Anthony Weaver makes $6,200,000.00 this year

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DiehardChris, Sep 30, 2008.

1. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Er, I don't really have a point. I'm just saying. I hadn't glanced at the player salaries in a couple of months, and this just kind of made my jaw drop. I know it's not news - but... my god.

I mean, my GOD.

Earl Cochran was finally healthy enough to be activated this week - and he actually got a little bit of pressure. At this point, I would be totally okay with Weaver putting his six-million dollar ass on the bench and letting Earl start. How could it turn out ANY WORSE than it has so far? We all know Weaver is not a pass-rusher, but at his BEST he's been mediocre against the run - so why not trot Earl out there? Couldn't hurt, right?

RIGHT??

I need pills. The defensive line is killing my soul.

2. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

Just another brilliant FA signing by the FO

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

This is on Kubiak, this is his boy.
    But for the record Rick Smith hadn't arrived on the local scene until after Kubiak picked up this guy in FA.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

As is common with almost any signing, the board in general was as excited to get this guy as Kubiak. Of course, the professionals are supposed to be better at this than the collective consciousness here.

5. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Wow, 1 million dollars a tackle...

6. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Its not like we could cut him and get that all as cap room. And its not like we're personally paying his salary. Frankly, I'm glad he's getting tons of McNair's money. McNair is a good businessman, and hopefully he is getting angry that non-producers are taking his hard earned money.

Sure he deserves to be either restructured or cut eventually, but as for now, his contract is what it is. Its not beneficial enough for us to cut him, so we've just got to hope he starts playing better

7. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

There is an Anthony Weaver on this team? Making over 6 mill this year?

Where is he - someone needs to point him out to me. I don't think I have heard his name called once during a game or even seen him on TV during the game.

Are you sure he is on the Texans?

(I would add a sarcasm smiley, but had no idea where to find it.)

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Lol, even if he added his total production from last year to this year, he's still only actually earned about 1/300th of that.

The david carr of the defense....just absolutely stealing McNair's money.

9. will742

will742 Nukkkk

I just threw up a little. :mcnugget:

10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Not defending Weaver at all here. He's been a total bust.

But still, hindsight comes into play here. If Kubiak knew beforehand that Weaver was going play like he is, he wouldn't have signed him. FA signings are just like draft picks, they are crap-shoots. You don't have a crystal ball in your back pocket.

IMO, FA signings, in general, are bad idea. No matter how good they were beforehand, once they get the big contract, there goes the incentive to perform.

I'm not excusing Kubiak here. It was his signing, and Weaver is making him look bad. But I'll best there's no one in the world that knows that more then Kubiak.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

actually signing a guy with 3 years of game film under his belt is totally different than drafting a rookie that has never played against the stronger quicker players of the NFL. Bobby Grier has done a miserable job scouting NFL FA players to date.

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I'm sticking with the Smiles, Lollipops and Unicorns theme.... At least Weaver is a Jimi Hendirx and Led Zeppelin fan... :)

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Figures...:hobie:

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

<------I'm sporting solidity with Celina.... BTW, nice Kubes, "Mr. Team Rainbow" :rolleyes:

15. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I think the 3 years of game film dictates how much money goes into the FA signing. I know there are exceptions, but for the most part, I think a player's best years come before he goes on the FA market. They don't ever play like they did pre-FA game film. Once they pocket the signing bonus, they know that's the last big pay-day. No reason to be hungry anymore.

16. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

its all about timing (off the field) he's a good guy blessed with outstanding gig so more power to him :)

if after that 05 season the Texans had any inkling at all that Mario Williams was going to be the pick (addressing DE) they could have upgraded another need, QB using money saved from Weaver signing & canceling Carr extension the Texans could have signed free agent QB Drew Brees [​IMG]

now I'd say he is tied to Richard Smith, who wanted him in the beginning. when one goes so shall the other :backsout:

17. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Yeah lets not look at what he did in baltimore, I mean that would not be prudent at all. Weaver has sucked and his first two years he was injured, add that to the fact that I am sure his numbers were completely inflated by the players he played around and then you add the Richard smith defensive scheme into the mix.

Again Hind sight ........................

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  18. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

And he is earning every single nickle...................NOT.

19. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

He was never that good in Baltimore. We gave him way to much money and over paid for what he was worth. Now we're having to stick with him even though it's like he isn't even out there on the field. Weaver is one of the wost signings that we've ever had.

20. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

As has Amobi? why isnt any one on the guy who said he wanted 14 sacks this year.