Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Antwan Peek interview on 610

O.G.

Waterboy
A few points in case you didn't just here. He's agreed to the tenure the Texans have offered. Don't know all the details, but they (John and Lance) said it would be something in the neighborhood of 1st round money. Also, Peek will be playing Right Defensive End and want him in the size range in Dwight Freeney (265/270lb Range). He said he played last year at 262 with 18% body fat. He wants to play leaner. In the new scheme, he's suppose to rush every down. He will complete against Babin for the Starting right end position.

O.G. said:
A few points in case you didn't just here. He's agreed to the tenure the Texans have offered. Don't know all the details, but they (John and Lance) said it would be something in the neighborhood of 1st round money. Also, Peek will be playing Right Defensive End and want him in the size range in Dwight Freeney (265/270lb Range). He said he played last year at 262 with 18% body fat. He wants to play leaner. In the new scheme, he's suppose to rush every down. He will complete against Babin for the Starting right end position.

Thanks for sharing. I have no idea, but 18% body fat seems like an inordinate amount to be carrying around for a speed guy.

Kaiser Toro said:
Thanks for sharing. I have no idea, but 18% body fat seems like an inordinate amount to be carrying around for a speed guy.

Hence, the fact that he wants to play leaner. I think he can still be a good pass rusher if we simply use his abilities properly. He and Babin both had way to much thinking, and way to little just using their natural ability in that messed up D we tried to run. If they both simply play Dline, with a concentration on rushing the passer, we will be fine. I see Peek replacing Weaver on passing downs, with Weaver moving inside to tackle.

O.G. said:
A few points in case you didn't just here. He's agreed to the tenure the Texans have offered.
Excellent news, curious to see what he signed for if it's first round money.
O.G. said:
In the new scheme, he's suppose to rush every down.
This is the part that caught my eye the most. Having Peek motor for the quarterback on every down is something that he'll be great at. Like players have said, Peek has one speed...and that's full throttle.

Kaiser Toro said:

18% body fat is about what the average 25 year old male Non-Athlete carry's ....That number in itself tells me the guy isnt tapping into his full potential .... most elite athlete's are easily under 10% and some approach the 6-7% range .... but that is an extreme.

corrosion said:
most elite athlete's are easily under 10% and some approach the 6-7% range .... but that is an extreme.

That's way too low, 10-12%'s probably about right because the 6-7% range is for swimmers, runners, bikers, etc.... There's no way he could play at that range w/out getting injured. Fat = padding for joints and organs.

18%, quite a bit for an athlete. Unless your a lineman, I would think that any football player should play at 12-15, at most.

For reference, I'm 33, 6'4" 280 lbs........ somewhere in the neighbor hood of 25% body fat....

newbiefan said:
That's way too low, 10-12%'s probably about right because the 6-7% range is for swimmers, runners, bikers, etc.... There's no way he could play at that range w/out getting injured. Fat = padding for joints and organs.

didn't they say T.O. was like 6% body fat when he played in the SuperBowL??

Peek should be a nice RDE this is where he should excell and use his relentless attacking speed & strength.

I would also like to see the Texans give Babin a whirl at MLB, his side line to side line speed and short shuttle would seem to indicate he could play the position & come thru the middle on delay'ed blitz packages.

Wong will be late coming into camp, due to injury rehab so the WLB might be Greenwood with Polk SLB :twocents:

Peek will likely enter the season at 255-260 and that will be just fine. R. Smith coached J. Taylor who is a thin 245-250. Peek does need to lean up and really hit the squats, cleans, press. He should be just fine coming off the weak edge. I doubt he loses the competition to Babin unless Babin really gets after it this offseason.

Porky said:
Hence, the fact that he wants to play leaner. I think he can still be a good pass rusher if we simply use his abilities properly. He and Babin both had way to much thinking, and way to little just using their natural ability in that messed up D we tried to run. If they both simply play Dline, with a concentration on rushing the passer, we will be fine. I see Peek replacing Weaver on passing downs, with Weaver moving inside to tackle.

Peek also eluded to the fact that playing end in the 4-3 and going back to his natural positon at end allows him to be in a 3 point stance compared to an upright position at OLB, which is more comfortable to him and it also allows him to utilize his speed moves and techniques coming off the edge. Peek also said when in the 3-4 and in his upright position, by the time he would commit to going after the quarterback, the lineman would already be ready for the move he wanted to make since there was no element of suprise.

beerlover said:
Peek should be a nice RDE this is where he should excell and use his relentless attacking speed & strength.

I would also like to see the Texans give Babin a whirl at MLB, his side line to side line speed and short shuttle would seem to indicate he could play the position & come thru the middle on delay'ed blitz packages.

Wong will be late coming into camp, due to injury rehab so the WLB might be Greenwood with Polk SLB :twocents:

Ok Babin at MLB would not be bad to see, but he is our backup pass rusher, and I dont think Pettway or Andersen can really beat him out. Polk has not yet been resigned and he would play MLB. Orr is already penciled in as the strongside starter. I personally would like to test babin there since we could get a 3rd round DE or a first round super freak to handle the DE position that would be just as good. If not Troy Evans or a rookie should handle the MLB till Wong is ready. If Evans was just more athletic he would be a terror for our defense, but he should be cheap to bring back, a solid STeamer, and he can play the MLB position quite well since he is good in hash to hash coverage.

beerlover said:

Now that is an interesting idea (Babin at MLB) that I had not thought of. Maybe the new staff will give him a look there as you suggest.

newbiefan said:

didn't they say T.O. was like 6% body fat when he played in the SuperBowL??
newbiefan said:
I duno if that's true, but T.O. also doesnt play in the trenches against 300 lb. linemen.

Sorry, I just thought you meant for Football players in General.

beerlover said:

You might be on to something with Babin a MLB, I wouldn't mind seeing the experiment with that combo or Deshaun Polk there as well.

O.G. said:
Peek also said when in the 3-4 and in his upright position, by the time he would commit to going after the quarterback, the lineman would already be ready for the move he wanted to make since there was no element of suprise.

This is because Peek doesn't understand the 3-4, which is pretty succesful aroung the league. You've got 3 defensive linemen. with 2 OLB on the line. The hard thing to figure out from the 3-4, is who the five men are that will be rushing the QB. If the five are going to be the five from the defensive line everytime, then it isn't much of a surprise. The trick, is to get your man to think he has to account for the ILB, or the DB... If you rush him straight up from the line, chances are you're only suppose to occupy that guy. Take all his attention. Allowing the ILB/DB to get into the backfield and cause Havok.

O.G. said:
A few points in case you didn't just here. He's agreed to the tenure the Texans have offered. Don't know all the details, but they (John and Lance) said it would be something in the neighborhood of 1st round money.

Peek was offered the mid-level RFA tender ($1.6 million) which gives the Texans first right of refusal and compensation of a first round pick if he signs elsewhere. Don't get the term "first round tender" (the mid level tender) confused with first round money. Peek (if he in fact signed the tender) will make $1.6 million for one season.

Peek???????? If I remember right I always saw peek take himself out of th eplay by running 10 yards up field and leaving lane wide open. I hope he does better this year. Babin is not a MLB! I hope your right that Orr is already written in as our SLB, I think he is our best LB.

aj. said:
Peek was offered the mid-level RFA tender ($1.6 million) which gives the Texans first right of refusal and compensation of a first round pick if he signs elsewhere. Don't get the term "first round tender" (the mid level tender) confused with first round money. Peek (if he in fact signed the tender) will make $1.6 million for one season.

Thanks for the correction AJ

Coach C. said:
Orr is already penciled in as the strongside starter.
Sounds like a scoop to me Coach ! Orr was the starter last year after they benched Babin, and took advantage of the opportunity and played well.
But that was the 3-4, this is the 4-3.

thunderkyss said:
This is because Peek doesn't understand the 3-4, which is pretty succesful aroung the league. You've got 3 defensive linemen. with 2 OLB on the line. The hard thing to figure out from the 3-4, is who the five men are that will be rushing the QB. If the five are going to be the five from the defensive line everytime, then it isn't much of a surprise. The trick, is to get your man to think he has to account for the ILB, or the DB... If you rush him straight up from the line, chances are you're only suppose to occupy that guy. Take all his attention. Allowing the ILB/DB to get into the backfield and cause Havok.

I agree. You also have to look at the fact that the style 3-4 that the Texans ran was alot more complex that what Pittsburg, San Diego and other successful teams ran.

O.G. said:
I agree. You also have to look at the fact that the style 3-4 that the Texans ran was alot mor complex that what Pittsburg, San Diego and other successful teams ran.

Exactly, it was so complex even the DC who was in charge of it couldn't utilize it right.

TheOgre said:
The loser (Peek or Babin) for the RDE position should be our passing down LDE.

Thats why the Texans signed Anthony Weaver, he will be the LDE on all downs. Weaver also played LDE in the 4-3 at ND.

So this is a scenario of a project 4-3 Lineup:

M. Greenwood
J.Babin
S.Orr

A. Peek
R. Smith
S. Payne
A. Weaver

personally i think peek will end up beating babin out for the starting RDE job...babin is looking more and more like the single most biggest mistake of casserly's tenure here...not only is he once again not going to be a starter but we traded so many freakin picks to our rival for him...the man has been a huge dissapointment...playing him at MLB wouldn't be a bad idea if he wasn't so slow to recognize the play he constantly loses contain on the QB and you want him to play the most important position on defense...not a good idea if you ask me

There is no guarantee Babin wont play. He is very good against the run, better then Peek, and showed at the end of the season that when he is healthy, he can get to the QB. We will have to see how it plays out, but it looks like we wil be able to get a very healthy rotation on the D line with 3 starting quality DT's and 3 DE's.

O.G. said:

M. Greenwood
J.Babin
S.Orr

A. Peek
R. Smith
S. Payne
A. Weaver

I'd like to see Travis Johnson working more than Seth Payne in the DT area.

Yeah, I thought of that as well but put the vet in for the start of the season unless he is beat out in training camp.

O.G. said:

M. Greenwood
J.Babin
S.Orr

A. Peek
R. Smith
S. Payne
A. Weaver

IMO it should be like this. I don't really think Babin would be an ideal fit for MLB.:twocents:

LE - Peek (Babin)
DT- R. Smith
DT- T. Johnson (Payne)
RE- A. Weaver

WLB - S. Orr (Babin)
MLB - K. Wong
SLB - M. Greenwood

jgite said:
IMO it should be like this. I don't really think Babin would be an ideal fit for MLB.:twocents:

LE - Peek (Babin)
DT- R. Smith
DT- T. Johnson (Payne)
RE- A. Weaver

WLB - S. Orr (Babin)
MLB - K. Wong
SLB - M. Greenwood

I think you have your ends and OLB's switched around...

IMO I thought Babin did a better job than Peek did when he was in there. Babin began to rush the passer and put real pressure on the QB.

TexansJunkE said:
IMO I thought Babin did a better job than Peek did when he was in there. Babin began to rush the passer and put real pressure on the QB.

That is also because babin never draws a double team. Antwan the majority of the time had either a second lineman or the rb picking him up also. He is by far the more feared rusher from the other teams perspectives. He was also going against LT who are the best at blocking for the pass, RT are in there more for the run. You also notice that Mathis in indy has the luxury of having freeney on the other end taking the double teams so he is free to run. So you would expect some push from the LDE or LOLB

18%, quite a bit for an athlete. Unless your a lineman, I would think that any football player should play at 12-15, at most

Football is my game and I'm a player weighing in at 28%, I am planning on playing a little leaner this year. Light beer is less filling. now if I can just find a diet steak.

It is great that we get to keep Peek. He is a good guy with a heart for sacking the QB and causing fumbles. Dumb Capers just saw his potential and changed the defense to stop his progression. I think Kubiak will see to it that Peek is used to his full potential.

yeah with any luck the starting line-up for the defense should read something like this

peek/babin
smith
johnson/payne
weaver
greenwood
draft pick (second round)
orr
robinson
buchanan/faggins/draft pick (third round b)
brown/draft pick (third round a if jason allen is available)
earl

Back