Anatomy Of A Great Route: How Andre Johnson Is Molding DeAndre Hopkins Into A Monster

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Brett, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Brett

Brett Rookie

Full Article: http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/4...-how-andre-johnson-is-molding-deandre-hopkins

Enjoy!

thunderkyss likes this.
  2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Great read! Thanks for posting it. :thumbup

We are really going to miss AJ around these parts when he's gone.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Yeah Brett, thanks for posting.

Anyone notice Brooks getting totally blown up on that play?

[​IMG]

& that's Garrett Graham on the bottom, why does he wait for the LB to engage him? The LB is clearly waiting to see what happens, why don't Graham hook him & take him with the rest of the line?

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I honestly don't know what I'd do in this situation if I were Schaub.

[​IMG]

Knowing that Aj is going to break that route outside I'm happy that the FS stays high & on the hash. But with Sherman on Andre's outside hip, I'd have probably given up on that route & hit DeAndre on his outside route.

But surely Schaub's played with Andre long enough to know not to give up on that route.... tough call.

5. Brett

Brett Rookie

To be fair he was trying to slide to take on a 5i. He's naturally at a disadvantage to someone ripping from that far outside, but I'd prefer to NOT see that happen of course.

6. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

matt and andre had a inner uhhh comfort with each other Matt would sometimes throw to andre even if he was double teamed ifff the % was good

7. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

There's a lot of good stuff in there on Hopkins. I like it.

8. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Nope.

Was too busy watching Sherman... jockstrap... seperated.

Best ever, imo.

9. Scooter

Scooter Funky

two heavyweights going at it in that replay. andre, along with possibly reggie wayne, runs the best routes in football. he beat and spun the best CB in the league last year, and sherman is somehow still there just as the ball arrives. awesome video.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I wish I was as optimistic about Hopkins as you guys. I could pick a few plays by Gaffney where he does this stuff too.

Vinnie likes this.
  11. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

I agree. The one thing andre had and still have is speed. Hopkins doesn't strike fear vertically in dbs. That doesn't mean he can't or won't be a good wr. It just means he has to be more of a tactician to be effective. I think if all things are equal, posey has more physical attributes to become a #1 type wr.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I think Hopkins is ahead of the game. He did a very good job as a rookie. He doesn't have the physical skill set that a guy like AJ has, so he'll never really be a true #1 guy. But he can be a tactician that creates separation through technique and catches everything thrown his way, because the guy does have some sticky hands. So I think he can be a good #2 WR. They're still going to need a #1 guy at some point (soon), but I'm happy Hopkins has AJ to learn from for now.

We've all seen lots of WRs come along with the physical tools, but never put it together. Hopkins has what it takes upstairs and in terms of work ethic. What he lacks in physical tools, he can overcome to a large degree.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Depends how you look at it. I see it as a nice recovery and not giving up on the play. When I think of "blown up" I think of getting easily beaten and put on your ass (see Myers/Jenkins). I'd say it's a win for Brooks, but he should thank Schaub for the help.

All that said, I'm more surprised that Schaub maneuvered his way up in the pocket.

14. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Agreed. I was hoping for a much larger sample size when clicking the article.

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

No, I don't.

16. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

What I noticed was a bunch of pass interference that wasn't being called. At what point does pushing, grabbing and obstructing the receiver 6+ yards downfield warrant a flag?

17. revan

revan Veteran

When your opponent isn't Seattle. They got away with it all year long and the playoff game vs the 49ers was the most obvious of them all.

18. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I'm very optimistic about DeAndre. He had the 2nd lowest dropped passes rate in the league last year, behind only Fitzgerald. Drops killed the Patriots last year.

But I've always seen Nuk as a #2. Alshon Jeffrey, Roddy White, Randall Cobb all pretty important pieces as #2s.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1747621/hopkins.gif

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAZ8/q069EKCeA_8/deandre-hopkins-td-catch.jpg

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/11/dehop22.gif

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpre...catch-to-give-texans-a-chance-over-titans.gif

19. revan

revan Veteran

Nice GIFs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

Is it just me or has Nuk seemed to have found his version of Innegan in Jason McCourty? There may not be a large sample size here but it seems to me that the corner simply doesn't have an answer for Hopkins' sticky fingers.