Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Any of you gonna admit to owing DW4 an apology?

Almost every thread gets off topic so this is no surprise. Arguments here are petty year round. Maybe they'e "more petty'er" because we're in the slowest part of the offseason? It's gonna get worse before it gets better...

Infact, I might start a ridiculous offseason catch all thread just to corral it all into one place...

When the season actually starts and if the Texans starts off slow. It will get even crazier around these parts as well as every other Houston Texans sports blog. Shoots this happens on every sports forums across the globe. Lol

Last edited:
heeey... how 'bout that DeShaun Watson kid...?

he was pretty decent up until he got hurt, huh?

:)
Watson is trash and the Texans gave up way too much to get him. They should've kept Os and drafted OL at least 4 times this year. All Os needed was a decent OL. The Texans will rue the day they removed Rick Smith as GM. Best NFL GM in history. Shoulda fired OB and resurrected Bum Phillips and brought back Schaub as back up QB. :kitten:

I aplogize. :brando:

You remind me to look it up.
Not only Peterson got ditched after just one year into a 10-yr contract (plus a 5-yr option); he was replacing a guy that was fired one year into a 5-yr contract (unrelated to on field performance.)

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/12/24/...oilers-but-president-of-rice-says-school.html

To Icak and others, the point isn't about just an extension.
Rather, it's about the fact that a HC can be fired at any given time. There's no guarantee at all.

For example, Norv Turner got fired even though he has a good winning record; ie. , he's much more proven than Bill O'Brien.

Ed Hughes got fired because he refused to replace a trainer.

The owner simply does whatever he wants.
That Marty Ball guy comes to mind... :sarcasm:
I do tend to agree with you in general, but doubt McNair would do that.

We're not following the appropriate timeline. First we need a thread owing Scoot an apology for signing Osweiler ... and probably another for thinking his release (trade) was a good idea.

Only then can we recognize anyone who was wrong about Watson ... or whatever this thread has morphed into.

:kitten:

Last edited:
We're not following the appropriate timeline. First we need a thread owing Scoot an apology for signing Osweiler ... and probably another for thinking his release was a good idea.

Only then can we recognize anyone who was wrong about Watson ... or whatever this thread has morphed into.

You just asked for an apology on the internet? Wtf? Good luck sir.

That Marty Ball guy comes to mind... :sarcasm:
I do tend to agree with you in general, but doubt McNair would do that.

Marty could put together amazing seasons, then out of nowhere, he'd find and dust off his Playoff Playbook and royally suck.

We're not following the appropriate timeline. First we need a thread owing Scoot an apology for signing Osweiler ... and probably another for thinking his release (trade) was a good idea.

wait.... there's a protocol?

since when?
:shades:

Are you kidding Texecutioner and his buddies?? This is bigger than Watson! This is the “Coaches that got fired right after given an extension/O’Brien is on the hot seat thread.” They’ve made up their minds, so get it together.:shades:

If you are going to have a problem with things outside the thread title being discussed the internet isn’t for you.

Just saying.

You're throwing random crap out that doesn't meet the question. That's not "examples" at all.

How many types of cookies are there?

Well there's cherry pie, rhubarb pie, chocolate chip (oops got one accidentally), blueberry pie...

Its okay to admit that you were wrong. This is one of those times. You don't get to change up and create all these terms in a discussion you jumped in on and waved your hand denying what was said. Coaches get canned fairly quickly when their teams nose dive in many cases or their seat gets really hot despite recent exstensions. That was the general point. Examples exist. Not anyone's fault if you want to pretend they didn't happen.

Last edited:
I semi owe him one.

Looking back, I remember watching Clemson take on Alabama back to back and being amazed, I hoped and wished we’d draft Watson but was convinced there was absolutely NO way in hell he’d be there as he was sure to be the first quarterback off the board. (In my mind.) I remember settling for Mahommes thinking we’d have a better shot at him, not that it was guaranteed he’d be there or that we’d even draft a quarterback.

I guess I bought into the “Run First, Only Reads Half The Field, Slow Throw Velocity, Weak Arm” comments lots of posters here made about him. I feel like such an idiot now, lol.

God bless our DW4!
Lol, good luck getting people on a message board to admit they are/were wrong.

I guess this thread could have been viewed as a chance to come clean and let bygones be bygones especially considering the kids unquestioned success despite all tge doubts and false draft opinions/natratives about his skillset.

Like you did people could have said which false predraft info they were taken in with.

There was a small bit of balanced discussion last summer but mostly a lot of attempted shouting down without any real attempts to listen.....even when evidence was provided that refuted the draft opinions. So there are quite s number of people who could post in this thread.

And it seems even now that there are a few who are still caught up in their preconceptions....

Oh well....I'm sure most are exceedingly happy with Watson now...whether or not they were right or wrong about him prior doesn't really matter.

I guess I can admit I was wrong about Watson but only because I believed what was said about his arm strength and the velocity of his ball. He did appear to have all the other intangibles like mobility, pocket awareness, accuracy, leadership, etc.... I was just concerned that his ball velocity would not be up to NFL standards and thought he would throw a lot of interceptions since "the windows" close a lot faster in the NFL than they do in college. It just proves the point that you can't always believe what you read, either good or bad! A lot may be put out there as "fake news" to throw some scouts or personnel people off. It must have worked in Watson's case because he should have been picked #1 knowing what we know now. Just glad the Texans were able to make the right call and go get him when they did.

I am like Mangler, I never thought we would have a chance in getting him since he was supposed to go in the first three picks or so and it would cost us way more than we could afford to go get him. So, I focused on the guy I thought we might have a chance at, Patrick Mahomes. Really liked the look of him. As the draft unfolded I was floored that we got DW. Very glad we did, but I still think Mahomes would have been a great pick and will be paying attention to US to see how he does.

giphy.gif

What a bogus thread.

You were one of the drunk ones who denounced any idea that he could possibly get hurt last season and that injury concerns were laughable and that he was so different than other QB's who had similar skills. He did get hurt and those that were questioning that were right 100%. He didn't even last an entire season. Now he played great and was off to having the best rookie season of all time, but 7 games means squat in the NFL if you look at this overall history of QB's from the last 15 years. Especially the mobile ones with tons of athleticism like Watson has. Acting like 7 games means that the verdict is completely over is total nonsense. Das Prescott was nowhere near the QB he was as a rookie, and neither was RG3. RG3 and Watson had practically the same skill set coming into the NFL, and both caught huge injuries within that first season. RG3 just lasted longer. Watson was off to a great start, but now teams have film on him for next season, and we'll have to see how well he comes back from injury as well. He still has a lot to prove.

Lol wouldn't expect anything less from you. You thought he was like VY. No worries though, when he brings a championship to H-Town you will be clamoring all over his nut sack saying you believed the entire time.

I especially loved the part last year when posters were complaining about his throwing speed being under 55 MPH and how it was a death sentence for him. Sometimes people get caught up in ridiculous things.

Lol wouldn't expect anything less from you. You thought he was like VY. No worries though, when he brings a championship to H-Town you will be clamoring all over his nut sack saying you believed the entire time.

I especially loved the part last year when posters were complaining about his throwing speed being under 55 MPH and how it was a death sentence for him. Sometimes people get caught up in ridiculous things.

Funny you mention VY without even acknowledging the historical context of it. VY was the ROTY, and everyone around the league was all on his jock. And then what happened? Teams saw film on him, injuries piled up, and he struggled pretty bad and got worse. Watson played for 7 games and played awesome as a rookie. So did RG3 for an entire season and Dak as well as rookies. So did Andrew Luck, Nick Foles, and Kaepernick. Rookie QB's and the first 3 years of QB's in this decade have shown nothing but inconsistencies all over the place, and if bringing that up and using it as a reference for examples means that I want Watson to struggle or that I think Watson is garbage than your reading comprehension is really poor. You don't even understand the point. You're way to caught up in drinking Kool Aid and sticking your chest out to even imagine that a successful first year QB could possibly have a Sophomore slump like Cam Newton did when teams see film on him or if his body responds well from rehab. I haven't seen anyone doubt that he'll play well. Them and myself have brought up very realistic questions based on the recent historical performances of many QB's just like Watson.

You mean ridiculous things like worrying about him getting hurt with his build, behind last yrs OL?

You mean ridiculous things like worrying about him getting hurt with his build, behind last yrs OL?

They were the ones out there claiming that Watson was so different the RG3 (Same skill set) and how much smarter he was about not getting hit and yada yada all because he wore a Texans uniform. They somehow refused to believe that QB's can get hit and injured on any given play in the NFL and didn't care that Watson took a lot more hits than most guys with his crappy Oline or that his improvising to extend plays is great, but also creates a higher % chance for him to get injured. And what happened? He gets hurt for the season a few weeks after in practice. The whole "shut up he won't get injured" attitude was a major eye roll from a few fans in here last season especially since it ended up happening.

They were the ones out there claiming that Watson was so different the RG3 (Same skill set) and how much smarter he was about not getting hit and yada yada all because he wore a Texans uniform. They somehow refused to believe that QB's can get hit and injured on any given play in the NFL and didn't care that Watson took a lot more hits than most guys with his crappy Oline or that his improvising to extend plays is great, but also creates a higher % chance for him to get injured. And what happened? He gets hurt for the season a few weeks after in practice. The whole "shut up he won't get injured" attitude was a major eye roll from a few fans in here last season especially since it ended up happening.

What’s more absurd is people act like it cant happen again. It was just a one time thing.

Great QB play or not, the guy has to be healthy and complete the season.

If he has another season ending injury you have to draft his replacement.

Hey we can't blame them for reading what they've read. Lol

I've been thinking about this since it was announced that O'Brien was going to tweak his offense to better utilize Watson's skill set for this season.

Watson could be in the cat-bird seat in regards to sophomore slumps since the same coaching staff is implementing a revised offense that could render last years film meaningless. In all honesty, if O'Brien has modified his offense and Watson and the offense are comfortable with it....Watson could have a really big season.

I've been thinking about this since it was announced that O'Brien was going to tweak his offense to better utilize Watson's skill set for this season.

Watson could be in the cat-bird seat in regards to sophomore slumps since the same coaching staff is implementing a revised offense that could render last years film meaningless. In all honesty, if O'Brien has modified his offense and Watson and the offense are comfortable with it....Watson could have a really big season.

We also might be able to beat the Pats week 1. Not just beat them, but destroy them.

34-17. Mark it down! :koolaid:

Lol so now the NON Watson activists get a chance to say "welp we told you he would get hurt" ... ON A COMPLETELY FREAK PLAY!! Just me seeing the irony here?

Not on a scramble or a designed run or even a knockdown .. on a ridiculous hurdle and subsequent 'extra' roll into a QB who had already delivered the ball. Yet somehow THEIR concerns were warranted.

GTFOH.

Lol so now the NON Watson activists get a chance to say "welp we told you he would get hurt" ... ON A COMPLETELY FREAK PLAY!! Just me seeing the irony here?

Not on a scramble or a designed run or even a knockdown .. on a ridiculous hurdle and subsequent 'extra' roll into a QB who had already delivered the ball. Yet somehow THEIR concerns were warranted.

GTFOH.

It's not how he got hurt

It's the number of hits he took

The odds caught up to him.

Is that so hard to understand?

What’s more absurd is people act like it cant happen again. It was just a one time thing.

Great QB play or not, the guy has to be healthy and complete the season.

If he has another season ending injury you have to draft his replacement.

Exactly. Hasn't he had like two ACL surgeries now or something? I wish for the best just like any Texans fan with him. What he did on the field last season was undeniable. I just hope that he can get back into that same rhythm. I hope that Watson studies Wilson long and hard from a mobility standpoint. He's by far the smartest calculated scrambler from a safety standpoint I've ever seen.

Fun to discuss:

How far would Watson have slipped if Houston hadn't traded up to the 12th pick to get him? Was there other teams seriously contemplating a trade up to get him? If Houston hadn't made the move, does he actually endure a Rodgers drop?

Just curious what others might think.

There are higher concerns for any dual threat QB with high mobility who extends a lot of plays on the feet for extra time and on QB scrambles. I really have to explain that logic to you? The Texans had one of the worst Olines in the league that got Savage destroyed with a concussion in the first half of game one so they already had one QB that got sidelined as evidence for concern from the get go.

What you just described is not a freak play. It is something that happens to QB's quite frequently after they deliver a pass. The play itself doesn't matter any way. It's the amount of hits a QB takes throughout a season or a game that matters. High amounts of collisions equals a much greater chance for some type of injury. What is so difficult to digest about that and why do you turn that form of discussion into "They think Watson sucks"?? It's not accurate, and you're setting yourself up to look foolish if Watson were to get injured again by marginalizing the possibility of it.

Fun to discuss:

How far would Watson have slipped if Houston hadn't traded up to the 12th pick to get him? Was there other teams seriously contemplating a trade up to get him? If Houston hadn't made the move, does he actually endure a Rodgers drop?

Just curious what others might think.

Very possible he would have continued to drop. Rick felt uneasy with Mahomes going a few picks before and just wanted to trade up and get his guy.

For all we know, though, the Cards could have taken him at 13. (Even though Bruce Arians said they weren't targeting Watson with that pick)

Edit: Took a quick glance at the draft results. Very possible Broncos might have taken him at 20. Maybe the Redskins take him at 17 so that they could deal Cousins? Who knows. It does look like Watson would have fallen if we didn't trade up. (Or maybe the Browns just take him at 12?)

No idea. Good question, though.

Funny you mention VY without even acknowledging the historical context of it. VY was the ROTY, and everyone around the league was all on his jock. And then what happened? Teams saw film on him, injuries piled up, and he struggled pretty bad and got worse. Watson played for 7 games and played awesome as a rookie. So did RG3 for an entire season and Dak as well as rookies. So did Andrew Luck, Nick Foles, and Kaepernick. Rookie QB's and the first 3 years of QB's in this decade have shown nothing but inconsistencies all over the place, and if bringing that up and using it as a reference for examples means that I want Watson to struggle or that I think Watson is garbage than your reading comprehension is really poor. You don't even understand the point. You're way to caught up in drinking Kool Aid and sticking your chest out to even imagine that a successful first year QB could possibly have a Sophomore slump like Cam Newton did when teams see film on him or if his body responds well from rehab. I haven't seen anyone doubt that he'll play well. Them and myself have brought up very realistic questions based on the recent historical performances of many QB's just like Watson.

Except, you know, RG3 and VY were never as good in the pocket and couldn't read a defense to save their life. If you honestly look at Watson and think he is like either one of those two, you are being naive and stubborn in your review. Watson plays more like Rodgers but is much more athletic (and not quite as accurate). His ability to move defenders with his eyes is light years ahead of any of the Qbs you mentioned.

Watson ain't perfect. His accuracy should/can improve. He needs to know when to force it and when not to. I have faith he will learn and improve.

Funny you brag about his injury and say I told you so, except you leave out that he was injured while standing tall in the pocket not running around like crazy. But hey, that doesn't fit your narrative, does it?

Lol "it's the amount of hits" argument now. I bet most of these bozos don't even know how he got injured. So then if that type of freak play is so frequent why are more QBs not sidelined with injury on those plays each year.

Weak arguments.

When we get there some of you have some explaining to do since admitting being wrong is so hard to do around here and the need to be right so overwhelming.

GTFOH.

This is so political. Reminds me of guy who was elected president but any time you criticized him you were labeled as unsupportive or worse. But I digress...

Everyone is a fan of Watson and wished him success because then the team has success.

But not everyone is just going to write him off as a success when he couldn’t finish the season. Any player should be subject to criticism.

There are higher concerns for any dual threat QB with high mobility who extends a lot of plays on the feet for extra time and on QB scrambles. I really have to explain that logic to you? The Texans had one of the worst Olines in the league that got Savage destroyed with a concussion in the first half of game one so they already had one QB that got sidelined as evidence for concern from the get go.

What you just described is not a freak play. It is something that happens to QB's quite frequently after they deliver a pass. The play itself doesn't matter any way. It's the amount of hits a QB takes throughout a season or a game that matters. High amounts of collisions equals a much greater chance for some type of injury. What is so difficult to digest about that and why do you turn that form of discussion into "They think Watson sucks"?? It's not accurate, and you're setting yourself up to look foolish if Watson were to get injured again by marginalizing the possibility of it.

The amount of hits/collisions was not the reason why Watson got injured. And that was a freak accident.

Bro how can you do that when it's so easy to injure your ACL without being hit? The NFL has lost quite a few players for the season already behind ACL injuries. And this is OTA's.
The amount of hits/collisions was not the reason why Watson got injured. And that was a freak accident.

Talk about downplaying an injury. It’s a common injury so it’s ok, and it was a freak accident that caused it so it’s not like it will happen again. Gotcha...

Want to see a freak accident? Right here:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...injury-during-sunday-night-football/23237232/

Except, you know, RG3 and VY were never as good in the pocket and couldn't read a defense to save their life. If you honestly look at Watson and think he is like either one of those two, you are being naive and stubborn in your review. Watson plays more like Rodgers but is much more athletic (and not quite as accurate). His ability to move defenders with his eyes is light years ahead of any of the Qbs you mentioned.

RG3 accounted for 27 TD's 5 INT's and only 2 Fumbles taking a team that was a bottom feeder the season before to the playoffs. That's only 7 TO's for the entire season for a rookie. He was the rookie of the year. Those are excellent numbers, and yeah they had the same skill set coming out of college. You'd have to be a numskull to act like they didn't. And furthermore RG3 was incredible then. It's a good comparison. Not a bad one.

Funny you brag about his injury and say I told you so, except you leave out that he was injured while standing tall in the pocket not running around like crazy. But hey, that doesn't fit your narrative, does it?

Now you've just gone full retard. I've got at least 7 to 8 posts in this thread and you can dissect any one of them and show me where I bragged about him getting injured or ever said anything even negative about Watson. Pull it up, or identify yourself as a liar, because anyone reading this can interpret that you're creating arguments that no one has ever said.

What does that have to do with the statement? Are you foolish enough to co-sign your name along with Uncle Rico here that higher amounts of hits doesn't create a higher % chance to get injured? :kubepalm:

I dunno but maybe former GM Rick Smith is the one to whom an apology is owed since he's the person most responsible for DW4 being here in Houston?

Lol "it's the amount of hits" argument now. I bet most of these bozos don't even know how he got injured. So then if that type of freak play is so frequent why are more QBs not sidelined with injury on those plays each year.

How does his injury change the validity of that statement? 3 posts now, and you can't even explain that. You're saying weak arguments while attempting to argue that the "law of averages" is a flawed statement and that basic statistical mathematical probabilities are non existent.

When we get there some of you have some explaining to do since admitting being wrong is so hard to do around here and the need to be right so overwhelming.

What has been proven? That a QB can play well for 7 games or that you can make the same foolish argument for two years in a row even after you ended up being wrong the first time? Your entire premise really has nothing to do with Watson's abilities. It's a complete disregard for the violence involved in the sport of football for "one player" who only has evidence to suggest that he "can" get injured. Watson himself would laugh at this.

What does that have to do with the statement? Are you foolish enough to co-sign your name along with Uncle Rico here that higher amounts of hits doesn't create a higher % chance to get injured? :kubepalm:

That is not what I said. I said the amount of hit was not the reason why Watson got injured. That is foolish on your part to even think so.

Aaron Rodgers played how many years before finally getting hurt. And his oline has been one of the worst for several years.

Brady took a beating last season for the first 6-8 games. During that time he was the most hit QB. Did he get hurt?

It's not just mobile QBs , every QB takes a beating out there. Even Dak behind the best oline took a good old fashioned beating. That's why he had that sophomore slump.

All we can do is wish and hope Watson stays healthy during his tenure as a Texans.

Back