Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Update

M

MarioWrecksIt

On the texans website andre said that the team doc said he thinks the PCL is completely healed which was the main concern and andre said that the other ligament was something he wasnt even worried about. He said he is going to push his rehab harder this week and is going to try to be on the field this week yet be smart about it at the same time. Its way too early to tell but its looking good at this point. Keep your fingers crossed....

Link to Andre Johnson clip

Kubes said Dre is healed and that he'll have to see if Dre can be game ready during this week. We'll know more Thurs.

As much as I would like to have AJ back, that would be a week or two extra quick IMO. Keep him out this week at least to error on the safe side. He is to important long term to the team to rush him back.

As much as I would like to have AJ back, that would be a week or two extra quick IMO. Keep him out this week at least to error on the safe side. He is to important long term to the team to rush him back.

I agree but if the team doctors and trainers say he is cleared to play and is completely healed then ill take their word for it cause we desperately need him. I know this might not be an absolute direct correlation but were 2-0 with him and 0-2 without him. Im not sayin....im just sayin

Get Ahman, Jacoby, and Jerome back and let Andre build up his muscle for one more week. Even though we're losing without him, I'd rather have him healthy for the whole season rather than coming down with Mathisitis.

Get Ahman, Jacoby, and Jerome back and let Andre build up his muscle for one more week. Even though we're losing without him, I'd rather have him healthy for the whole season rather than coming down with Mathisitis.

Jacoby is out for another week, but I think we can miss him(Andre) another week AS LONG as Ahman is ready to go...but if the doctor says he's ready, and he says he's ready, than most likely he's ready.

It sure would be nice to have a bye week though right about now.

As long as Andre doesn't have an increased chance of re-injury..then I hope he will be playing. I don't want him on the field if he's impaired by it, but we need him badly.

Cleared to play or not, I don't want AJ on the field unless he's 100%. He has paid his dues, and he's owed that privilege.

Mathis better have his soft ass back on the field, though. :bat:

This is great news......hopefully Kubiak doesn't throw the other Andre back on the bench.

I mean seriously what has Kevin Walter shown anybody? (I'm tired of hearing the CBS broadcasters saying how Walter reminds Kubiak of Ed McCaffrey.....Kevin Walter IS NOT Ed McCaffrey) Andre Davis needs to be the #2.

I think Walter is a good reciever. He has made some clutch catches for us. The problem is Davis seems to have more speed and just as good a set of hands, which moves him ahead IMO. We have good recievers and TEs on this team, we just need a RB now and we'll be in fine shape.

Andre Davis has showed me something these past two weeks. Frankly, he is playing way beyond my expectations. When everyone is healthy, I think he has earned the starting nod ahead of Walter. I say start the two Andre's, with Jacoby the #3, and Walter the #4. Sorry, but Walter doesn't impress me as anything more than a chain mover, whereas Jones and Davis are playmakers....big difference, and that is why they both should be ahead of Walter when all is said and done.

Walter runs accurate routes and has grown on me. When Schaub goes his way it is going to be a chain mover. I did not see it that way in the pre season, but do now.

Davis looks good as a replacement for AJ in that role. The question one has to ask is do we get anything out of Davis running Walter's type routes? Does he have the patience to do so? I think we have four very good WR's at this moment for Kubiak's system.

Jacoby is out for another week, but I think we can miss him(Andre) another week AS LONG as Ahman is ready to go...but if the doctor says he's ready, and he says he's ready, than most likely he's ready.

It sure would be nice to have a bye week though right about now.

Jacoby is out for another week? Not sure where you are getting that. He will be likely to practice as of tomorrow per Kubes:

Kubiak said he is optimistic cornerback Fred Bennett (hamstring) and receivers Jacoby Jones (shoulder) and Jerome Mathis (lower leg) will return to practice Wednesday. He also hopes running back Ahman Green (knee) might return later in the week.

I don't know much about Davis, but I wonder why he has been with 4 teams in 6 years? (He was a guest on ABC's Inside the Game on Sunday night and I heard them say that.) I feel he has contributed when we needed him to, just don't know why he hasn't been able to find a team to stay with. Any knocks on the guy? Why won't a team keep him around?

I don't know much about Davis, but I wonder why he has been with 4 teams in 6 years? (He was a guest on ABC's Inside the Game on Sunday night and I heard them say that.) I feel he has contributed when we needed him to, just don't know why he hasn't been able to find a team to stay with. Any knocks on the guy? Why won't a team keep him around?

He might have just started slow and then run into a numbers game when he did pick it up. Maybe he was with teams where he didn't get the coaching he needed. Then again it seems like every year we send some WR packing that we all wish we could keep. Some people wanted to keep Sloan Thomas a little longer and others wished we could have hung on to Derrick Armstrong. WR seems to be a well stocked position in this league with a few great ones on top and then a huge sea of "pretty good" guys below that.

Then again maybe he's just had a couple of great games and he's not as good as he's looked the past two weeks. It's possible. Remember, even Corey Bradford could make that ridiculous acrobatic catch every now and then.

Jacoby is out for another week? Not sure where you are getting that. He will be likely to practice as of tomorrow per Kubes:

Kubiak said he is optimistic cornerback Fred Bennett (hamstring) and receivers Jacoby Jones (shoulder) and Jerome Mathis (lower leg) will return to practice Wednesday. He also hopes running back Ahman Green (knee) might return later in the week.

Just to add to that:

Trainers apparently have no idea what's wrong with his sore leg. X-rays and an MRI have shown nothing. But there's no indication that Mathis will be back on the field this week. Kubiak effusively praised Andre Davis, Kevin Walter and David Anderson after Sunday's loss in Atlanta. Nevertheless, the more he talked about being able to count on those guys, the more it seemed he was also talking about Mathis.

''He's been very sore in his lower leg and but everything that we've checked out has been OK,'' Kubiak said. ''So no reason not to think that he won't be back out there this week, but, you know, we've been through this before so we'll wait and see. I just know that (head athletic trainer) Kevin (Bastin) and them are working extremely hard with him and hopefully he's back this week out there contributing.''

In another news from Kubiak's Monday press conference, he sounded hopeful that Jacoby Jones and Ahman Green could play this week.

''I think he's close,'' Kubiak said of Green. ''Will he be out there Wednesday? I don't know. I know he's doing better. I spoke to him earlier today; we'll just continue to treat him and we'll know more when we step on the football field Wednesday if he comes out there and practices.''

Of Jones, he said: ''Jacoby is better. We're hoping, we've got our fingers crossed that he may play this week. We're not going to know. He had a procedure done today, I don't know exactly what it is, where they inject the shoulder, from a healing standpoint. And he is making progress. We've got our fingers crossed that he will be a part of everything we're doing this week, but probably won't know until we put him on the practice field.''

Kubiak was non-commital about a change at cornerback, saying: ''Well, we continue to evaluate what we're doing. We definitely, we had a quarterback play really good against us and we made some mistakes back there and gave some free plays, free first downs, four of them I think to be exact, with some penalties. We've got a young player we think a lot of in (CB) Fred (Bennett), but Fred has, in all honesty, in the last few weeks, hasn't been healthy with his hamstring and hasn't been working. He did get back to work some Thursday, very good on Friday last week. Fred's got to learn to practice like a pro and prepare like a pro and he's on his way to doing that, but if we can get him healthy, we'd definitely like to get him some playing time. Where that's at, whether it's nickel, how we do that, we'll see. But it's a matter of him stepping to the plate and showing he's ready to play, also.''

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/10/you_can_hear_th.html

He can make the highlight reel catch, but he also can drop a perfectly thrown ball at the worst possible time. He just hasn't done it here . . yet.

After reading this little snippett from Monday's quotes, I think it's obvious Kubiak is getting fed up with Mathis' wussyness.

He’s been very sore in his lower leg and but everything that we’ve checked out has been OK. So no reason not to think that he won’t be back out there this week, but, you know, we’ve been through this before so we’ll wait and see.

I hope Mathis gets his stuff together.:wild:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3713

He might have just started slow and then run into a numbers game when he did pick it up. Maybe he was with teams where he didn't get the coaching he needed. Then again it seems like every year we send some WR packing that we all wish we could keep. Some people wanted to keep Sloan Thomas a little longer and others wished we could have hung on to Derrick Armstrong. WR seems to be a well stocked position in this league with a few great ones on top and then a huge sea of "pretty good" guys below that.

Then again maybe he's just had a couple of great games and he's not as good as he's looked the past two weeks. It's possible. Remember, even Corey Bradford could make that ridiculous acrobatic catch every now and then.

True, but it's pretty clear that Andre Davis >> Corey Bradford.

What you guys have to realize is that some guys can't be the #1. I think Davis and Walter both have upside, but as #2's. I like the idea of using JJ in the slot, and when Dre comes back and fits in the #1 spot, it takes the focus off of our #2's ()trying to be #1's) and they can perform better. I think Walters is a good possesion receiver and Davis showed this past week what he can do. Think about Marcus Colston in New Orleans. He was a great #2 last year when they had Joe Horn. Horn leaves and now Colston is the man and he's not doing much. The rest of the league has figured out how to handle him. It's the real cream of the league (Dre, Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, etc). that rises to the top. That's why they are #1's! Defenses throw their best stuff at them and they still excel.

Yeah I hear about him coming back this week is a possibility. I got that from his initial report though, it said 2 weeks and it sounded sure that he would be out at least 2 weeks.

I heard he was always injured.

Cleared to play or not, I don't want AJ on the field unless he's 100%. He has paid his dues, and he's owed that privilege.

Mathis better have his soft ass back on the field, though. :bat:

I agree on both points. :howdy:

Sorry, but Walter doesn't impress me as anything more than a chain mover,

Walter is no. 2 because he's a possession WR. That's his job and we need that roll fulfilled, as well.

That being said, Davis is turning into a stud and I wouldn't mind seeing Kubiak platoon the no. 2 spot and even throw some 3 receiver sets out there. Along with OD and healthy Green, the offense could make some noise.

As much as I want AJ, JJ, and JM back I am more concerned with the our run game. Schaub had over 300 yards passing Sunday with basicly, who we had listed as our #1, #3, and #4 WR out. If Kubes had a RB who could pick up two yards when we needed it I don't think any of us would be wanting AJ to rush back this weekend. I know alot of those passing yards came when we were behind, but how many times would have a 2 yard gain from Dayne meant the difference in the game? If AJ and Green are cleared to go I will be a happy camper, but right now I don't know that we can count on either being ready to answer the bell. I am anxious for the day we can line up AJ, JJ, and AD with OD and with AG and MS in the backfield.

As much as I want AJ, JJ, and JM back I am more concerned with the our run game.

Me too. I was worried in preseason when Green did OK, but the rest of our backs were getting stuffed in the backfield. It seemed they were lining up in a lot more single back sets than at the end of last year, when Dayne had his success. Part of this was probably them having to play catch-up, but I think Dayne needs Leach to lead block for him.

Having our WR's HELPS the running game. Without Andre, teams focus on our running game and do not worry about the receivers. That is why you see A Davis always with one on one coverage.

For the life of me i can't understand why some of you are still down on Walter. Dude has done nothing but catch the ball when it's thrown to him.

He's our number 2 b/c he does the dirty work in this system which calls for moving the chains with tough catches in the middle as a possession WR & basically playing fullback in some running plays, all of which he's done pretty well thus far.

JJ's probably not ready for the latter, & with Davis' history, he probably can't do it.

For the life of me i can't understand why some of you are still down on Walter. Dude has done nothing but catch the ball when it's thrown to him.

He's our number 2 b/c he does the dirty work in this system which calls for moving the chains with tough catches in the middle as a possession WR & basically playing fullback in some running plays, all of which he's done pretty well thus far.

JJ's probably not ready for the latter, & with Davis' history, he probably can't do it.

Because he doesn't have the stats or won't make sportcenter. Walter is big piece of this offense and nobody wants to see it.

Walter has done a good job this year but he isn't a legit #2. He would probably be the first to tell you that. He is a really good #3 though.

maybe we could elevate Davis to #2 and Walter to #3 and then have JJ and Anderson fight it out for playtime when they go four wide.

I just hope AJ is OK. The Texans need him. Schaub needs him. We all need him.

I'd rather have Walter and Anderson fight it out for PT.

When Jacoby was healthy he was more of a factor than Walter was.

Originally Posted by Porky
"Sorry, but Walter doesn't impress me as anything more than a chain mover,"

I wish we could say that about our running game.

Let's see:

Move the chains = better field position = more opportunities to score points = more wins

Sounds okay to me.

But, I am intrigued by a single back offense with Daniels at TE and Johnson, Davis, & Jones at WR. I think there's alot of potential there.:fans:

wow... 5 posts in a row with Kevin Walter (not Walters) having his name spelled correctly! it looks like it's not only the football team that's getting better!

Walter has done a good job this year but he isn't a legit #2. He would probably be the first to tell you that. He is a really good #3 though.

maybe we could elevate Davis to #2 and Walter to #3 and then have JJ and Anderson fight it out for playtime when they go four wide.

I just hope AJ is OK. The Texans need him. Schaub needs him. We all need him.

Walter is well-rounded & he'd likely have as many TD's as AJ if Schaub hits him in stride in the KC game & Salaam doesn't tango with Abraham in the ATL game in the redzone. How's that for a guy who isn't a "legit" #2?

Like Kubes said he's a "lunch pail" type guy & you've got to have a couple of those guys on your team.

I think that some of you get caught up in thinking that a legit #2 WR has to be a Reggie Wayne type guy, when in reality, most #2 WR's in the NFL are of the TJ housmanzadeh type, tough, physical worker-like type dudes who play with a chip on their shoulders b/c they were undervalued/underappreciated for 1 reason or another.

Not saying walter is completely in that mold, but he's got similar qualities.

It is nice to have a discussion about a receiver being called a #2 or not that has done everything asked of him, Walter.

Davis showed what he can do the last two games. Throw in AJ and JJ and when they get back on the field and we have 4 legit WR in the NFL. who could have said that before the season started.

:fans:

Walter does remind me a lot of Joe Jurevicius. Not flashy just gets the job done.

On the texans website andre said that the team doc said he thinks the PCL is completely healed which was the main concern and andre said that the other ligament was something he wasnt even worried about. He said he is going to push his rehab harder this week and is going to try to be on the field this week yet be smart about it at the same time. Its way too early to tell but its looking good at this point. Keep your fingers crossed....

Link to Andre Johnson clip

get your own ava, newbie:splits:

Back