Another outsiders view of the Texans situation

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hookem Horns, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

His observation in that paragraph is my fear.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15932040&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18170&rfi=6

2. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

What is the delcotimes and how long did it take you to find this article?

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Man you really dug into the depths of hell to find that article, I've never heard of that site nor that writer before.

4. Hookem Horns

I have a newsgrabber on TexansTalk.com that finds new stories all over the net on the Texans and their rivals every hour. It's interesting seeing how writers across the nation view our situation. Delcotimes is a site for a local Philly newspaper.

5. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Based on that paragraph..im not going to read the rest of the article. Nothing about this team fooled any NFL team. Our coaches were predictable in everything they did.

6. Hookem Horns

That's exactly what he said.

7. He'll be a totally different QB in a west coast style offense.

8. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

eh.. in that paragraph he said that nothing Carr did fooled any NFL team.. which is true.. but its true of every aspect of the team, not just Carr.. and that falls on the coaches. I dont think thats a viable reason to say we must get VY.. unless he is also saying we MUST get A.J. Hawk, Hlatoi Ngata, Dbrickashaw Ferguson, Reggie Bush, Ko Simpson, Jimmy Williams..etc..etc.. to replace all the other players who didnt fool anybody.

9. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

I hope you're right if they decide to keep him.

10. Stop....you're scaring me. Quit it.

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Based on this statement from the article, we should not draft Young or Bush, but rather Mario Williams!! (or maybe A.J. Hawk?)

I've always said we'd need a defensive lineman before a QB. That's always the order of importance....right? idonno: ;)

12. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

I don't mean to. Since people are quick to say scrambling QB's don't last in the NFL, you can say the same thing about a QB learning the West Coast Offense. It's not the easiest offense to pick up. But if they do pass on Young and keep Carr, I hope he can be the exception rather than the rule.

13. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Whoa, I just had a flashback to the Lions message boards I used to frequent three years ago.

TEXANS84 likes this.
  14. yea I guess you are right, the coaches we had a pretty good offensive system. Carr should have been league MVP under that system.

Flash forward yourself to Steve Young from his days with the lowly Bucs or maybe flashforward yourself to Matt Hasselbeck when in his 4th year he threw for 15 TD's and 10 int's (Carr had 14 and 11.)

15. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

one can only hope....also, if we do switch to a west coast, VY would have just as much if not more trouble picking it up. obviously this is not an argument that can be made for those in favour of VY/against Carr...

16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I don't think this is a very valid argument. I'm not a VY honk but considering the West Coast offense consists of shorter throws, quick releases, etc I'd think VY would excel. Jack Pardee was on the other day and said he needs to be in an offense like the Colts where they spread it and let him throw those quick passes. I know theirs isn't the prototypical but it is a version.

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Don't you mean flash back?

Anyway, if David Carr ever makes the Hall of Fame, wins multiple Super Bowls, or even leads his team to a conference championship then I guess I'll agree with your point.

18. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

If I recall, people were trying this bit before the season with Aikmen or someone.

19. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

noooo you've got it all wrong ..... he need to build (or buy) a time machine, go forward in time to about 2012 and see how all these guys have worked out ... then come back and draft .... imagine Tagliabue's face when he reads the card ... with the first pick in the 2006 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select ... from Ohio State University, Linebacker, AJ Hawk .....

20. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Just a quick observation a little off the topic.

Alternative history is an interest of mine. Who knows if Julius Peppers would have excelled coming to an expansion NFL team?

There are few players who are so good that they shine on a bad team. We've have had a few. But you will never know.