Another 3rd string QB outperforms Carr

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by the wonger need food, Dec 19, 2005.

1. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

I know... there will be 1,000 excuses for the guy in this thread, but the fact remains that another 3rd string QB outperformed the Texans' "franchise quarterback".

Carr 22/33 for 150 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
    Navarre 14/24 for 174 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Carr makes the same mistakes week after week (runs into sacks, locks onto 1 receiver, will not throw the ball for his receiver to make a play on it) and people continue to make excuses for him. I just don't get it.

Fiddy and bigcarlos like this.
  2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Navarre stinks. Carr is just overpaid.

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Runs into sacks? Sure some of Carr's sacks are his fault when he runs out of bounds, never actually seen him run into a sack though. Locks onto 1 receiver? When has he had time to check more than one option? As far as throwing a ball for a WR to make a play, we really only have one playmaker at WR, AJ. Although I have seen AJ and Bradford drop balls this season that were in their hands.

4. Carr plays defense? That all sounds good for fantasy games and all, but Carr has the victory and the coaches took over the second half. Carr didn't really need to throw the ball the 2nd half, NAvarre did.

5. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

This is my point to the criticism that he "locks" into one receiver. He barely has time to look at option number one before the pressure comes.

6. the wonger need food

Keep'em coming. I know there are a lot more Carr apologists out there!

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

If you read some of my posts from preseason and much earlier in the year, I was not the biggest supporter of Carr. I have come to realize though, he is doing what he can with what he has around him. He has one playmaker at WR, a solid RB, and a horrible pass blocking offensive line. I am not going to give up on Carr and I don't think the front office is either. Sure he makes mistakes, but until I see Carr behind at least a decent offensive line, I am not sold on him being a horrible QB.

8. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Carr has been groomed for these butt whippings for years now. The failure to address the OL problem has resulted in what comes to him naturally. The fact that he can still go out and perform is a testament to his toughness and character. Not bad traits to build a franchise QB around.

9. We've seen what this offensive can do when we don't go to the quick hitches or 2 second drops. They fail time and time again. Carr has his good and his bad, just like every QB does, but until I see this oline upgraded then I see no reason to put it all on him.

I did see Carr take a shot yesterday in the chest and get right back up. He's a tough QB, a pretty boy, but still can take a shot.

10. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Breaking news: Wonger hates David Carr.

In other news: Water is wet,grass is green and the Steelers wear Black and Gold.

Texans_Chick likes this.
  11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

You forgot that the Reliant Stadium roof is closed.

12. z0rpAn

z0rpAn Veteran

Carr 66% completions
    Navarre 58% completions

Different teams have different systems. With 3 step drops you don't get great yardage and we aren't a team that constantly throws 10 yards down the field.

Carr played a better secondary, where Navarre played ours...

Maybe because you keep TRYING to bash him. Yardage statistics aren't everything. TDs-INTs for Carr don't mean much looking at our offense, yes he threw an INT, but who doesn't? Our offense is a rushing offense, thus unless the rush fails in the redzone, Carr wont get the opportunity to make a touchdown TD.

And as far as Carr running into sacks. The only way I can understand that is he is avoiding other pass rushers and making sure his own guys don't knock him down by being forced into him.

It would be nice if you actually knew how this team works before you go bashing individuals.

Jack Bauer likes this.
  13. the wonger need food

Not true, I like David Carr and want him to succeed. I've watched every snap of his pro career and think he is one tough SOB and has a ton of heart. But he is just not an NFL quarterback. He has the tools but is severely lacking when it comes to the mental aspects of the game. The guy is in his 4th season and still plays like a rookie or worse at times.

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I would suspect it is a line from the Breakfast Club.

15. Frills

Frills Veteran

I guess him calling the plays and having the team score the most points in a quarter are a tribute to his lacking mental compentancy at the position.

Just wondering who would you consider good NFL QB's at this point of the season?

16. the wonger need food

I know exactly how this team works. I (as most everyone on this board is capable of) can predict 90% of their play calls at the line of scrimmage. What does that have to anything? When he is actually put in position to make a play he throws the ball out of bounds instead of giving his receiver a chance to make a play, or he dumps the ball off, or he runs himself into a sack. I sat in the end zone yesterday and saw receivers open toward the middle of the field on several occassions, but he will not take his eyes off of his primary target and find the secondary guys.

17. the wonger need food

Yes, he did check off to the off tackle left running play with great success yesterday. And his hitch passes were on the money.

Who would I consider a good NFL QB... Anyone that can throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field. Or in the middle of the field. It took the guy 3 games into his 4th season to figure out throwing the ball away is better than running out of bounds for minus yards.

18. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Very observant on our parts to find the open receiver during a game BUT we're not members of the "Sack of the Week" club like our good friend DC is. If we are to condemn him for what he has had to work with as far as a line goes then perhaps a little time with an improved line is warranted before we judge him on his capibilities.

19. Frills

Frills Veteran

Name a few QB's you think are good. I'll help ya out, Brady, P. Manning, Big Ben...Those are the obivous ones...think a few mins, and come up with some others, surely there aren't only 3.

edo783 likes this.
  20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I think it's black and yellow, regardless of what those Steeler knuckleheads want to believe.

Gold is the color of the 49ers or Saints helmets. ;)

With regards to Carr, I think there are still some troubling tendencies that he's carried from college. Unfortunately, he did not have the luxury of getting drafted by an existing team that could develop his strengths while negating his weaknesses. Instead of sitting out a year (or more) to learn the NFL, he was thrown to the wolves behind an untested o-line.

His constant run-for-the-hills of his first four seasons has done nothing but distract him from becoming a better QB. He could be a broken player right now, because there were some instances yesterday that just screamed "bad decision".