Any News on Charles Spencer?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CowboysTexansFan, Oct 26, 2006.

1. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

Did a search of the board and couldn't find anything, so I'll just ask the question. Has the team provided an update on Charles Spencer's recovery? I remember reading his injuries were potentially career threatening and that the team wouldn't have a sense as to whether he'd be able to recuperate fully for about a month after his surgery.

Since it's been about a month ... has anyone heard any news? If possible, I may even try to call Coach Kubiak on his show on 610 to ask.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The only "reports" of the injury being career threatening have been fan speculation. He broke his leg. Other than he is out for the season there has been zero info from the team.

3. Nbkan

Nbkan Rookie

This is dated 09-18-2006 but all I could find.

Left tackle Charles Spencer had surgery Monday to repair the tibia he fractured in Sunday's loss to the Colts. "It was a very, very severe fracture, and the surgery went well," Texans coach Gary Kubiak told the Houston Chronicle. "I don't think we'll know a whole lot about his recovery for a couple months."

4. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

nowa days there arent to many career endin injuries, if you tear somethin they take a cadaver and use there body parts, i know he fractured his tibula and im not sure how that works

5. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

badum-bum

[​IMG]

6. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I don't know about career threatening. But I've been banging the be prepaired drum in case he's no longer a OLT canidate. I'm waiting for the "couple of Months" and holding my breath. I hope there's a little more info than we had on the Wand/Faggins deal. I doubt we get it though. If the news that the leg is bad, we'd tip our hand for April. They may not know for sure untill next mini camp. With all the All Day talk in the draft room, I'm gripping about it for sure.

7. Cruuuuuuuz

Cruuuuuuuz Veteran

man...thanks....thas the funniest s**t ive read in a long time!:yahoo:

8. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

CloaknnnDager has a post on the Micheal Bush thread in the college/draft forum. It gave me ......hope. It's not what he broke Duanta. It's where he broke it. You're talking about a 325 pound freak with exceptionally quick feet. That's what made him such a plumb in the third round. A lot of clubs had egg on their face by passing him by. Now whether or not he'll be the same player he was befor the injury, that's the rub for me. There's no doubt he can handle the right side. We won't know untill spring about the left side. If the leg dosen't re-fracture next year, he'll be more than ok on the right side.

9. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

thats axactly what i ment

:rolleyes:

my bad i dont really know what im talkin about

10. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Don't worry about it. You are fun to read and "most" of us understood what you were saying. I think it is great that we have English and Science teachers on this board to help us numbskulls get through the day. I realize with great gravity that when I spell a word incorrectly that the sun fades, the tides stop and the earth's revolution slows. I am so POWERFUL! TA DA.:rolleyes:

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Spencer was really coming along, although his lateral movement was already a little slow to handle the speed rushers, at the time of injury he was locked up on Freeney who was coming off the edge & about to get around Charles to Carr when David handed off to Ron Dayne who barrled over Spencers planted foot still engaged with Freeney and snapped it clean.

Once cleared to play (next season) its going to still take Charles Spencer time to re-gain his strength & mobility, 50/50 if he is ever 100% again. Thats why the Texans need to go after an elite LT in the draft, it addresses a critical need, adds some quality depth and gives Spencer time to rehab without rushing him back into action too early.

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't understand stuff like this...???????????????? huh?, wtf and all that!

where do you people get your odds on stuff like a broken leg? You guys act like he blew out both knees....

13. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I think Spencer's biggest problem will be creeping to 400 lbs ... if he's not carefull . On the the other hand he gets to 320 lb he'll be better than ever .

14. TigerV1

TigerV1 All Pro

70% of all stats are made up. :shades:

15. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

56% of people know that:yikes:

16. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

But only 30% of the time by 50% of the people so that they can bamboozal 25% of those who read it.

17. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

It's becoming a bit of a cursed position with th Texans. He was my favorite new player. He was going to be a force. Thanks Dayne. Actually thanks Kubiak for bringing in Mr. Personality. I doubt he yet knows what he did to Spencer. Dayne seems like he's not all there.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I don't understand the over reaction to a simple common sense assertion, wtf is up with that. While not a doctor those who have followed football know what happens in most cases to athletes with this severe injury, case in point look at Eric Winston once considered the premier LT in all of College Football two years later he is still working his way back & not a LT position anymore.

Its a general rule of thumb returning to sports activities is that the injured leg should have 85 to 90 percent of the quadriceps and hamstring strength compared to the pre-surgical level. This is determined by the physical therapist or physician using simple strength tests called isokinetic tests. The time table is set with a broad band depending upon each individual situation of 4 months to 24 months. With a high break to the tibia the patellar tendon (the 'ligament' of the knee cap) connects the lower part of the kneecap (patella) to the upper part of the tibia, specifically to the lump one can feel just below the knee on the lower leg bone (the tibia). Part of this tendon is commonly used in reconstructing a torn ACL.

Now while it would be nice to get a more detailed assesment of the surgery and its time table it does not sound like they know anything for sure at this point so the question was posed & some of us myself included took a shot for specultion sake there is no need to berate posters & tear your own acl in the process :ouch:

Chance_C likes this.
  19. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Yeah, that whole LT position looks pretty cursed, ever since Bocelli.

Runner likes this.
  20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Yea, but that was over a month ago. Where is that poster ? Haven't seen
    anything new by him lately ? His remarks were always thoughtful and when
    it comes to subjects like this, very informative. Sounds like he's an orthopedic doctor. We need his input on subjects like this, especially when
    we finally start to get an update(s) on Spencers condition and need to get an educated prognosis.

Runner likes this.