Andre Johnson has knee scoped 5/2012

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by redwhiteANDblue, May 21, 2012.

1. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

SR610: Andre Johnson will miss Texans OTA's after having arthroscropic surgery on his left knee two weeks ago. He expects to be back in time for training camp.

I don't know about y'all but this kind of scares me. No Schaub or AJ for OTAs. He would've been a key piece in the growth of all the rookie WRs.

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
    Texans Andre Johnson: "Had left knee scope" Had no pain before scope, no pain now. No need to panic.

Andre Johnson revealed Tuesday that he underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in early May.

Johnson insists he experienced no pain before the surgery, and is in no pain now. He's sitting out OTAs, but fully expects to be ready for training camp. While this doesn't sound like a major concern, surgeries are beginning to pile up for Johnson entering his age-31 campaign. He had ankle surgery last offseason, and hamstring surgery during the year. Johnson remains locked in as a top-five fantasy receiver for 2012, but his recovery is worth tracking.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1575/andre-johnson

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
    Andre Johnson said he hyperextended his knee last season at Jacksonville. Called it "nothing to panic about." #Texans

3. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

That sucks, I'm wondering why he couldn't have had this surgery several months ago. This will mean more reps. for our young WR's who need them badly and it's not like AJ doesn't know what he needs to do to be ready for the season. He'll be ready on opening day.

4. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

He can still mentor the young WRs from the sidelines. I don't see this as a big deal.

5. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

While I'm not a big fan of these developments, they don't scare me. OTAs are where the rookies and the newbies learn their places in our systems. Old hands like Schaub (I didn't see where he was missing OTAs but it wouldn't surprise me) and AJ only need to knock the off-season rust off, not learn the system.

As Wolf6151 said, this gives the younguns (Yates and our baby WRing corps) more reps to become acclimated so, hopefully, they'll be sharper during training camp and preseason when new wrinkles are added to the basics

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You and RedWhiteand Blue must have been composing your threads at the same time. Same info, seconds apart.
    :)

7. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

Haha well playoffs post is better! Mods delete mine!

8. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Last year, Dre said he felt "something" in pre-season but it didn't bug him for too long. Then the PIT game happened.

Much rather he get checked out in May. I ain't worried regardless. See y'all in New Orleans in Feb. 2013 though.

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Well, there goes the season. We'll be lucky to go 2-14. Sometimes the breaks ain't with us boys. Might as well update the HD home theater and prepare to rent a lot of movies. Maybe the alien spaceships will land and entertain us by blowing up buildings and stuff during the football season. That would be cool. :)

10. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
    #Texans @johnson80: "The past 2 seasons have been pretty rough for me... I want to get back to that 1,500-yard Andre." :doot:

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

[​IMG]

12. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Missing OTA's because of this means less than zero - to Andre, the rookies, and the Texans as a whole.

Missing more than OTA's because of this would be a completely different story.

13. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

If I believed any one player in the NFL when they say things like this it would be Andre. Guy is all class and a monster of a competitor.

drs23 likes this.
  14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yeah, people have knee surgery all of the time when their knee isn't hurting them?

15. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

I would guess it was more to clean up the injury from last year.

Need Cloak in here.

16. 281

281 Hall of Fame

there was probably some excess scar tissue... doesn't necessarily have to hurt.

17. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

It's a possibility. It's just a scope.

Andre might have gone to the doctor to get his knee checked prior to OTAs. The doctor might have seen something he didn't like and ordered the scope to prevent further damage.

18. Mike77015

Mike77015 Rookie

I agree the timing indicates scar tissue. There has been enough time passed to have a significant amount of it, and we are far enough from TC for him to fully recover.

19. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

OTA's are for rookies and free agents.......I would rather he did it now than at the start of training camp.......

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

From PK's AFC South blog...