work on getting rid of the ball faster but I definitely see FO improving his oline with two aims in mind - getting him more time in the pocket, but also to get him an outlet with a stronger running game.
A good line will figure strongly in these pursuits so I cannot see Texans neglecting this important aspect this offseason.
I wont be surprised to see a strong back brought in to compete with at least Alfred Blue.

^^^^
This and I expect Watson to have a big yr next yr.

Watson is doing the best he can under the circumstances. You can't teach somebody to stay in the pocket if there IS no pocket. We better get an OL pretty soon, because no QB can run for his life while shaking off the hits forever.

That and if we don't get him a reliable pocket and protection soon, we'll risk him picking up bad habits that can be hard to break.

That and if we don't get him a reliable pocket and protection soon, we'll risk him picking up bad habits that can be hard to break.

Yep, or getting hurt and not becoming the QB he should become. I mean he's still basically a 2nd yr QB and has already had 2 ACL's/Punctured lung/Broken Ribs.

You could understand why he may be a little gun shy.

The 2018-19 Deep Ball Project (Part 2/3)

Really good read; I hope you read part 3 as well for an insane number of charts

18. Deshaun Watson (Houston Texans)
screen-shot-2019-02-20-at-3.11.48-pm.png

Considering he played behind arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL, Deshaun Watson didn’t do a bad job at all. While his per game numbers regressed from his rookie season, I felt Watson grew as a passer in the pocket, showing more decisiveness and less off balance footwork.

Watson did well throwing to his left and right (12th in both areas with an accuracy percentage of 47.37% and 50.0% respectfully), and was 10th in accuracy percentage under pressure (47.62%). His impressed most throwing 36-40 yards, as he finished third in accuracy percentage (66.67%). He was also fifth in accuracy in both 21-25 and 26-30 distances (68.75% and 66.67% respectfully).

Watson could definitely improve throwing into tight windows, as he finished 30th in accuracy percentage with 22.73%. He threw 13 throws of at least 41 yards in the air yet ranked 31st in accuracy percentage in that area (13.33%).

Overall I don’t consider Watson to be a great downfield passer yet, but he’s taking steps in the right direction and has improved significantly over his rookie season.

https://brickwallblitz.com/2019/02/22/the-2018-19-deep-ball-project-part-2-3/

OK, so you don't know anything more about football that BOB does. Only playing one series per game obviously is not enough. In fact, that might be worse than nothing, because knowing you are only going in for a handful of plays will change your mindset to "just skate through a few plays" instead of "I am playing football".

And of course you don't know exactly how long it will take to work the jitters out, although about 3 games of about 3 quarters each is probably typical for many players.

It's not about winning preseason games. It's about using the preseason to prepare the team to win in the regular season. BOB didn't do that - and lots of us pointed that out at the time. Sure if Tom Brady is not coming off an injury, he doesn't need many preseason reps. Watson did need them this year, but BOB doesn't think it is his job to help the team win games.

Of course you don't want players getting injured in preseason. But players get injured in practice, even in non-contact drills. Should they stop practicing also? If your players are so fragile (lots of people on this site seem to think Watson is the most delicate snowflake in history) that you are afraid to prepare them for the season then you need stronger players or smarter coaching.

Great all around point.

Crazy thing Brady played a lot during the preseason. They understood the importance of building chemistry with all the new addition to that line and offense.

Back