Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Any Advice

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
Hey everyone,

Bengals fan here, but attached to the Texans. I was in the Army for 21 years and lived in Texas for 11 of those between Foot Hood and Fort Sam Houston. My oldest son was born in San Antonio and is turning 8 soon.

I raised him to be a Bengals fan (you know I have to originally be from Cincinnati for that to happen right?), but as he got older he understood being born in Texas and came to me a couple years back and said, "I'm a Texans fan Daddy !!!"

I went all into supporting him in that call and decked out his room in Texans gear, got him a JJ Watt jersey (beast), and he was even a Texans football player for Halloween. This year for his birthday, him and I will be coming to Houston to catch the Bengals and Texans game. We got tickets in section 608 in the front row.

Anyway, I saw where the theme for that game in "Salute to Service". What a coincidence huh? What do they typically do before or during the game? Is there a kids area that we could get there early and do some things before the game starts?

I'm just looking for some friendly advice so I can make the trip for my son a really good time.
Thanks for anyone willing to offer up some suggestions or advice !!!

I am sure you will get good advice from others but one thing to do is email the Texans, give them your story, tell them you are from out of town and want advice to make it as special for your son as possible. The Texans are a bureaucracy so sometimes things like that get lost, but if not they are also very generous reaching out. It's worth a shot. Good luck.

Wear your uniform to the game. You may be featured on the jumbo screen. Please give a shout out to me if you do for giving you this tip! :fingergun:

Im jk! Thank you for serving our country!

Wear your uniform to the game. You may be featured on the jumbo screen. Please give a shout out to me if you do for giving you this tip! :fingergun:

Im jk! Thank you for serving our country!

I know the wearing of the uniform outside of duty hours is somewhat frowned upon these days. It's very difficult to get my son into uniform even for pictures, though he will reluctantly. i guess at some point they wanted a low profile, but I was always supportive of the men in uniform, even during the dark days of Vietnam when it wasn't cool.

Nope, no wearing of the uniform unless there in some official capacity.
Now that i'm 3 years into retirement, it doesn't quite fit as well as it once did.
I heard about this thing called "fat and happy" and thought i'd give it a shot.
I'm halfway there.

I can't promise it, but if you will give your exact location in the stadium, seat numbers and everything, I know the main camera man that puts people on the big screen, and I will text him your seat info and as long as he is still the cameraman he will at least put you and your son on the big screen. Its way fun, so have your camera ready. Let's talk as it gets closer and remind me. But I would write the Texans too.

As far as places before the game for your son, I THINK they usually have a section set up between Reliant and the Astrodome for kids stuff. Not sure whats over there, but there is always something going on.

Great thanks. I will definately keep in touch with the big screen. My son would go nuts.

Thanks !!!

Tailgating groups here are always happy to welcome visitors! Most of them involve various levels of debauchery, but are also kid friendly. :) Check the week of the game in the sub-forms above for details.

Have fun!

Tailgating groups here are always happy to welcome visitors! Most of them involve various levels of debauchery, but are also kid friendly. :) Check the week of the game in the sub-forms above for details.

Have fun!

:foottap:

Lauren,

How about "Blue Crew" in the Northwest corner of "Platinum Lot" that welcome visitors AND are "kid friendly"!
;)

It should be fun. I expect a lot of "You need to talk to your dad kid" as he will have his JJ Watt jersey on and I of course will be sporting my Bengals Geno Atkins jersey. I think it's great that he picked the Texans to root for because I spent 11 of my 21 years in Texas and have many friends still down there that are Texans fans. As long as the Texans and Bengals aren't playing against each other, i'm rooting for them. I can't say that about most teams.

:foottap:

Lauren,

How about "Blue Crew" in the Northwest corner of "Platinum Lot" that welcome visitors AND are "kid friendly"!
;)
I started to specify Blue Crew, but erased it because I didn't want to leave anyone out. xoxo :) You know how much I love y'all!

It should be fun. I expect a lot of "You need to talk to your dad kid" as he will have his JJ Watt jersey on and I of course will be sporting my Bengals Geno Atkins jersey. I think it's great that he picked the Texans to root for because I spent 11 of my 21 years in Texas and have many friends still down there that are Texans fans. As long as the Texans and Bengals aren't playing against each other, i'm rooting for them. I can't say that about most teams.

Your kid will have a blast high fiveing ppl while you get all the dirty looks!

So we are headed down this Saturday for the game and my son is all sorts of fired up.
He has had trouble sleeping because he is so excited to see the game Sunday.

We will be getting down there early to walk around, check out the tailgating, and stop by the kids area. My son already has planned things to look for in the pro shop, so that will be a stop along the way as well.

Is the roof usually closed during the games ?? Not like weather is a concern with temps in the 70's this weekend, but just wondering. Looking forward to that as well, seeing as how I woke up to cold temps and 4 inches of snow this morning.

Again, I appreciate any and all thoughts !!!

So we are headed down this Saturday for the game and my son is all sorts of fired up.
He has had trouble sleeping because he is so excited to see the game Sunday.

We will be getting down there early to walk around, check out the tailgating, and stop by the kids area. My son already has planned things to look for in the pro shop, so that will be a stop along the way as well.

Is the roof usually closed during the games ?? Not like weather is a concern with temps in the 70's this weekend, but just wondering. Looking forward to that as well, seeing as how I woke up to cold temps and 4 inches of snow this morning.

Again, I appreciate any and all thoughts !!!

It could be 70 degrees outside without a cloud in the sky and they'll keep the roof closed.

It was a perfect 72 degree day and not a cloud in the sky for the Philly game and they kept the lid shut. This Sunday, there's a chance for some rain in the morning so the roof operator likely gets another day off.

It was a perfect 72 degree day and not a cloud in the sky for the Philly game and they kept the lid shut. This Sunday, there's a chance for some rain in the morning so the roof operator likely gets another day off.

A) I'm not sure there is a "roof operator"
B) I'm not even sure the roof is even operable anymore.

:toropalm:

Leaving in the morning and hope to drop by some of the areas.
I'll be the guy with the black Geno Atkins jersey and my boy with a blue Watt jersey.
Take care and good luck !!!

Leaving in the morning and hope to drop by some of the areas.
I'll be the guy with the black Geno Atkins jersey and my boy with a blue Watt jersey.
Take care and good luck !!!

Seriously, come visit Blue Crew Sunday morning... Somewhere around here is a map as to where we are a located. Unfortunately a compass and an azimuth won't work.

I'll look around and see if I can't find a map for y'all.

Here you go :)

Map

Seriously, come visit Blue Crew Sunday morning... Somewhere around here is a map as to where we are a located. Unfortunately a compass and an azimuth won't work.

I'll look around and see if I can't find a map for y'all.

I spoke with one of our tailgating Patriarchs because I could not find the darn map... Anywho, he couldn't find it here either.

He suggested that you go to FB:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/69198558677/

Try this map.

10805653_10205074247041071_1726961581795082871_n.jpg

Wanted to thank Bill and the Blue Crew for letting my wife and me come out and visit, y'all are awesome! Sucks the game wasn't as good as the tailgating.

The tailgating was amazing from what I could see but I couldn't get my son out of the kids area. He had a blast with everything they offered !! Thanks again for the advice we had a great time and did some damage in the pro shop !!

Thanks for coming out to join us. Believe me when I tell you.... it was more our honor for y'all coming to visit us!.. Y'all will always be welcome to join us!!

Glad the kids had a good time. Y'all are always welcome!!

I will keep checking in, but thanks.

I wanted to get out to the tailgate areas more, but my son didn't want to get off the slides, stop looking at the coast guard helicopter, and wanting me to take pictures of him in front of the likeness of JJ Watt. If it wasn't that, it was the xbox one tent, the football toss game, and the 40 yard dash.

We had an absolute blast and I have been talking all kinds of crap on the Bengals boards about how the Bengals front office should send someone to Houston for the sole purpose of seeing how to interact with a crowd. I enjoy the Bengals games and have tickets for the Monday Night game against the Broncos, but they are missing the boat.

Here's to hoping all of you had a great Thanksgiving !!!
Enjoy the holidays everyone !!!

Back