Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

Johnson made seven Pro Bowls and was a first-team All-Pro twice, which is usually enough for skill-position players to eventually work their way into Canton.

Dr. Doom made 7 straight Pro Bowls (his first 7 years in the league), was All Pro 5 of those times, revolutionized the position for players like Rickey Jackson and Lawrence Taylor, and is on the '70s All Decade team. Is not in the HOF.

Sorry, sore spot.

Dr. Doom made 7 straight Pro Bowls (his first 7 years in the league), was All Pro 5 of those times, revolutionized the position for players like Rickey Jackson and Lawrence Taylor, and is on the '70s All Decade team. Is not in the HOF.

Sorry, sore spot.

Man, it aggravates the crap out of me that Dr. Doom is not in. I have to give it to Pancakes for always advocating for him every year. I think he will have to do the same for A.J., especially as WR numbers continue to get bloated in this passing-rules-favored era of the NFL.

By the time A.J. retires and the 5 years pass, his numbers will get lost in the shuffle. And while a case can be made about QBs he's had and the team he played the majority of his career with, like Pancakes said awhile back, they will also look at the fact that A.J. chose to be here instead of seeking out a better QB and a better team.

I think A.J. should get in, but I'm biased about it, just like I am with Dr. Doom.

Reactions: JB
Man, it aggravates the crap out of me that Dr. Doom is not in. I have to give it to Pancakes for always advocating for him every year. I think he will have to do the same for A.J., especially as WR numbers continue to get bloated in this passing-rules-favored era of the NFL.

By the time A.J. retires and the 5 years pass, his numbers will get lost in the shuffle. And while a case can be made about QBs he's had and the team he played the majority of his career with, like Pancakes said awhile back, they will also look at the fact that A.J. chose to be here instead of seeking out a better QB and a better team.

I think A.J. should get in, but I'm biased about it, just like I am with Dr. Doom.

If just because I can't stand arguments against AJ getting in (no matter how reasonable), I'll counter with the fact that the guy has a pretty crystal clear reputation with the media (this part especially helps), fans, and just the league in general. I think his anti-Diva persona, in a Diva-centric world, will help him a good bit here. Perhaps someone else counters with his falling out with the Texans, but in 5 years post his career no one will care about that anymore and his rep will remain sterling and be it's own pedestal for his incredible play.

ps - I may go full on trench coat stupid if AJ doesn't get in in a timely manner.

If just because I can't stand arguments against AJ getting in (no matter how reasonable), I'll counter with the fact that the guy has a pretty crystal clear reputation with the media (this part especially helps), fans, and just the league in general. I think his anti-Diva persona, in a Diva-centric world, will help him a good bit here. Perhaps someone else counters with his falling out with the Texans, but in 5 years post his career no one will care about that anymore and his rep will remain sterling and be it's own pedestal for his incredible play.

ps - I may go full on trench coat stupid if AJ doesn't get in in a timely manner.

Yep, I agree. I think in the same way that T.O.'s personality and shenanigans clearly kept him out this year in spite of his numbers, A.J.'s history and personality will work in his favor to help get him in.

My own criteria for HoF is the question of "was this player the best at his position for a given time?" , and with A.J., the answer is clearly 'yes'. He was arguably the best WR for awhile there, and for me, that qualifies him more than any particular statistic.

Back when Andre pulled his holdout, I said:
Andre is fast approaching Bowe Bergdahl status in my eyes, and who wants someone like that on their team?
Even before he was released and signed with the Colts. But @infantrycak said I had "gone full on delusional"

I loved Dre and at first I thought he just wanted to win a championship before he retired and thought the Colts gave him that chance. And who could deny him that after languishing with the Texans for so many years. But now with this signing with the Titans. It's clear to me that this is all just sour grapes and a way to rub it in the Texans faces. He will suck all year, but have big games against the Texans. It's a very sad plot twist I never thought I would see.

Even before he was released and signed with the Colts. But @infantrycak said I had "gone full on delusional"

I loved Dre and at first I thought he just wanted to win a championship before he retired and thought the Colts gave him that chance. And who could deny him that after languishing with the Texans for so many years. But now with this signing with the Titans. It's clear to me that this is all just sour grapes and a way to rub it in the Texans faces. He will suck all year, but have big games against the Texans. It's a very sad plot twist I never thought I would see.

totally disagree with that take Nitro... I think he just wants to play but not many takers out there

I can't subscribe to this train of thought. I think AJ still thinks he has something left to contribute and still wants a chance to show it. And if he could have played for the Pats for league minimum vs. playing for the Titans for whatever they offered him, I'd bet my house he'd have gone to play for Brady & Belichick (with a chance for a Superb Owl ring) vs rubbing "it in the Texans' faces".
I believe only the Titans offered AJ a contract. Am I correct on this?

I really don't think at this point andre will even been in a Texans HOF or even come back to Houston and people will be like whatever ....and treat him like one of those old WR on the capers era Texans

I bought an Andre Johnson jersey today. First actual non-knockoff jersey I've bought in years. NFLShop.com has the Nike Elite's marked down to $107 from $295. Plenty of "fat boy sizes" left and I was thinking he's the first truly great Texans player. It's a jersey I won't wear much but I'll keep it forever and maybe one day at an autograph show I'll get a signature on it or something.

It just seemed like a good idea.

Arian Foster Nike Elite jerseys are $71 now.

"By Grabthar's Hammer........ what a savings."

"Did you guys ever WATCH the show?"

Tony Shalhoub absolutely cracks me up in that movie. Just the looks on his face while others are talking, the demeanor, everything.

The chompers scene was fantastic satire.

And the scene where they take the ship out for the first time ... I can never watch that without literally laughing out loud, late at night, usually annoying my wife LOL.

Damn, I am going to go turn it on right now.

AJTack_zpsszfdq4yj.jpg

There's an unmistakable sinister look in his eyes...........

Last edited:
Back