Anthony Alridge: "Think the Texans want me?"

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by BattleRedRaider, Jan 22, 2008.

1. BattleRedRaider

BattleRedRaider All Pro

2. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

The only thing I know about him is that he scores T.D.'s on a pretty regular basis.

3. 281

281 Hall of Fame

anybody who wants to play for the texans is a good man in my book.

4. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

I think he might be a good late round pick.

Any player that wants to play for us, we should pick up. lol

5. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I could see him being a Darren Sproles type player. The guy is FAAAAAAAAST. I could see him giving both Andre Davis and Jacoby Jones some competition for kickoff and punt returns. If he's there in the 5th or 6th round, take him!

6. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

i know he was part of a game where he and a reciever wer the first couple wr and rb to both get 300 yards in one game, or somthin like that, can anyone help me out, il try n check it out, but i might not get around to it............. well not soon anyway...

7. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

8. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

Stat Overview Rushing Receiving Fumbles
    YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

2005 9 39 4.3 10 0 13 295 22.7 62 3 0 0

2006 95 959 10.1 87 8 19 274 14.4 41 1 0 0

2007 259 1597 6.2 60 14 42 428 10.2 86 5 0 0

9. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

"Quick Six" is a play maker. Good acceleration, good vision, good hands, good escaping skills. At 5'-9" and 175 he's hard to spot coming out of the backfield behind a big offensive line. With his quickness, nimble footwork and vision he will exploit openings and break for daylight. Uses his blockers very well.

Fits the body mold of Warrick Dunn.

Watch his patience as he waits for the blocks to develop and then accelerate in the open. http://youtube.com/watch?v=6ff7fS06deQ

Here is an example of making people miss and great footwork. http://youtube.com/watch?v=jPW61dJaFi4&feature=related

He is also an accomplished band director.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=4AqX9lI5S-I

10. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

That's awesome! I could see him directing the Pep Band after he scores a TD if he becomes a Texan!!

11. GP

GP Go Texans!

I've been under a rock. Had no clue this guy was this good.

How he could be available in late rounds is a mystery to me. He has charisma/personality, speed, and great footwork.

A guy like this is sneaky good.

Most people shy away from the hometown pick(s)...but this guy seems to be begging the Texans to take him. We might need to start a P.R. campaign for him; get the attention of the Texans front office and let them know there's a guy who can fit the bill.

The thing I liked about this year's season was that we had speed guys (Andre Davis and Jacoby Jones) who really can fly. I remember how many times Domanick Davis was close to breaking big runs off, but he didn't have the straightaway speed once he got into the open. Aldridge looks like a burner, and I was impressed with his vision.

Hey, if nothing else...convert the guy into a DB.

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Lance Z. wrote in his blog that scouts he talked to during the East-West Shrine Game practices said Aldridge may have to convert to wide receiver because they think he's too small to play running back since he's only 5'9. But heck, Willie Parker of the Steelers is only an inch taller than him. I think Aldridge can make it in the NFL as a RB

13. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Very tempting and he looks like Texans material... I also like that he seems to be a "Chad Johnson" type.. ego, smack talk, but in a fun way...not a condescending way.

Unfortunately at 5'9" 175... he makes Reggie Bush look like Jerome Bettis.

Just from what little I see of him in those videos and what ive read about, id love to have him.. but I wouldnt use anything higher than a 6th rounder simply because he is not, physically, a fit in the pros.

His speed and agility, vision and patience all seem to be top notch.. but its a FACT that in the NFL you arent gonna be able to bounce to the outside and pick up big yardage, and you are GONNA get hit and have to break a tackle. No RB since Barry Sanders has been able to make people flat out miss a tackle.. everyone gets hit, and if you arent big enough to shrug it off, you arent gonna get anywhere in the pros.

Id jump at the chance to use a 6th rounder on him though.. for all the reasons i listed above, and because there is the off chance that he might be the RB that proves it is possible to make people miss tackles in the pros.

14. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

BTW, he's talking about TexansTalk poster gary.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Willie Parker ways 35 pounds more.

16. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I love how he switches the ball to be on the other side of defenders. Football basics and he's got it down to a fine SPEEDY art.

Don't villify me for what I'm about to say. I'm a Cougar alumus and am a diehard Cougar fan until the day they play the Longhorns. Hook 'em!

My problem with Alridge is that he's been completely shut down in games. TCU is probably the most glaring example of that. I believe that TCU had one of the better defenses that Alridge faced and it showed with him gaining 29 yards on 15 carries to go along with a single reception that gained 4 yards.

He had a monster of a game against Oregon. You won't hear any different from me. Almost 300 total yards. Then he goes and does it again against Rice. I have to sit back and think about this. I don't know too much about Rice's defensive unit. Eh. Ruck Fice! Our rivals! I can't help but think that speed was Alridge's primary weapon. As great as speed is for the NFL, you must have size to go along with it. I'm somewhat skeptical of smallish speedsters who face sub-par defensive units as a whole. Okay.. fine.. Willie Parker did it. Ladainian did it. They're a special breed. Is Alridge that breed? I certainly hope so (as a Texans prospective RB and me wishing a fellow Cougar success)! Unfortunately, I don't think he is that. He's just another Jackie Battle.

He does have great vision and doesn't juke very much. I love that. One cut and he's gone. He has a great understanding for the game of football, that's for certain. It's evidenced by his patience before catapulting himself through a hole by waiting for his blockers to get in place. He understands how to use his speed and that definitely could translate very well in the NFL. It just takes a special breed to do that.

I hope Alridge succeeds in the NFL.

17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

He could be a late round pick that spends a year on the practice squad and in the weight room getting better and adding some weight (not too much though, gotta stay fast). He looks like he can do the one thing that Kubiak seems to prize above all others. He looks like he can make that one cut and just go.

Project player with some upside. I like him and he'd be a nice story to read about.

18. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

In the Shrine game, I remember him being bottled up a few times. With the bigger and faster players of the NFL, his speed will be less of a factor. But think about him on kick offs, and running that screen that Dayne always gets caught from behind on. Wow!.

A 6th rounder, I have to think about it, I am seeing him listed as a 5th rounder, and then it is getting harder with this teams needs. But he would be an instant crowd favorite.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

His size..........weight (175 lbs) more than height puts the question of NFL durability foremost in my mind. When it's all said and done, it would not surprise me if he would end up as an undrafted offering. That would be the only way we probably see him in a Texans uniform.

20. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

You are right about facing good defenses.

I see him as a more athletic/quicker Kevin Faulk. Smaller but versatile enough to be a RB if needed but to also be a 3rd down pass catching back, return kicks, etc. I like the guys attitude and think this is the type guy...not saying he is Hester....that can change a few games for you with a few plays.