Andre Johnson allegations

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texanchris, Aug 17, 2011.

1. texanchris

texanchris Veteran

2. Rey

Rey Guest

Get in trouble by whom?

3. texanchris

texanchris Veteran

I don't Know, I wasn't sure if they punished the players who received the improper benefits or if the just punished the university.

4. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

It's part of that whole Miami U scandal. The guy who is in jail and singing like a canary right now named like 70 players that he gave benefits to while they were at the U and Andre and Daryl Sharpton for the Texans he claims were given some benefits like VIP access and free drinks at a club and stuff.

Those are the only benefits I have heard that our Texans got so dar but I have not pulled up the link yet (my info just coming from what has been talked about on 610 today).

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Much ado about nada!!

6. BetaV1

BetaV1 Veteran

The topic title had me worried. I thought the NFL was going to hold an investigation into whether or not Andre is actually a cyborg.

Dodged a bullet there. :scare:

7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Up here they have been hounding Hester. Seems like he got alot of stuff.

My favorite part about all of these scandals is that Yahoo sports is showing how far and above they are compared to ESPN. They actually do real reporting and real journalism where they do interviews, etc. Oregon and now this. Guys like Wojo get all the inside NBA scoop. ESPN just reposts what they hear.

8. Rey

Rey Guest

I'm familar with the situation, just wondering how Andre would be punished for this...

9. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Will the Texans be put on probation by the NCAA?

:kitten:

10. HTown2ATX

I see. Nothing, it was just something of note since he was a Texan I guess.

The NCAA is a joke IMO. Dre's ring shouldn't be tarnished from his championship and MVP at the U.

11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Eric Winston said he heard of Shapiro, but couldn't pick him out in a line-up.

12. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

so with Larry Coker starting up football program here at UTSA, and he was around during all that, I am wondering if he gets dragged into it.

that was our selling point for him look at the job he did at Miami....(wah wah.. goes the trumpet)

13. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

He got some free drinks and VIP access. Big freakin' deal! That may amount to a couple of hundred dollars or so. It's not like the guy paid for him a new house, car, and lavish vacations abroad. The guy is a douche and is grabbing at straws if you ask me. How in the hell can you get in trouble for receiving drinks? I'd write the dude a check for couple of Benjamins and tell him to go and **** himself. Ass clown.

14. HTown2ATX

Andre just commented on it......said he is not worried about it and not a big deal and he can only speak for himself.

Dre said he doesn't remember any benefits like that. He said he is upset about it bt can't control it and he knows and Dre knows what really happened.

(typing as I listen...forgive any misspellings)

He says has not been contacted by anyone from NCAA or otherwise.

--That was it and was said right after morning practice just minutes ago.

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

It is my professional opinion that the Houston Texans should win a Super Bowl so AJ gets a nice ring to make up for this obvious injustice.

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Not really addressing AJ but there needs to be some sanity to this amateur athlete stuff. One, the rules should be uniform for all sports. If college football players can't charge to give tutoring to high school players then tennis and skiing team members shouldn't be allowed to give lessons. And they shouldn't be allowed to do endorsements if football players can't. Or flip it around and everyone can. Also there needs to be some de minimis understanding of ordinary life. It shouldn't be wrong to accept a drink from someone while they want to sit down and talk to you. It's ordinary life to buy drinks for other people.

Cjeremy635 likes this.
  17. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Here I was expecting Dre to have received some big time bonus. $10k in his locker when he got back or something. But all the asshat has is he paid for AJ to enjoy some VIP treatment and some drinks?

:spit:

No, Andre will not be getting in any kind of trouble for receiving free drinks.

18. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I agree 100% about there needing to be some sort of uniformity. I never gave it much of a thought before, but it makes perfect sense.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

QFT.

This, and the lack of a legit playoff system, is why I can't be bothered to watch college football (outside of my son's team, of course).

The ADs and bowl committee's have way too much power and it turns the entire industry into a freakin' joke.

20. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

You mean to tell me one the biggest recruits coming out of HS was paid/received extra benefits to go to a certain school. I'm shocked I tell you, utterly gob-smacked.

Yawn. Such a non-story.