Any chance Mathis or Armstrong will beat Bradford?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Grid, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

What do yall think?

Is Bradford a lock at #2? or can Mathis or Armstrong win it?

Or Starling for that matter.

Ya know.. if we take 5 WRs.. who are we going to keep? and what are we going to do with the remaining?

We currently have 6 guys that look good enough to make the roster right? Johnson, Gaffney, Bradford, Armstrong, Mathis, and Starling.. so whats gonna happen?

2. evil_scotsman

evil_scotsman Rookie

Bradford should only be here for a year, and Capers is all for younger talent over older players (Losing sharper, gaining greenwood etc) so I think he'll let them duke it out. I wouldn't say Bradfords a lock at WR2 just yet.

3. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I don't think who's listed at #2 WR is going to mean much of anything. Gaff, Bradford, and Armstrong will all see some action at the #2 spot during the season. I really think we'll keep 6 WRs on the roster. AJ, Gaff, Bradford, Mathis, Armstrong, Starling all look like they should make the final roster. JJ Moses is no longer taking up a roster spot. I think Baxter is likely to be cut, and that will leave Norris, Wells, Morrency, Hollings, and DD. If Norris gets injured *knocks on wood* we would need to pick someone up to get a FB that can block though.

4. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I don't know that Bradford is an absouloute lock, but I think that is the likely scenerio. We have a ton of depth at WR right now, but not enough cream at the top. We have AJ, and a whole host of guys that should be working from the slot or split wide in a 4 WR set. I see half a dozen guys that have the talent to be a 3rd or 4th WR on a roster. That's ultimately a good problem to have, but I don't see a guy on the roster that I am comfortable with as a bonifide #2. I hope that man is either on the roster, and shows himself this year, or we get one in the draft or FA next year.

5. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

i think there is a very good shot at mathis taking the number 2 spot. he's unbelievably fast, and he's been doing well in training camp. it might not be until halfway through the season, but i think it could happen.

6. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

I think Reggie Swinton should be added to the list of guys competing for a WR spot. Although he may not be as good a WR as the others, he can return punts and kickoffs which really makes him valuable. Casserly just said on 610 sports that he would like Buchanon to return some punts because of his explosiveness....but not all the time. Mathis will likely return kickoffs, but it seems that he may not be very good returning punts. That means that Swinton could win a job as the primary punt returner. And that may leave Armstrong or Starling without a job.

7. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Armstrong is to Gaffney as Starling and Mathis are to Bradford.

Mathis has been very impressive. He has more skills than just flat out speed.

8. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Didnt capers say a while back that Armstron and Bradford were competing for the #2 spot?

9. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

Capers did say, in an interview a couple days ago, that Armstrong has the best hands on the team.

10. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Im expecting to see high quality reps fir Mathis this season, if not gaining the #2 receiver spot. Coming into the draft, Mathis was ranked as a mid 3rd round draft pick and we got him in the 4th with a very good pick. I see Mathis doing somewhat of what DD did his rookie year, now he prolly wont win ROY, but as far as ive seen read and heard on the Texans training camp, Mathis is better than expected as far as hands a route running go. It seems like reporters are talkin about Mathis more than Morency and not much less than TJ. It think that he will go into the season he will be the #4 receiver and by week 4 prolly #3, he might even break the lineup by week 8 or 9.

11. AndreJ

AndreJ All Pro

From what i have read in the Chronicle and on the teams website, it looks like Bradford has been doing a really good job and will retain his #2 spot, however it is still early and a lot could change between now and later. I do think that Bradford will step up this season and suprise many of us...only time will tell.

12. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Not a bad situation we have going. We will wind up with a solid WR corps.

13. Jwwillis

Jwwillis All Pro

I think no way they cut Armstrong for Swinton. Starling will probably go to the practice squad again. Nobodys is giving "little pitts" a chance I take it :)

14. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I bet some team will take Starling if we keep him on our practice squad. Some teams would give him a chance.

It doesnt matter who is number 2. We play out of a 3 WR set most of the time. When we need speed for a big play you may see AJ, Bradford and Mathis. When you need a crucial first down, you will see Armstrong and Gaff out there with AJ. It depends on the situation. You'll see a mixture of WR all season long.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

the thing is.. given the choice between bradford, mathis, armstrong and starling.. id cut bradford in a heartbeat.

Im sorry but the guy did NOT make an impact last year, and all three of these young guys show promise. I would keep all three of them on the active roster and get them some experience.. they CANT do as badly as bradford did.. they are too talented.

I guess thats why im not working in the F.O. of a football team.

16. TexansR#1

TexansR#1 Rookie

I dont care who the 2nd reciever is just as long as they can step up and take pressure off of Johnson!

17. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

I hear yah Grid - But would you not also agree that Bradford didnt get a lot of looks or balls thrown his way last year either? I know the team said they wanted to get him more involved but I just didnt see it happen last year. I saw him make some plays and get open alot his first year and then AJ came in and the offense seemed to shift to two dimensions [AJ & DD]. I noticed last year at times it seemed David was locked on AJ until he dumped to DD and never looked Bradfords way at all. - Thoughts?

For me IMO - Bradford is still a lock at the #2 as its a speed position and he has that along with decent hands and a better knowledge of the playbook/experience than either of the other 2 guys

Basically I see the other 2 guys as role players atm. IMO Armstrong is alot closer to challenging over Gaffneys spot than Mathis is with Bradford IMO. Mathis is very raw as a receiver from what I have seen and needs to work on his route running which is something they identified early on. Armstrong is a good possesion receiver and if Gaffney goes down or has trouble - I see Armstrong stepping in immediately there.

Mathis comes in for the formations requiring extra speed
    Armstrong for those possesion requiring better hands.

Currently I see 3 setups for both of these guys

1 - Subs for the Starters on downs they are gassed and need a breather
    2 - Additional receivers in formation that require more than 3 receivers
    3 - #3 Receiver on downs where we are going for a particular type of play that requires a change of personel [IE Yardage or Possesion]

Our Scary lineup for Speed - Try covering all 3 of these guys!

#1 Johnson
    #2 Bradford
    #3 Mathis

On Possesions we got

#1 Johnson
    #2 Gaffney
    #3 Armstrong

18. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

That is true. Carr's read was AJ, Davis. And everyone now and then he threw it to Gaff, Bradford or Armstrong.

Bradford saw 54 passes
    Gaffney saw 68 passes
    Armstrong saw 39 passes

AJ saw 137 passes
    Davis saw 85 passes (2nd among RBs, only 2 passes behind Westbrook)
    (got those stats footballoutsiders.com)

And lets not forget that Bradford was the speed option so a lot of his passes were down the field where the throw has to be more perfect and the protection had to be good.

We will not win this year if Davis sees 85 passes...

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Wr2bc

20. wags

wags Hall of Fame

More like AJ, fat D-lineman, field turf.