Andre Johnson wants Kubiak to stay

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Video from Chron.com

Can't imagine he'd say anything different but in sum he says, hey I remember how it was, and how much different it is now. Also says that the coaches have good game plans but the players have to play.

I'm guessing he doesn't want to learn a bunch of new offensive terminology or get a non-pass friendly coach.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Or maybe he's telling it like it is.

buddyboy likes this.
  3. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

What else would he say? Kubiak is still his coach whether he likes it or not. I don't think I would read too far into this.

4. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Or more likely he doesnt want to be the one to rock the boat.

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

He's having a probowl year, is in the midst of back to back 1000 yard seasons, is regarded as the best WR in the game, and generally having a productive career.
    Why would he want Kubiak to leave?

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Whatever he thinks, I don't think it's his nature to criticize the coaches.

7. Texans_Chick

No, I definitely think that he is telling it like it is.

He also mentions in response to a question that he doesn't believe Kubiak has lost the lockerroom at all.

I can't remember if it was Kubiak or AJ who told the story about how when Kubiak first came on board, he asked AJ if he wanted to catch 120 balls a year, and how excited AJ was to hear that kind of talk.

I'm just thinking that Johnson doesn't want to go through learning another system, especially one that might not be as friendly to his position as the current one.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

What I get from it is he realizes that the staff has put them in position to win most of these games - Jacksonville not so much - Had the players MADE A PLAY be it offense , defense or special teams - they make a play here or there and they win - they dont ..... its on the players.

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

AJ isn't a guy to ruffle feathers.

Lets see what Dunta thinks, not that he has the right to comment or anything... :)

10. Texans_Chick

Typically, I do not like watching many of the Chron.com videos, but I think this one is worth watching.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Dunta just wants to get paid more than he's worth , dont think it matters who writes the check.

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

he isn't going to come out and openly root for change up top...I've rarely seen that done in this league. You have to get pretty awful to have the players call for the coaches head.

13. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Come on. Kubiak hardly uses Johnson as much as he should. Everybody knows that.

And, AJ is such a special player, that any coach would DESIGN a system AROUND him. So it's not a matter of him having to learn another system.

14. False Start

False Start On # 69

Its hard to read Dre because he never changes his tone, so I dont know what to think. :thinking:

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Saying he wouldn't come out and support a coaching change is kind of a worthless statement, IMO. He doesn't have to say anything at all, either way. The fact that he's offered up this much is because he wanted to. The reporters ask the questions, but he's dodged plenty of them over the years. If he wants to say something, he says it in his AJ way. If he doesn't want to say anything, he doesn't. The guy can be the most boring interview ever, when he wants to. Which is one of the reasons I dig the guy. He just keeps his mouth closed and kicks ass.

But I guess when he does bother to say anything that doesn't jibe with fan sentiment, the fans just brush it off. OK, cool.

16. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Wow! Has losing turned us all into cynics? Now, I can rock with the firing/keeping Kubiak opinions, the anger at everything Texan from water boys to owners, the heartbreak over yet another season that sucks, and even not wanting to think about going to another meaningless football game - but, honestly folks, if AJ actually speaks, perhaps we should give the poor guy the benefit of the doubt. He isn't the most verbal of folks and if he actually makes an effort to open his mouth, just maybe he means what he says. I would be more suspect of anything Dunta said. I can't remember AJ ever coming out and spouting untruths or selfishly motivated verbiage - why now?

Cut him some slack here.

buddyboy likes this.
  17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Then your getting from it what you WANT to get from it. Every year Kubiak has been here the talent has improved from the year before yet the result is the same in wins and losses, inconsistant play and poor coaching. To ignore this is to accept mediocrity.

18. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

The best things they can do to keep Kubes from getting fired:

1. Catch the damn touchdown when it's in your hands.
    2. Get in the film room, and gain some situational awareness.
    3. Don't false start on 4th down, or any attempt to gain a big 1st down.
    4. Wrap up when you tackle
    5. Catch the damn interception when it hits you in your hands.
    6. Make the damn cut block. Stop flailing on the ground like fish outta water.
    7. Don't throw the ball into quintuple coverage when you need a touchown.
    8. Tell ya coach it ain't cool calling a "QB Laydown" at the 40 yardline on MNF.
    9. Show up to meetings on time!
    10. If you play tightend on this team, don't fall down immediately after catch!

They do that, and Kubiak won't be fired.

19. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I think if AJ wanted HC changed than he won't metion to media. AJ is just telling like it is IMO.

Go Texans!!!

20. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

No one is suggesting anything negative about Johnson, simply that it is against his nature to make anything other than positive statements. Honestly have you ever heard him say anything even remotely negative? Did he have anything negative to say about Capers even after it was obvious even to the most oblivious koolaid drinking fans that it was time for him to go?