Another way to look at DeMeco Ryans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, May 26, 2006.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

OK, we know he is smart, the generalized scouting report is that you wish he were a better athlete:

See for example: DeMeco Ryans Scouting Report

OK, I haven't seen him play but the way this is written up is that he is just a smart guy who can get into the right places but you worry some that he isn't enough of an athlete for the NFL. A shorthand.

Well then, I was goofing around and reread something I read a while back. Before the draft so I wasn't paying particulate attention to Ryans.

It was the Pat Kirwin article that we talked about a while back about how he grades players in order to get a sense of the sort of athlete they are. Obviously, it has its limitations, but it just a generalized sense of things. And lookie at this:

Just something interesting I wanted to share.

Malloy likes this.
  2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The knock on Demeco as a poor or marginal athlete is just dumb. If people actually watch his games there is zero way to come to this conclusion. I find that a ton of people on mb's and even in the media just glom onto someone else's opinion to form theirs in many cases.

3. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Vertical jump= blocking passes or blocking QB view down field, reps= strength; but broad jump? Does that = taking a running start and then jumping at where you think QB will be? I am sure I am over looking something?

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I think it is supposed to measure "explosiveness".

5. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

bingo

6. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

That and just another general measure of physical ability, w/o a necessary exact correlation to a particular NFL technique. Kind of like the Wonderlic ... just a broad demonstration of intellectual ability, and one of many tests they do to test capacity that don't necessarily translate directly to the football field but are useful indicators nonetheless.

7. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I don't remember reading that he was a poor athlete, but I have read that he is not a great athelete, or is merely average to good. If he was a great athlete, he might have been a top 10 pick. I know you are high on him, and you have seen him much more than me. I hope you are right, because we got a steal if so. To me, instincts are more important in a LB than raw athletism.

Another interesting point is Mario is off the charts as a DE. I don't doubt his physical prowess, but we have to see if it translates to the field.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

If I don't get a chance to watch a prospect in actual game situations then I may have to use combine numbers/pro-workout & scouting services to make an intelligent (hopefully) decision. DeMeco I did get the chance to see & he was mostly a blure, I mean he was all over the field.

Texans fans are gonna love this guy, my hope is that he can eventually run the defense in similar fashion as another 2nd rd. pick did last year, taking the Seahawks to the Super Bowl, Lofa Tatupu (#45).

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

3-4 will or sam linebackers are rarely top 10 picks. Most top ten linebackers are edge rush types...but yeah sure there are exceptions. I probably shouldn't have used the word 'poor'.

10. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Exactly.

This kills me. It is a form of group think.

I am oft suspicious of the shorthand that gets spun on folks.

11. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Group thing, and the fact that alot of consumers (of news in this case) are not very critical of the stuff the digest. Sad but true. At least you are the embodyment of the good consumer, being sceptical, critical, and finding stuff like this from the past.

Nice dig! :)

12. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Especially when that opinion is based on nothing to start with.

Random poster, from 75 yards away:
    "I read player X's body language, and he was hanging his head. He's given up......."

Maybe somebody puked on the field and he didn't want to step in it. Maybe he got "racked". Maybe a lot of things, but the original "observation" frequently grows legs and is impossible to kill with facts.

13. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Others seem high on this linebacker also. I was disappointed when his name was called as I wanted an OT. When we got the two in 3rd and I started researching Demeco, I got impressed quickly. Man, if our first four guys work out and Moulds does what he is supposed to, Carr has even an average seaon for a QB, we may be in for a fun ride....

14. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

I would much rather hear someone's "stupid"opinion that he/she came up with than a "smart" opinion that is just a "me too on the band wagon."

15. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Is that a reference to what I wrote about Wand in training camp last year?(you basically quoted what I said about him in an article last Aug). That certainly turned out to be true ... although I was about 20-30 yards away when I noticed the beginning of his Dr. Pendry induced psychological free fall in camp.

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I think your valued opinion, experience, access and post count dictate that it was not meant towards you. But I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Vinny, do you feel that Demeco Ryans was the best player we chose in this draft?

18. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Post count - shmost count. Who cares about that meaningless number... kind of like the rep thing.

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

But it does suggest that you are not a random poster for our investigation. :spy:

20. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

tru