Andre Johnson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

From the NFL network -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000079704/article/is-andre-johnson-declining-for-houston-texans

Now granted, these are just opinions from the NFL network, but over the years, Mike Lombardi has been pretty fair with the Texans. But I myself was kinda surprised that Schaub couldn't find AJ on a night when Revis wasn't playing.

2. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Its fair. In my eyes, AJ is not even close to the receiver he was in the past. The injuries he has suffered (and the resulting surgeries) have really taken their toll.

He is still a good receiver, just no longer great.

3. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

As much as it sucks to admit it, he's right to a degree. Big players show up in big games and 'Dre all but disappeared on Monday night. Those 2 gimme balls he dropped should have never happened. That was him, not Schaub. 'Dre looked pretty frustrated with the way that he was being covered. He was looking defeated after one play where he was in the back of the end zone. He should have made adjustments to his game since Cromartie had a good game plan coming in.

I'm not saying he doesn't have anything left in the tank, but he is on the decline. He's 31 and that's no spring chicken in professional football. Losing a step at his position is detrimental to his game & the team. I'm not saying bench him, but we better have his heir apparent on the roster or draft him next year.

4. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Mike Lombardi said that.

The next time he gets something right about the Texans will be his first time.

He's a generalist that has a terrible feel for the Texans...often what he writes is completely off base.

As for these comments, I'm not sure how he can judge that from the games to date. The Texans haven't had to target AJ much because they've had so many leads, playing against bad offenses that they need to take few risks against. They are also not playing him as many snaps, working the new guys in.

So that combo of things means few needs to unleash AJ this season so far. There was a little bit in the Denver game, mostly because they were facing the Peyton, wanted to get some points on the board, maybe take a few more risks.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Instead if blaming Andre or any particular player it sure seems Texans have yet to find their rhythm. This offense is pedicated on timing & so far either teams have found a way to be desruptive or it's still early in the season. Watch the film it doesn't lie, can anyone say this is a well oiled machine? The defense has played ahead of schedule now without Cushing this will cause a drop off on defense, so I'm hoping the offense regains both timing & rhythm Andre included.

6. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

In my opinion, Lombardi's right, Andre definitely isn't the same, and probably will never be what he was.

But that doesn't matter, because we're 5-0 still.

Andre has given us his entire NFL career, years of spectacular seasons of the best WR in the league. And now it's the rest of the team's turn to carry him, and that's what's been happening so far.

Andre's more frustrated about it than anyone else, you can see it on his face. He'll likely continue to decline. But you can guarantee he'll have something special left in the tank for when it matters most this season.

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think it's hard to say what's going on. I certainly don't think Lombardi has the necessary information to say AJ is in decline. Enough to suggest it's possible? Sure. As as has been pointed out the team just doesn't rely on him the way they once did but when he's needed he's been there, at least up until this year. This year he's mostly been quiet and we can't say yet whether it's because of AJ or because of the way the games are shaking out. The Texans seem to be trying to keep him healthy for the stretch run and they seem to be doing it by using all their other weapons. I don't see what's wrong with that other than that it creates the situation we're in now where everyone wants to know what's wrong with AJ.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Veteran

FINALLY. I was waiting for Lombardi to anti-jinx him. First he called the D soft last year, now he'll say "Dre is done, it's time.

9. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Doc called this one as soon as he found out the procedure that Andre was having done. He said that there was a good chance he would never get his explosion back.

10. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

He had a vasectomy? :htown2atx:

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

If his production doesn't improve, would the FO be justified in asking him to take a pay cut next season? For a team with salary cap issues it'd be hard to continue paying him at an elite level when his play on the field doesn't translate....

12. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

No they wouldn't. Until they find someone even close to his talent level he is the best we have. And please don't say Lestar Jean.

13. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Schaub has been money thus far, so I won't say a word about the pass game. I think the run game averaging less than 4 yards a carry is the biggest "problem" right now. There hasn't been much to bicker about when it comes to throwing the ball, but running the football is not top notch currently.

As the season wears on, the run game will get better, and the offense will kill ever more. This is why good teams don't peak in October.

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i seem to remember that as well. andre opted for the short term fix with a reduced effectiveness long term. he certainly has looked a lot slower and shows zero explosion. what i'm having more trouble with is he doesnt seem like himself in less physical ways, almost looking dejected out there. he even said as much week 1 if i remember correctly.

15. False Start

False Start On # 69

I don't care what writers say,especially Lombardi. Dre is still better than a majority of the WRs in the NFL. Has he lost a step? Sure. Hes still one bad dude though. He is and always be my football player ever.

[​IMG]

16. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Andre was targeted 10, 4, 4, 6, 6 times so far with 2 red zone targets and one conversion for a TD.

His total targets are down from his average weeks 2-5, which is likely a result of defenses taking away AJ in favor of our TEs whose targets are up this year on average, and Kevin Walter, who has almost twice as many targets as this time last year.

We'll see how the next games go.

17. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

If you don't think Rick Smith has the stones to make AJ the next salary cap casualty, you must not remember what he did with Demeco Ryans.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

AJ has dropped passes worth 120+ yds and 2 TD's so far, i.e. enough to close the gap on the stats Lombardi is using. That is where he has been off and it doesn't have anything to do with his legs or age. Throughout his career he has hit these little dropsy streaks and then he snaps out of it and starts making circus catches.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

As I've posted before, the semitendinosus muscle which was released, may be small but it has been shown to contribute to explosiveness and stability of the knee.

Here are comments I posted in the past week.:

I am certainly in no way advocating that we cast AJ aside. I am only saying that in order to be valuable, he may need to play within certain parameters due to presence of some physical limitations and for purposes of minimizing risk of re-injury. To date, his play and the play-calling seems to be consistent with the observations.

20. Kthx

Kthx All Pro

I know at least one of those TD drops was the result of the CB covering him hitting the ball with his foot and knocking it out of his hands at the last second. Either way I hope you are right, it seems like some of the drops this year are throws that Jacoby could have caught. AJ just looks different out there, his body language, some of the things hes said, hes just down on himself. Hope hes a Texan till he retires though, I wasn't happy with getting rid of Meco and I wouldn't be happy with cutting AJ either, money and cap room is one thing but players notice how you treat your former all-stars who have lost a step.