Antrelle Rolle: Possible Cardinals release

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by ArlingtonTexan, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The Cardinals are expected to release FS Antrel Rolle this week. Analysis: The sides have been negotiating a contract extension, but cutting Rolle will allow the Cards to avoid paying his impending $4.1 million roster bonus. It may also very well cost them their starting free safety. Rolle, will become an unrestricted free agent and generate interest because of his play-making ability. The 27-year-old has 10 interceptions over the past three years.

kffl.com

I generally don't like this guy is being released so let's go after him threads. This is one of the few in my mind that makes sense. He is young enough at a position where upgrade can help us greatly and has some connection with the staff: Frank Bush.

2. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

This would be a good thing, I think.

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Antrel Rolle a Texan? Hell yeah. I wonder if Rolle is close with AJ and/or Winston? Maybe these Canes could do a little politicking? Couldn't hurt, though there are probably ex-Canes on every NFL team.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

He's scheduled to earn more than 8 million this year if the Cards choose to pay his bonus. As reported elsewhere, there is also no cap floor this year and the Cards may insist that he takes a cut, not an increase. If he is released, he will be looking for a very nice payday from the next team, especially since the IRS recently caught up with him for fudging on his 2005 and 2006 tax returns...........a cool 2.2 million.

5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

As he enters the final year of his rookie deal, Cardinals safety Antrel Rolle is due to earn a base salary of $8.11 million.

Then there's a $4 million roster bonus due next week.

Based on 2009 wages, the Cardinals already employ the highest-paid safety in the NFL -- Adrian Wilson, who made $7.039 million last season.

So Rolle, who has said he's not taking a pay cut and who has coughed up $2.2 million in back taxes to the IRS, could be hitting the open market in the uncapped year. Darren Urban of the team's official web site predicts that Rolle will be released.

Rolle, who said last month that he'd like to play for the Dolphins, was the eighth overall pick in the 2005 draft, three selections before DeMarcus Ware.

Meanwhile, Rolle is the second top-ten pick of the Cardinals during the three-year Denny Green era to unlock high-end escalators that eventually forced the team into a corner. Two years ago, 2004 first-rounder Larry Fitzgerald parlayed a huge cap number into a four-year, $40 million deal. This time around, a good-but-not-great career from Rolle has put him in line for $12 million, an amount that's unheard of for a safety.

So Rolle undoubtedly won't be back in Arizona absent a major pay cut, and he'll ultimately make a lot less than $12.11 million this year, and likely in any future year of his career.
    profootballtalk.com

6. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Of course it's early, but there are rumors of Arizona's Rolle bieng released:

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/02/21/two-weeks-of-decisions-set-offseasons-course/

If the Texans were to pick up Rolle that would free up a draft choice to go DT or CB in the first.

If I'm Rick Smith I'd get a check ready to go. If we could get a top notch FS to go with the "Piss Knocker" we'd get another 10 sacks easy!!!!!!

Although there aren't a whole lot of big name FA's out there I have a feeling that this could get interesting!!!!!!!!!!

7. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Sorry just saw this in the NFL sections. Mods feel free to delete!!!!

8. Big Poundcake

Big Poundcake Veteran

Yes please!!!

9. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

The Cardnials were dissappointed with Rolle and moved him around from CB to S as far as I remember. He had one good season so I'm not sure if that was a fluke or if he finally gets it. Expect to pay up if you want him.

10. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Wasn't his good season with Frank Bush as his coach?

11. TwoTrill

TwoTrill Rookie

Antrel Rolle to be released

The Cardinals are expected to release FS Antrel Rolle this week.
    The sides have been negotiating a contract extension, but cutting Rolle will allow the Cards to avoid paying his impending $4 million roster bonus. It may also very well cost them their starting free safety. Rolle will become an unrestricted free agent and generate interest because of his play-making ability. The 27-year-old has 10 interceptions over the past three years. Feb. 21 - 8:46 pm et

Do we think we should sign him if this report is true
    Pollard and Rolle will make a great safety tandem
    draft a corner and pair them up with Glover Quin and we have a good secondary

12. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Depends on for how much. I see him in the same mold as a Reeves FA pickup.

13. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I would imagine that the success rate of the FS depends mostly on the pressure created by the front seven. Arizona has a decent D-line, so 3.3 interceptions per year on that team isn't astronomical. Still, he's probably an upgrade to what we have, unless Barber or Ferguson mature and take a huge leap forward.

Didn't Frank Bush have a couple of years with this guy too? I would imagine his opinion matters most on this option.

14. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

If he's looking for a big payday then I have no interest. He's average at best.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  15. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Mature? Ferguson has been in the league 10+ seasons. If he hasn't matured by now, it's way too late. I'm not sure he will even be on the team at the start of TC.

As for Rolle, he probably would be an upgrade over Wilson, but it will probably come down to how much money, as usual. If we did get him though, it sure would change a lot of Mock Drafts. :D

16. TexanFan23

TexanFan23 HoustonTexans#1

Didn't this guy used to be a CB ? I haven't kept up with him, What's the situation with that ? If he was only moved to Saftey because of depth issues then would he be a capeable replacement for Dunta ? Or was he moved to Saftey due to lack of speed ?

17. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This piece presents some answers to Rolle's "transition":

Cardinals' Rolle adjusts to new role

18. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Depends how Eugene Wilson is recovering. You can't afford to have both. Wilson is a pretty good FS in his own right and Rolle will be commanding twice what we're paying him. If the FO doesn't like how Wilson is rehabbing and they decide to cut him and sign Rolle, I'll be onboard and excited. At the same time if Wilson is rehabbing nicely... I'll be excited to get him back on the field! We just signed EW last year to a 3 year deal, not sure he gets cut unless the FO thinks he lost a major step.

CB Kyle Wilson, FS Antrelle Rolle, SS Bernard Pollard, CB Glover Quin. Woo that looks nice!!

19. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Yeah, I hope Wilson comes back fine. I know these stats dont mean everything... but according to Pro Football Focus Eugene is rated fairly higher than Rolle, who in turn is actually well below Dominique Barber.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

And after seeing Darren Sharper was not tagged today.... I was a tad surprised to see him rated so well in this same site at his age. Though he was big for NO this year. I bet he is going to be expensive as well.

I just can't really get too excited about a CB duo of Sophmore Quin playing across from a rookie btw.... I mean the last time I got excited for a late drafted Sophmore CB.... Fred Bennett happened.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  20. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

32 teams X 2 typical safetys per scheme says you want to be in the top 64( ie that means you are starting material).
    Quartile 1:1-17
    Quartile 2: 18-34
    Quartile 3: 33-49
    Quartile 4: 50-64

Pollard is #16: Quartile 1
    Wilson is #41: Quartile 3
    Barber is #50: Quartile 4
    Busing is #75: outside top 64, #11 depth