Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Any of you going to admit to owing Lamm an apology?

Max

Veteran
It's just guys talking, and i'm not trying to make anyone defensive........I don't hold any opinion against anyone, no one is demanding an apology that's silly. The thread just asks a common sport message board question about perceptions, takes that proved to be wrong...like the one about Lamm sucking.

It's all good though, all i'm saying is that there were plenty of people that discredited, posted information, and discussed the 'report' of Lamm sucking as soon as it came out. The fact of the matter is that some people chose to believe those reports because they already believed it was true (confirmation bias and all that jazz).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's just guys talking, and i'm not trying to make anyone defensive........I don't hold any opinion against anyone, no one is demanding an apology that's silly. The thread just asks a common sport message board question about perceptions, takes that proved to be wrong...like the one about Lamm sucking.

It's all good though, all i'm saying is that there were plenty of people that discredited, posted information, and discussed the 'report' of Lamm sucking as soon as it came out. The fact of the matter is that some people chose to believe those reports because they already believed it was true (confirmation bias and all that jazz).
Now this is some funny stuff here

Reactions: Max

Shishkabob

All Pro
Exactly. Too reminiscent of David Carr back in the day so DW4 is gonna have to work on cutting his losses by getting rid of the ball much quicker in some situations.
yea there was one or 2 where Idk if the sun was getting in his eyes, but he would step out to the right where there was an OLB covering in the flats with no receiver so he could just run at Watson.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Exactly. Too reminiscent of David Carr back in the day so DW4 is gonna have to work on cutting his losses by getting rid of the ball much quicker in some situations.
There's alot going on with Watson that's reminiscent of what happened with Carr. If Watson can just survive this season with Gaine as GM help will be on the way.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
When you go from shotgun quick reads and decide to go pro style 3-5-7 step drops then schematically you've added time to the throw in order to achieve 'timing' ... so yes Deshaun Watson had been coached to hold the ball longer and allow the slow ass wr routes to develop.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Well let's see, last season he received fairly little coaching and had the fastest release in the NFL. Then he spends an offseason under OBs tutelage and now he has the slowest. My dots are a lot closer than yours usually are.
Lol, this is pure garbage and spec. fairly sure Watson got more coaching last year than he has this year....if that's even a thing. What the Texans stopped working with him when he got hurt last year? The hours he spent trying to learn the playbook last year pretty much makes your statement false. Watson himself came out this year and stated he's light years ahead of where he was in 2017 in understanding the offense. 2nd, If you have major protection issues like the Texans have had, that mess can fundamentally alter game plans; schemes if you've been bad enough...& we know the Texans have been that bad. So it's pretty clear what's been going on with Watson. He's a gunslinger & has been reluctant to give up on plays & holds the ball too long. I think folks in here don't look at him as such b/c gunslingers are typically thought of as guys with cannons for arms & he doesn't have that.

But you can see the mentality. In every game this season he has taken a sack he shouldn't have for holding the ball too long when he could've just taken off & gotten 1-2 yards. He has been getting progressively much more decisive in either throwing it or taking off & running as the year has worn on, Yet you still saw yesterday, he took a couple of sacks that he didn't have to b/c he held onto the ball too long. It's part of the learning curve of a young qb & doubly hard for guys with his athleticism at the position to learn as they have been getting away their entire careers.

If anything BoB's trying to coach that **** OUT of him for his own sake.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Lol, this is pure garbage and spec. fairly sure Watson got more coaching last year than he has this year....if that's even a thing. What the Texans stopped working with him when he got hurt last year?
Before he started Einstein. You know when Savage was the starter and focus of the coaches.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Lamm replacing Davenport means the latter was a wasted draft pick. Does that mean Lamm is good? Let's put it this way: No.

Max

Veteran
Lamm replacing Davenport means the latter was a wasted draft pick. Does that mean Lamm is good? Let's put it this way: No.
Lamm appears to be better than Davenport at the moment, but he has a couple more years of experience/nfl strength training as well. It's entirely possible that D progresses into a much better player than Lamm so I wouldn't say D is a wasted pick just yet. D is a late 4th round OT which are generally developmental picks by definition. I see Lamm's ceiling as a swing tackle who can hopefully hold down the fort this year if healthy. If we add 2 solid OT's next year and move Rankin inside, I think we're all set for the OL. 2 solid OT's is a tall task but it's doable.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
No apology required , looking better than Davenport doesn't mean he belongs coaching a pop warner OL much less playing OT at the highest level.

The entire OL including Lamm was pathetic , the only reason they were remotely effective is that the Dolts pass rushers were not disciplined in their rush , they routinely over rushed the play out the back door giving Watson a place to escape - Exactly what the Patriots did so effectively in week one giving the league a blueprint to follow which the Giants and TinBreds both did exceptionally well.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I mentioned his lack of penalties in another thread …. but being better than Davenport has been isn't much of a measuring stick and doesn't qualify one as NFL ready.
Yeah....My post wasn't really in response to what you wrote...Just happened to be the next post after yours...

I agree, Davenport isn't any kind of measuring stick at this point. He's been one of the worst OL we've seen suit up here and that's saying something.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yeah....My post wasn't really in response to what you wrote...Just happened to be the next post after yours...

I agree, Davenport isn't any kind of measuring stick at this point. He's been one of the worst OL we've seen suit up here and that's saying something.

Rankin's been just as bad …. I recall one play where he didn't even get out of his stance and the defender was past him …. that's gotta be embarrassing to have on tape.

I hope Watson makes it thru the season.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Rankin's been just as bad …. I recall one play where he didn't even get out of his stance and the defender was past him …. that's gotta be embarrassing to have on tape.

I hope Watson makes it thru the season.
Yeah...

He's been garbage too for the most part...I see some potential there though.

With Davenport I just don't think he has it. To me his feet just look too slow to play on the NFL level and his not technically sound enough to even half way make up for it.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yeah...

He's been garbage too for the most part...I see some potential there though.

With Davenport I just don't think he has it. To me his feet just look too slow to play on the NFL level and his not technically sound enough to even half way make up for it.
I see something different with Davenport , I think he moves well enough but … those long arms that should be an advantage are the beginning of his downfall , he doesn't use the length , lets guys get into his chest and from there its over because he lacks strength in those long limbs.
As long as those arms are extended , you can keep the opponent at a distance and use your footwork …. If defenders can get into your body , they can move you , get by you , cause a holding call on you.… or put you on your ass and we've seen all of the above occur with Davenport.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Lamm appears to be better than Davenport at the moment, but he has a couple more years of experience/nfl strength training as well. It's entirely possible that D progresses into a much better player than Lamm so I wouldn't say D is a wasted pick just yet. D is a late 4th round OT which are generally developmental picks by definition. I see Lamm's ceiling as a swing tackle who can hopefully hold down the fort this year if healthy. If we add 2 solid OT's next year and move Rankin inside, I think we're all set for the OL. 2 solid OT's is a tall task but it's doable.
All of the OT's currently suck. Rankin seems like the only one with upside. He can atleast move guys in the run game.

Agreed with drafting 2 young OT's. I also would draft a young OG in the 3rd/4th rd range and bring back Henderson for depth purposes. My OL next yr would look like this.

Draft pick/Rankin/Martin/Henderson or draft pick

Reserves Henderson/ OG developmental draft pick/Kelemete/Mancz

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
All of the OT's currently suck. Rankin seems like the only one with upside. He can atleast move guys in the run game.

Agreed with drafting 2 young OT's. I also would draft a young OG in the 3rd/4th rd range and bring back Henderson for depth purposes. My OL next yr would look like this.

Draft pick/Rankin/Martin/Henderson or draft pick

Reserves Henderson/ OG developmental draft pick/Kelemete/Mancz
You don't think Fulton has played relatively well? I thought he has...

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think the current OL could offer it's biggest help next season....on the depth chart. I was hoping for 2 to 3 starters but I'm going to back that down to two. I'm with steelbtexan, draft a LT, RT, and RG....inside the first 4 rounds. There's still be 2 picks for CB's or maybe more, depending on where the Texans finish and if they could move Clowney before the deadline. I could be convinced to cut ties with Martin before the deadline as well and just insert Mancz to finish the season while looking towards next season with him as the starting center.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think the current OL could offer it's biggest help next season....on the depth chart. I was hoping for 2 to 3 starters but I'm going to back that down to two. I'm with steelbtexan, draft a LT, RT, and RG....inside the first 4 rounds. There's still be 2 picks for CB's or maybe more, depending on where the Texans finish and if they could move Clowney before the deadline. I could be convinced to cut ties with Martin before the deadline as well and just insert Mancz to finish the season while looking towards next season with him as the starting center.
Are there not any guards or tackles coming into free agency this winter that could potentially help us ?

Shishkabob

All Pro
Are there not any guards or tackles coming into free agency this winter that could potentially help us ?
The best is probably Daryl Williams from the Panthers, but he is going to be coming off a major knee injury. Pretty much all of the good ones that were set to hit the market signed extensions right before the season started

edit: I forgot Trent Brown(patriots LT) is set for free agency, he is who I would target here is the list of notables though

Tackles
1. Trent Brown, NE
2. Daryl Williams, CAR
3. Donovan Smith, TB
4. Bobby Massie, CHI
5. Cameron Fleming, DAL
6. Ereck Flowers, NYG
7. Ja’Wuan James, MIA
8. Jared Veldheer, DEN
9. Jake Fisher, CIN
10. Cedric Ogbuehi, CIN

Guards