Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Any card/memorabilia collectors here?

iBLeeDBaTTLeReD

Practice Squad
New to the forum and just wondering if anyone collects cards/memorabilia. I have a pretty sweet Texans collection I'm building that varies from football cards to signed memorabilia. Would be nice to meet other fellow collectors in Houston :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I used to collect various items, but I more or less stopped years ago. The only things I've gotten since the Texans have been in existence are an AJ signed football, a football signed by a few early Texans, and some autographed football cards. I also picked up a football signed by Earl recently, that is the centerpiece of what memorabilia I have displayed.

What other memorabilia have you found?

I have some decent stuff. An Arian Foster signed ball, Mario signed ball, Cushing signed photo, Ken Griffey, Jr signed ball, Craig Biggio signed ball, a hat signed by Barry Bonds, and a few other items. I collected cards as a kid and have a pretty decent baseball card collection. My prized cards are a bunch of Griffey, Bagwell, and Biggio cards I have. Nothing too valuable though.

I just recently got a Cushing signed ball, and a Bruce Matthews signed football. My Mother-in-law got this for me a few days ago, ran into Kubiak at a truck dealership:

eLVMKHb.jpg

I collected cards as a kid ...

Oh, I have a bunch of cards from when I was a kid. And that was a long time ago, LOL. I have a number of cards that are high book value, but they probably only grade a 7-8, so I've just held on to them.

I used to collect various items, but I more or less stopped years ago. The only things I've gotten since the Texans have been in existence are an AJ signed football, a football signed by a few early Texans, and some autographed football cards. I also picked up a football signed by Earl recently, that is the centerpiece of what memorabilia I have displayed.

What other memorabilia have you found?

I have some decent stuff. An Arian Foster signed ball, Mario signed ball, Cushing signed photo, Ken Griffey, Jr signed ball, Craig Biggio signed ball, a hat signed by Barry Bonds, and a few other items. I collected cards as a kid and have a pretty decent baseball card collection. My prized cards are a bunch of Griffey, Bagwell, and Biggio cards I have. Nothing too valuable though.

I just recently got a Cushing signed ball, and a Bruce Matthews signed football. My Mother-in-law got this for me a few days ago, ran into Kubiak at a truck dealership:

eLVMKHb.jpg

Oh, I have a bunch of cards from when I was a kid. And that was a long time ago, LOL. I have a number of cards that are high book value, but they probably only grade a 7-8, so I've just held on to them.

Cool stories guys. I actually have a few nice items and a very nice Andre Johnson and Brian Cushing card collection along with a few Arian and Watt auto cards as well. Here's a few pics of the memorabilia i have:

Arian Foster signed full size authentic helmet i picked up at the TriStar show last year
IMG_20120603_161612.jpg

Cushing autographed On field Jersey and 16x20 autographed Photo with custom frame
IMG_20130502_013125_zps9de9723f.jpg

IMG_20120603_161911.jpg

Here's a link to my photo bucket if you'd like to check out all my player card collections.
http://m1257.photobucket.com/albumlist/xxhtownutzxx

Yes I'm an adult that still collects football cards as a hobby. You'd be surprised most collectors nowadays are grown men. Card boxes have become so expensive it's not something a kid could pick up like we used to as children.

Nice man! Love that signed Cushing pic! Also, that Arian helmet is pretty sweet too. The best part is him writing "2010 Rushing Champ". Freaking sweet!

The one cool thing about my Arian signed ball is I got it his rookie year. No one was coming over to see him, and I am assuming no one even knew who he was. I went up and got to carry on a conversation with him for a good 10-15 minutes. The part about the ball I like so much is instead of #23, he signed it #37. Pretty original since he only wore the number for one year.

Very cool. What are some of your favorites?

I really probably should look up the values on some of the ones I have. I haven't even pulled them out in 10-15 years, so it would be interesting to see if any have escalated in value at all. I do have one those game used jersey cards for Andre. It's signed too, but I have no clue what it's worth.

I have the exact same picture without the matting of Cushing as you signed along with a Watt picture coming out of the tunnel with the smoke behind him. I have a joe Montana signed bench slab/ picture combo I bought(when he was in college). For baseball I have a signed mike trout 8x10 of him robbing jj hardy of his homerun last year. And for hockey I have a signed Carey price picture from the heritage classic they played in. Gotta represent all of my teams, however, the texans pictures are by far my favourites. Ill post some pictures when I get a chance

Wow great story. That's awesome with the #37 thing a diamond in the rough. I got to meet with him and chat as well at the show last year. The dealer i bought the
helmet from to get signed got me to the back where all the wholesaler merchandise was at. All the players booked for the show were back there signing piles and piles of jerseys, photos, balls, and helmets. He introduced me to Arian and i was like a kid at the candy store all cheese face with excitement lol.

As far as cards go i can tell you this much, in the collecting world no one goes by book value anymore. A card's value is strictly based off completed sales value on eBay. eBay was the death of traditional collecting and the reason alot of small mom and pop shops closed down. If you or anyone else has an itch to start collecting again or just want a different forum to chat on and meet new folks visit www.blowoutcards.com/forums

It's mainly a collector site but they also have sports talk sections to just chat it up about football/baseball/basketball and other sports as well. If you join send me a pm same user ID as here ;)

I went to the NFL draft the year Mario Williams was drafted in NY. About 15 minutes after we officially drafted him, Tom Wiley from the Texans brought Mario Williams to where I was sitting and introduce Mario to me. I got Mario to autograph my draft ticket.

Love some of these stories, wish I was able to be in the position you guys were in to meet some of these guys. I hope the stories keep coming

Very cool. What are some of your favorites?

Well, I had just about every Astros card made from '81 to '86, but the only ones worth anything are the Nolan ones. I got autographs on some of them - Bill Doran, Dickie Thon, Craig Reynolds, Omar Moreno, Terry Puhl, and Joe Sambito off the top of my head. Some years later, I took my kids out to a few autograph sessions and they got autographs from Caminiti, Biggio, Finley, and Gonzales. Obviously none of those are worth anything, but they're my favorites.

When I was in the Army, I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, and there was a Tigers farm team there in Fayetteville. I got Frank Catalanotto's autograph on a Fayetteville Generals ticket. That was pretty cool. I got Clemens' autograph when he was with the Sox. I have an Oilers pennant somewhere with 7 or 8 autographs on it. I remember Del Greco's sig was on there, along with I think Sean Jones, Jay Pennison, and a few others I don't remember.

I have lots of autographs that I just got in a trade somewhere or random pulls from packs.

I have a ton of early '80s cards. Off the top of my head, I have rookie cards for Ripken, Boggs, Gwynn, Mattingly, Clemens, etc. In football, I have rookie cards for Marino, Elway, LT, Lott, Montana, etc. As I said, a lot of them only grade out as 7 or 8. So not really worth trying to sell them. Plus, they're reminders of my childhood. I was heavy into football when Earl burst onto the scene, and the 5 or 6 years after that, I spent a lot of the money I earned selling Houston Post subscriptions on cards.

My favorite piece overall is the Earl football, fince he's my all-time favorite player. That's followed by some of the worthless Astros autographs from my early teens.

May as well relate this story here as well. Back when Demeco Ryans was drafted, he had an agent that sold some autographed gear. My wife bought a helmet case separately and ordered a signed Alabama helmet, since she's a Tide alumnus. The guy jerked us around for a couple months and we finally raised enough hell that he refunded our money and sent a few autographed cards, but we never got the helmet. So I have my AJ signed football sitting in a helmet case, LOL.

Ryans is still one of my favorite players, though.

May as well relate this story here as well. Back when Demeco Ryans was drafted, he had an agent that sold some autographed gear. My wife bought a helmet case separately and ordered a signed Alabama helmet, since she's a Tide alumnus. The guy jerked us around for a couple months and we finally raised enough hell that he refunded our money and sent a few autographed cards, but we never got the helmet. So I have my AJ signed football sitting in a helmet case, LOL.

Ryans is still one of my favorite players, though.

Wow! I remember that. Almost bought some of the merchandise Demeco was selling on there. So was it all a scam or something?

Also, that's awesome about all the rookie cards you have. Pretty neat. I have the Griffey Upper Deck, Biggio, Bagwell, and a few other top rookies. I believe I have Ripkin's as well. Not that it's worth anything but I also have Michael Jordan's rookie card..... for baseball.

Wow! I remember that. Almost bought some of the merchandise Demeco was selling on there. So was it all a scam or something?

I don't know if it was a scam as much as incompetence. I got my money back and the guy tried to make amends by sending a few cards, so I don't think it was a scam. He just didn't have his **** straight.

http://www.tristarproductions.com/schedule.html

May 31 - June 2 but you got to pay but its worth it!

HOUSTON TEXANS

Brian Cushing

Brooks Reed

TEXAS A&M AGGIES

Luke Joeckel

Cyrus Gray

Tony Jerod-Eddie

Sean Porter

Dat Nguyen

HOUSTON ROCKETS

Chandler Parsons

FOOTBALL STARS, LEGENDS & HALL OF FAMERS

Dermontti Dawson

Lem Barney

Dave Wilcox

Dave Robinson

BASEBALL STARS, LEGENDS & HALL OF FAMERS

Orlando Cepeda

Anyone know why Andre never signs at the TriStar shows? Is he under contract or something with private signings only?

Anyone know why Andre never signs at the TriStar shows? Is he under contract or something with private signings only?

I went to the signing he had at Verizon last year. They wouldn't let anyone take any merchandise in. All they gave us was a 5"x7" portrait of him and he signed it, and also got to take a picture with him. The woman said it was in his contract not to be able to sign any merchandise at the Verizon appearances.

I just moved back to Houston so I am hoping to start getting more opportunities to get stuff signed. I really want Cushing to sign an 8x12 photo I got off nflphotos and I would like JJ Watt and Andre Johnsons signatures on the 10 year ball we got as season ticket holders. I would prefer not to have to deal with the tristar signing banaza crowd though.

I collect all of the memorabilia I can get. Hopefully this year I can get some autographs on the Texans football we received last year. I have Texans memorabilia, but no autographs yet. For other teams or previous, I have signed Charles Barkley card, Billy Wagner baseball, Daniel Ewing Duke basketball picture, T. J. Ford Milwaukee jersey and card, Alex Smith 49er jersey, Adrian Peterson 2 footballs, home and away jerseys, Oklahoma jersey, magazine cover, jerseys for Joe Galloway, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, poster Demarcus Murray, Tony Dixon bb cap, Brandon Middleton former Lions picture. Photo ops with Adrian Peterson, T. J. Ford, Daniel Ewing, Thurman Thomas, Ivy Lee Brown, Gus Brown.

Back