Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Antwaun Molden - CB E KY

J-Russ

Veteran
Strengths:
Very good size and bulk with long arms...A terrific natural athlete...Excellent timed speed with a burst to close...Has quick feet...Able to flip his hips and run with just about anyone...Is very self-assured with a short memory...Offers some versatility.

Weaknesses:
Not as physical as he should be...Too aggressive at times and can be fooled...He lacks great awareness...Average hands and ball skills...Does not get a very good jam at the line...Too confident and undisciplined...Doesn't play to his measurables.

Notes:
Began his college career at Toledo ('04) where he saw action in 13 games at both corner and safety as a freshman...Transferred down a level in '05 looking for more playing time...Also ran track at EKU...A bit of a Workout Warrior who does not play as well as he tests..An intriguing small school sleeper with ideal triangle numbers.

Antwaun Molden

Wish we would've gotten Tyvon Branch instead. He seems like a more physical and better talent at CB.

patbone21

Practice Squad
Ugh.

ESPN.com/Scout says Molden would be a great value in the 7th Round.

Molden is a small-school prospect who doesn't have ideal explosiveness and should have made more big plays at the Division I-AA level. However, his combination of speed, versatility and size makes him a good value in the seventh round.
:headhurts:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Molden's a former track star. Looking forward to Ray Rhodes coaching hi up.

Bio

patbone21

Practice Squad
Hope you're right, Hail Schaub.

I'm personally not anywhere close to a draft expert, but I hate the wailing and gnashing of teeth that goes on around here when we don't pick the guy that the internet coaches think is the "right guy."

Yankee_In_TX

Dance Lindsay!

I'm personally not anywhere close to a draft expert, but I hate the wailing and gnashing of teeth that goes on around here when we don't pick the guy that the internet coaches think is the "right guy."
Sometimes it's not even the "right" guy - people get ticked if you don't take a "sexy" pick.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
I really like this pick. I'm loving the draft so far though. Now to take a DE with our next selection. Who? Either Tommy Blake or Darrell Robertson.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Ugh.

ESPN.com/Scout says Molden would be a great value in the 7th Round.

:headhurts:
The NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN site has him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
At 6'-6'1" and 'bout 200 with sub 4.4 speed, he's got the measureables
as an outstanding athletic so looks like a man type, on paper atleast.
"Strengths:
Very good size and bulk with long arms...A terrific natural athlete...Excellent timed speed with a burst to close...Has quick feet...Able to flip his hips and run with just about anyone...Is very self-assured with a short memory...Offers some versatility.

Weaknesses:
Not as physical as he should be...Too aggressive at times and can be fooled...He lacks great awareness...Average hands and ball skills...Does not get a very good jam at the line...Too confident and undisciplined...Doesn't play to his measurables.

Notes:
Began his college career at Toledo ('04) where he saw action in 13 games at both corner and safety as a freshman...Transferred down a level in '05 looking for more playing time...Also ran track at EKU...A bit of a Workout Warrior who does not play as well as he tests..An intriguing small school sleeper with ideal triangle numbers.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/antwaunmolden.html

Hail_Schaub

Practice Squad

FWIW - aside from the video I found from Draftguys, NFLDraftCountdown.com, as site I follow that is pretty good, had Molden as one of the best remaining available players, tho admittedly there were some CBs they liked more. They had him ranked 13th CB overall in their rankings and (ahead of Terrell Thomas out of USC who went last round) and graded him as a round 2 or 3 prospect.

Mel Kiper is especially well known for not even watching tape anymore and I used to like Todd McShay and Scouts Inc, but they have increasingly been off the mark on some of their breakdowns. IMO.

So I am not worried. At this point, it';s clearly a guy they liked and good value here IMO.

Of course, we won't really know until he hits the field.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Kiper just said he liked this pick. Said he is raw but in a couple of years he could be a great pick. Said he is very athletic

Fox

Rookie
Kiper liked the pick. Said Molden has a lot of potential, but will take a year or two to develop.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Another athletic guy with good speed and long arms who's knock is his ball skills...

Sounds like Fred Bennett last year who we took ahead of guys rated higher by internet draft sites at the same position. He turned out pretty well didn't he? Here's to Molden yielding similar results!!!

I think he starts the season at NB and then depending on Dunta's recovery and Reeves progress he goes anywhere from # 2 - #4 on the depth chart.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Sounds like Fred Bennett last year who we took ahead of guys rated higher by internet draft sites at the same position.
He does compare with Bennett. And know we can see what Smth & Kubiak are looking for in a CB. Size (over 6') and speed.

Kc didnt necessarily go flash before cash just because they picked jamaal charles. they got two big uglies that filled needs and a corner and a safety who filled needs and are both good players

Porky

Hall of Fame
Good pick, and he went right where I thought he would. He is raw, and may be a boom or bust type, that's my only worry. Not the safest pick, but if he pays off, he could pay off big. I see him starting at dime and working his way up as he refines his technique. But he has all the measurables and tools to be a solid #2 CB.

Porky

Hall of Fame
This is what Foxsports says -

Another guy I had going mid-second round, Molden has the dreaded "track guy playing football" label. He's got tons of potential, but only started 12 games in college.

link

GP

Go Texans!
Regardless of which PLAYERS were picked...

I am very glad and satisfied that we went OL-DB-RB.

We needed help in those positions--YOUNG help, not aged end-of-their-career help in those positions.

I think this is the first year I am seeing our FO actually choose for position, and not just grabbing the BPA. You can grab BPA if you're the worst team(s), and you can grab BPA if you're the best team(s).

Us going for position tells me our FO and coaches think we're not a bad team, and we're not a great team either. We're in the middle, and maybe the next season or two is when we jump up to elite team status.

We can debate the order (going OL when we could have gone RB in the first round)...but we wouldn't have a decent RB prospect if we hadn't slid down to no. 26. So, in essence we filled our OL need AND got a RB, too.

Fairly good maneuvering, to me.

Brando

Hall of Fame
love this pick. this is shaping up to be my favorite draft class ever.
Same here. We still have the 4th round pick coming up and we know the Texans have a good history in the 4th round.

Depth. We are starting to see the Texans develop depth.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Not as physical as he should be...Too aggressive at times and can be fooled...He lacks great awareness...Average hands and ball skills...Does not get a very good jam at the line
...Too confident and undisciplined...Doesn't play to his measurables.

Notes:

Antwaun Molden

Wish we would've gotten Tyvon Branch instead. He seems like a more physical and better talent at CB.
You can just about say that for any CB coming out any given year. Great pick, Guys need to relax, we've got 1 of the best secondary coaches in the league.