ANTONIO SMITH how did he do

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HouSportsWriter, Aug 18, 2009.

?

what is he ranked in your opinon

1. 1 bad

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5 not so good

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. 6

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  7. 7

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  8. 8

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10 beter then mario?????

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. HouSportsWriter

HouSportsWriter SIAB

i did not see much highlights and i was thinking from what yall think from what higlights yall have seen whats he is ranks 1 being the lowest and 10 the highist
    :d::d::d:

2. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

He was out there for a very few amount of snaps.... he made a nice tackle on a run play I recall, Barwin was in on the tackle too.... too few snaps to give a ranking tho...I was very pleased with the play of our front 4 in the first quarter (which was when the 1's were in...mostly).

3. HouSportsWriter

HouSportsWriter SIAB

ok im sorry i was wondering since there was no highlights and he was our top free agent

edit

i ranked 5 becuse i did not see much and it was the 1st game so

4. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I voted a '1' but I thought the score was for the thread.

Errrrerybody say with me now:

Pre-season

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

That's funny. I voted 7 because I think he did pretty OK for his 1st preseason game as a Texan. I believe it was Smith that made a nice tackle at the LOS on the 2nd series.Showed some run-stuffing ability.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Fair question. Inquiring minds want to know. Smith did okay. I think he played - for the few snaps the 1st team D played - better than Amobi. I think the scorekeeps gave his only tackle to someone else.

I will say this; I'm not sold on the idea that Smith needs to move inside on passing downs. I like stout guys at DT and Okam showed he can get push up the middle on passing downs. Why not leave him (Smith) at DE?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  7. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I agree with you but injuries can ruin plans in a hurry, he needs to have reps inside and out just in case. Rest assured, our freshest most effective front 4 will be on the field at all times in the regular season, and I likes what I sees so far.

8. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

If Okam can play like he should, he would be a beast.

Imagine if we are in a goal line situation and need to stop the run. If that were the case, how about a D line that looked like this:
    Mario-Okam-Robinson-Smith

Man! That would be tough to run on!

9. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Not to mention Cushing hovering over the A gap

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Because you want to get your best pass rushers on the field on passing downs. That would be Mario, Barwin, Smith, and someone (Okoye????). Not to mention that Smith was a productive pass rusher from the inside during his years with Arizona.

11. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Yup. Cush at the A gap, Meco patrolling the middle, and the X man shoring up the front 7!

12. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Rookie

I gave him a 7.. I don't think he's better than Mario.. but I also believe he's above average! It was just his first preseason game and with a new team and style of play.. I think he will just get better in time.. not to mention the frist team D didn't allow any point's..

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Because if you're not moving him inside, then you're not getting the best out of him........the Cardinals realized this and that was one of the things that made him a highly sought after FA. Smith was tough to handle for teams inside, if you leave him strictly at DE you're taking away from his max production.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

15. GP

GP Go Texans!

I consider the dline to currently look like this:

DE1: Mario is Mario. Nothing else needs to be said here.

DE2: Smith is supposed to be the other DE, but with added duties as needed.

DE3: Barwin is a bonus, but can he realistically be a consistent producer?

Interior dlinemen:

Robinson is breaking through the line. He's ahead of the others, IMO.

Okam is showing some up-the-field power. Can he maintain it?

Bulman is a scrapper, and I consider him to be a lot like Robinson.

Travis Johnson. This is the biggest question mark on the dline IMO.

Okoye might not have the "it" that people hoped he would possess. However, what if he's going to be the guy that deflects attention from the other dlinemen during a play? He seems to always be just inches from hitting the QB's arm or from making the play. Which might make him a utility player who will never get the glory but who helps others to get there. He will get a sack. He will make tackles. But maybe he's just a role player, and not a game changer? The injury sucks, to say the least.

Cody is new to the team. He's not coming in with a lot of hype attached to him. I think Okam surpasses him, but that he's on the same level as TJ and Okoye. Which might get him more reps as we go along.

The most dominant lineup, IMO, would be:

RT --- RG --- C/QB --- LG --- LT
    Smith Robinson Okam Mario

On a long passing down, such as 3rd and long it would be a 5-2-4:

RT --- RG --- C/QB --- LG --- LT
    Barwin Smith Robinson Bulman Mario

DeMeco Cushing

Barwin can cover a TE or rush the QB, and the two LBs can blitz, or cover man, or fake a blitz and drop back into shallow zone as the QB tries to dump it off to a safety-valve RB or TE trying to run a shallow crossing pattern or slant or curl (hot route). Then you'd have two CBs and two safeties added to the mix.

So easy. When do I collect my paycheck from Bob McNair? j/k

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I know it's just one preseason game, but what I saw, was the possibility to put pressure on the OL, relentlessly. Okoye, Okam, and Cody all showed the ability to get push up the middle, in bursts.... if they can do that consistently, and DelJuan continues to provide the pressure he has, we ought to be pretty good defensively.

Hopefully this is because of a new philosophy that Kollar is pushing.... or Bush for all I care... & we'll also see some of this out of TJ. Then we'll have 6 guys in the DT rotation, if you also count Smith.

I know some people think TJ is worthless, and will say they've never seen TJ do much of anything..... I respond..... Amobie, Cody, Okam never showed much either, till this one preseason game.

Mario, Bullman, Barwin, Smith..... relentless, Offensive Lines are going to get worn down on a regular basis.

17. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I've noticed that when we go 5-2 it's almost always Ryans and Diles patrolling the middle. I've seen June put his hands down at the line as well as Cushing and Thompson. I don't know who else has put their hands down outside of the three LBs I stated. I saw Cushing out in coverage once but I do not know where everyone else. I was walking and turned my head just in time to see Cushing make an interception on the final play of practice. That was the only time that I'd actively seen him in a coverage play but I don't know if it was 4-3 or 5-2. I'll say this... I only noticed one other LB out there in space and that was Ryans.

Does what I said mean anything? I don't know. Just saying what I thought I saw.

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

In the game, I thought it was Demeco and Adibi in the middle positions.

19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Travis Johnson IS worthless. Seriously, how the heck are you going to constantly bash Dunta and then try to defend Travis Johnson LOL, that guy is a bum.

20. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Sick of the TJ bashing. He's a Texan, deal with it. Its a huge year for him contract-wise as well as career wise. The FO as well as Kubiak believes he can contribute this year otherwise he'd be on the street. He's NOT Casey Hampton nor Jamal Williams nor Shaun Rogers nor whatever Pro Bowl caliber NT you wanna throw out there. He's not the super DT we all expected when he was a 1st round pick yes. But he can contribute to this team in some capacity if he gets his health right.